Help Me Decide On Which Tour In Naples?

HLGW60

We will be cruising the Mediterranean again in 2016. Last time we chose Capri for our shore excursion in Naples but this time I wanted to include the Amalfi Coast. Btw....we skipped Pompeii last time. The two tours I am considering are 1) Positano, Ravello, and Amalfi and 2) Pompeii, Sorrento, and Positano.

Which one would you choose and why? I can't make up my mind.:confused

The first concentrates on the Amalfi coast, including the high winding road perched on the side of the cliffs from Positano to Amalfi, and up from Amalfi to Ravello for an even more spectacular view.

The second combines Pompeii with a sniff of the Amalfi coast.

Afficionados of ancient history wouldn't want either tour - they'd prefer to spend all day at Pompeii, or perhaps combine it with Herculaneum or the Archaeology museum in Naples which contains most of the artefacts from Pompeii.

Those who love lazy days & sweeping views would spend all day on the Amalfi coast.

The combi-tour is for the standard tourist who wants to see as much as possible in the timespan.

I'm not into dusty ancient sights & I love the Amalfi coast.

But if you've already been to Capri & viewed its coast from on high .................

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Was just thinking that JB would prefer to go to a nice pub :). But seriously, we do agree with JB that combining the Amalfi Coast with a visit to Pompeii is pushing the envelope...although it can be done. So, if you are really interested in ruins then we do think Pompeii is a great place to visit and there are also the ruins at Herculaneum. In fact, if somebody really wants to get "ruined" you can get a combination ticket to get into both places and manage it via trains.

As to the Amalfi Coast (an area we know well) our recommended priorities would be Positano, Ravello, and Amalfi (in that order of preference). A tour that includes all 3 of those towns will give you a good idea of what the Amalfi Coast is all about. As to Sorrento, although it might be considered the gateway to the Amalfi Coast it is not actually part of that coast. And unlike some folks, we are just not big fans of Sorrento. It is the main shopping city for the Italians who live on the coast (that is where they take their kids for the back to school sales) and it does have one decent tourist area, but we just do not think that Sorrento has the charm you find along the coast.

Hank

Heading back to visit Naples (port of call) for our 5th time in early May.

Will be doing the SAME tour we always do…… yep its that good.

We will get off the ship soon after docking and with our private driver head straight to Pompeii. 2 hours there with a guide. We usually hit the highlights and some different areas each time we go….. thanks to a great guide !

Then we head to Ravello, then Amalfi and finally Positano…… we usually have between 1 hr to 1.5 hrs in each village.

Finally we head to Sorrento where we go directly to the ferry landing and our driver buys our tickets and makes sure we get on the correct ferry. 35-40 minutes later we dock very near our ships berth and walk back and board.

Very fully day but one we enjoy a lot !

Now, you didn't say when in 2016 you will there, so that could factor in your experience. We always travel off-season (or early or late season) so not as much traffic, crowds, lines etc…… but with a really good tour company you can plan your day as they know what can and can't be done in your time frame.

We agree with other posters about Sorrento…. the other 3 villages have much more charm and views !

Edited by texancruzer

Have to admit that Texancruzer's post makes a lot of sense for anyone willing to spend the big bucks (Euros) on a private car/driver. That would work well on a long port day. Thinking out loud, another option on that kind of tour (avoiding the ferry) would be to do Positano, then work your away along the Amalfi Coast with the last stop at Ravello. From Ravello there is a back road (not the Amalfi Drive) that connects with the major Autostrade and can get you back to Naples in less then an hour.

Hank

Was just thinking that JB would prefer to go to a nice pub :).

Hank

And why not, Hank. ;)

Spectacular views from the terraces of bars especially in Ravello.

A glass or three of red, mebbe sample a local Limoncello.

Probably no good for you though - I doubt you'll find any Guinness. :p

Yes, the Texan has the right idea. :)

And not necessarily too expensive if the OP can share a van for such a tour. Worth asking on the RollCall?

My husband and I drove the West coast of Italy, crossing over at Naples, to Sicily, then back up the East coast of Italy. I closed my eyes a lot of the times on those coastal roads.

Therefore, I opted for Pompeii and Sorrento when my friend and I went on our Med cruise. I have a fear of heights, and didn't want those GREAT SCENIC views from the Amalfi Coast road, but wanted my friend to see just a little of the Italian coast and Sorrento filled the bill.

Really depends on what you want out of your trip. Have a Plan "A", then also a Plan "B" for when Plan A falls apart, and still be prepared to just go with the flow when both Plan A and B fall apart. I may just be unlucky, but it has happened a lot.

My vote is for #1 because that's basically our 2014 itinerary. We first explored the narrow streets of POSITANO with its numerous boutiques as we wended our way toward the beach. Our excellent and safe driver then headed Southeast past a number of picturesque fishing villages on our way to visit AMALFI. Afterwards, we continued on up to RAVELLO and its breathtaking view of the coastline. Our next stop was a winery at the base of Mount Vesuvius in NAPLES for a short tour, wine tasting, and a delicious multi-course lunch.

We had previously toured POMPEII with a private guide during our cruise in 2008.

Hope this information helps!

And why not, Hank. ;)

Spectacular views from the terraces of bars especially in Ravello.

A glass or three of red, mebbe sample a local Limoncello.

Probably no good for you though - I doubt you'll find any Guinness. :p

Yes, the Texan has the right idea. :)

And not necessarily too expensive if the OP can share a van for such a tour. Worth asking on the RollCall?

ROFL. DW loves Limincello and Ravello does have some of the best. They probably have Guinness in the cans, but we would probably settle for a nice glass of good Italian Sangiovese.

Hank