Hop on-off bus in Stockholm

mek

Has anyone done the hop on-off bus in Stockholm? If so, do you recall what it cost? My DH and I have decided to take the train but want to do the bus tour. Sounds like this isn't included in the Stockholm card, so we probably won't buy it, We are trying to figure out how much Swedish curency we will need for the day.

mek,

One person posted that the folks at the information center suggested that it would take too much time to take the hop on/off bus and would be quicker to take the public bus - which is included, along with admissions, in the Stockholm card.

This is from my collection of posts, reviews etc. for Stockholm - I'm not sure if it's 2004 information, but it will give you an idea - also has a website you can check out.

Stockholm has a hop on hop off bus. I just received a brochure. Here's the info I took off http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/SimplePage.aspx?id=6454Open Top Tours

A sightseeing tour of Stockholm in open-top double-decker buses. The Stockholm Card gives a SEK 30 discount for adults, SEK 15 discount for children. May-Sep: Departure every 30 min at all stops 9.30 am - 5 pm. First stop by the Swedenhouse. Ord admission: SEK 170, child SEK 85. With the Stockholm Card: discount SEK 30, child SEK 15.

Here's another reference to the hop on/off bus:

Open Top tours Stockholm offers a hop on Hop On Hop Off bus tour that passes many of Stockholm’s sights – Vasa museum, Skansen, Djurgardsbron (historical museum), Strureplan shopping center, Stockholm Palace and Gamla Stan, Royal Opera, City Hall. Ticket is good for a whole day. You can see their info at: http://www.stockholmsightseeing.com/opentoptours/index.htm

And, one more comment I found about it:

Our first bit of business was to buy tickets on the open-air double-decker bus which does a hop-on, hop-off tour of the city. The driver's first order of business after picking us up was to pull in under the trees, keep the canvas top secured, and get off to have a coffee explaining that he'd missed breakfast that morning. We waited for ten minutes until he was finished, asked him to open the roof, which he did cheerfully, and we took off with the provided headsets tuned to the English language option, always a good idea for us. Swedish is just too tricky when driving along in an open vehicle.

Deuteronomy 4:29

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

Hi Julie - I do recall the remark concerning the amount of time to take the hop on/off bus, however I thought that was because the person wanted to go to the Vasa Museum. It sounded to me if we passed on the museum, time wouldn't be a problem. If we arrive in Stockholm around 10am and depart at 3pm, that should give us 5 hours - I would think that would be enough time to do the bus.

mek,

I'm sure you are right. If you do not go to Djurgarden 5 hours should allow plenty of time to take the hop on/off to see the Royal Palace, Gamla Stan and City Hall.

Our plan of attack is to catch the bus outside the train station and get on over to Djurgarden to see the Vasa & Nordic Museums, & maybe take a quick pass through Skansen. Then we'll take the bus or the ferry back & cover the other areas by foot. (I think everything is close enough --??) We are not much for shopping, so don't plan to need time to do that.

We will order the Stockholm Card online and hopefully the guidebook that comes with it will give us a good idea whether or not our plans are good ones.

Julie

Deuteronomy 4:29

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

I received my Stockholm card & booklet already...It has maps with bus route numbers & T-bane lines (subways in Stockholm apparently have beautiful artwork and decor worth seeing). With this in hand, I don't think I'll have a problem using the public transit there. The same goes for the Oslo card and booklet.

I agree not to miss the Vasa Museum - and you can walk from there to Skansen, a very interesting outdoor folk park with typical buildings brought from all over Sweden, similar to Old Stockbridge in Massachusetts or Williamsburg.

We were there for several days - tried the Open Top bus the first day and found it a waste of money - it took much to long. We then bought a Stockholm Card and used public transportation which was very modern and easy to use. All the signs were in English as well as Swedish, and almost everyone we met spoke English as well.

FLJudi

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Constellation British Isles and Norwegian Fjords

• 3 months later...

Just returned from baltics first of June. You can purchase your ticket for hop on hop off bus right on the pier. It was 17.00 each person for all day. We made a mistake however. We spent nearly two hours watching the changing of the guard and it was BORING! Wasted too much time. Do not miss the Gamla Stan, old town, about three blocks from the Royal Palace. Ride bus all over town and then get off at Vasa museum. A must. Not enough time in Stockholm, so keep moving.

Chip

Just returned from baltics first of June. You can purchase your ticket for hop on hop off bus right on the pier. It was 17.00 each person for all day. We made a mistake however. We spent nearly two hours watching the changing of the guard and it was BORING! Wasted too much time. Do not miss the Gamla Stan, old town, about three blocks from the Royal Palace. Ride bus all over town and then get off at Vasa museum. A must. Not enough time in Stockholm, so keep moving.

Chip

Have to agree about the so-called changing of the guard. If you are in town for just a very short time don't go out of your way to see it.

Al

We just got back from Baltic Cruise on Grand Princess. It was wonderful. Will try to post full review when I wake up. Anyway, re: Hop On Hop Off Buses - we tried them in Copenhagen and were very disappointed with them. They are a waste of time and money. The driver did not stop at every stop and we frequently had no idea where we were as the head sets often did not work - I would say they worked about 50% of the time. Consequently, we did not use them in any other cities.

Now Vasa Museum - absolutely not to be missed. My husband and I both were amazed and had never seen anything like it anywhere else.

Weather was hot and sunny for our entire cruise!!! From what I have read here, we were really lucky, but should have brought more tank tops. We did not need sweaters at all on the cruise and only in the evening in Copenhagen.

Also, not to be missed - Sculpture Garden in Oslo - as long as you can deal with naked sculpture that is rather detailed.

Bobbie

Archived