Gem to Bahamas or Breakaway to Bermuda

summercruise2015

Would like to take my family (two children under 5) away this summer... and torn. Gem from NY to Bahamas in May, or Breakaway from NY to Bermuda in June.

Gem-

Major concern would be weather at sea from NY in May, would it be too cool that first day at sea?

Breakaway-

Is the boat too packed? cabins too small?

Has anyone done both itineraries?

We haven't done Breakaway, but have done Gem to Bahamas in late May and Dawn to Bermuda in both June and July. This would not even be a question for me -- Breakaway to Bermuda would be WAY better :)

The ship sounds awesome, the itinerary is much better, and we froze trying to stand outside for sailaway on the Gem at the end of May. Not to say we didn't enjoy our trip on the Gem -- we did -- but it would have to be really really cheap for me to choose it over another option.

I've done both itens, but different ships. I did Jewel (Gem's sister ship) to Bahamas/Florida, and Spirit & Grandeur Of The Seas to Bermuda. Personally, I prefer Bermuda. There is so much to see and do there, and you'll have a lot more time. Now, if you'd rather see different ports on different days, then you'll prefer the Bahamas/Florida cruise. Weather sailing from NYC in May should be fine. It might be a little chilly the day you leave, but you'll be in the pool by the next day. I sailed out of Baltimore this past May, and the weather was fine. Baltimore isn't much further south than NYC.

it's the same price just about... we have an aft mini suite booked on the gem. and a mini suite on hold on the breakaway. it comes out to the same price. to be honest I am sad we wouldn't have the large balcony:( but I would rather give up a bigger balcony for better weather.

I understand the first day would be chilly, I am more concerned about day 2 at sea, would that be warm? and would be very upset to say the least, to spend all this money to have cold weather. I am on a budget, and so that is why I am booking May/ June cruises.

as far as ports, not in love with port carnavel, but would do like bahamas. I've heard mixed reviews about Breakaway being too big, not enough space, balconies in the cabins too small, etc. but Bermuda does sound lovely.

it's the same price just about... we have an aft mini suite booked on the gem. and a mini suite on hold on the breakaway. it comes out to the same price. to be honest I am sad we wouldn't have the large balcony:( but I would rather give up a bigger balcony for better weather.

I understand the first day would be chilly, I am more concerned about day 2 at sea, would that be warm? and would be very upset to say the least, to spend all this money to have cold weather. I am on a budget, and so that is why I am booking May/ June cruises.

as far as ports, not in love with port carnavel, but would do like bahamas. I've heard mixed reviews about Breakaway being too big, not enough space, balconies in the cabins too small, etc. but Bermuda does sound lovely.

Unless you're in a B6 or M6 on Breakway (or aft-facing) the balcony is smaller than balcony or mini on Gem. However the cabin on Breakaway would be a bit roomier.

We have had hot weather cruising to the Caribbean from NYC in May. Even April for that matter. Toward the end of the first day at sea we're already in shorts. And one time returning back to NYC in May the sea was so calm it was shiny. I'll never forget it.

Truly, either ship is great and I'd go on either in a second. And I am! :)

I did the GEM last July to Florida & the Bahamas with my 2 kids under 5.

We absolutely loved the ship. It has everything you need. I also think the location of our cabin had a big factor in making our trip great - We had a mid ship mini suite located right downstairs from the Garden Buffet & the Splash Academy - literally just steps away. The itinerary was okay .... If it wasn't for our visit to NASA Space Center in Cape Canaveral, & our day pass at the Melia in Nassau, I would have hated the itinerary. Every port day seemed a bit rushed, and honestly, there was no WOW factor @ those ports (for me at least). I think it is better geared toward more older kids, maybe? Unless of course you want to visit the Atlantis, then maybe this would be a good choice.

We are going on the Breakaway to Bermuda at the end of May. I really like the idea that she ship is docked for three whole days. It gives me the sense of "the best of both worlds" - both a land vacation as well as a cruise. Three days docked means we have plenty of time to explore the island & we could basically come & go as we please. I also like that there is a ton of additional amenities on the Breakaway that the Gem did not have (Aqua water park, cupcake decorating class, pizza making... etc).

My only hope & concern is that that we have good weather. I never cruised out of NY at the end of May so I'm hoping its warm enough for a beautiful sail away on deck. Also, the Breakaway is a MUCH LARGER ship than the GEM, so while I'm anticipating a lot more people on beard, I am going to *try* to take things in stride!

Whichever you chose, your family will have a great time. Splash Academy is wonderful.

We have done both sailings......You can't predict mother nature. One year in January (Gem)we had such teriffic weather my DD was in the pool on the first sea day, but once in June (BA) we couldn't even go outside the weather was so poor. Hard to decide between the two ships and itineraries. My children would of been happy to go to more ports than just one....the pool area much better, bigger on the Gem....Gem less crowded than the BA

Keep us posted on your decision

We were looking for a last-minute cruise in August a few years ago, and I was between NYC -> Bermuda or NYC -> Bahamas. In the process of researching, I found a thread like this one, where someone else was between those two itineraries. Everyone in the thread emphatically recommended Bermuda, and spoke so highly of it that I decided on Bermuda.

We've been back to Bermuda every year since then. It is a wonderful place. :D

I would definitely vote for the Breakaway. There's so much to do onboard. The ship is big, yes, but with a balcony, you'll have your own private space to get away from it all. Crowds weren't an issue for us; we only really noticed them on the second sea day on the way to Bermuda.

Once you get there, you'll find so much to do in Bermuda that 3 days won't seem like enough.