Visiting Rome

vicky2015

I am going on Britannia cruise ship and wondering what trip is worth doing there is Pisa on your own for 3 hours or Florence and Pisa for 9 hours but then the next day I'm doing a Rome trip and there all 9 hours just thinking it could be to much being back to back but like the idea anyone done these trip thanks

Depending on your age range and stamina I would probably say do the 3 hour trip the day before Rome rather than both days at 9 hours.

Rome can be a very tiring/demanding day.

However if you are not a regular cruiser and these ports are a one time only visit then just go for 9 hours both days and you can recuperate on the next sea day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going on Britannia cruise ship and wondering what trip is worth doing there is Pisa on your own for 3 hours or Florence and Pisa for 9 hours but then the next day I'm doing a Rome trip and there all 9 hours just thinking it could be to much being back to back but like the idea anyone done these trip thanks

Sometimes you get Naples as well making 3 long days on the trot ! - but if this is the only time you plan to visit - assuming you are fit and well, don't miss either. I frankly wouldn't do 3 hr Pisa on your own anyway, not really enough at Pisa. I would not miss Florence if you have not been before, we have found that Florence is not as tiring as Rome, much more contained.

Sometimes you get Naples as well making 3 long days on the trot ! - but if this is the only time you plan to visit - assuming you are fit and well, don't miss either. I frankly wouldn't do 3 hr Pisa on your own anyway, not really enough at Pisa. I would not miss Florence if you have not been before, we have found that Florence is not as tiring as Rome, much more contained.

I disagree with dismissing the Pisa on your own. Taking into account travelling time and the walk to the Pisa complex from the car park, you perhaps get around 75 minutes. If you get there early, it will be less crowded. We were amongst the first to buy tickets (not expensive) to go inside the Baptistry and Cathedral and for a few minutes, we were alone in the Baptistry. If you go up to the balcony in the Baptistry, you can take a fabulous photo of the Cathedral with the top of the tower visible behind it. They have even cut out a small section of the wire mesh covering the windows to allow for photographs. The interior of the Cathedral is well worth a look if that is your interest. I thought it was a fabulous morning!

depending on your age range and stamina i would probably say do the 3 hour trip the day before rome rather than both days at 9 hours. I agree

rome can be a very tiring/demanding day. I agree

however if you are not a regular cruiser and these ports are a one time only visit then just go for 9 hours both days and you can recuperate on the next sea day. like yourself.

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

:d:d:d

Edited by tjwa

Thank you well I'm in my 30s so I could probably do both no problem it's just so many little towns to visit on one trip as Its my second cruise and won't be going for a while as my husband doesn't like cruises [emoji45] not that he has been

Florence is quite possible as a DIY in a day, so you could tailor your visit to see your choice of the highlights and save energy for Rome, which people might tell you can be DIY, but which isn't really in my view, unless you like to live dangerously. We had an overnight in Livorno on Azamara on our last cruise but chose to go to Florence on the second day and we were still back at a time which would easily have met a P&O departure time with an hour to spare. There were also loads of taxis at the port offering the round trip and you could save even more energy by taking one of those, though you'd have to share with somebody to make it cheaper than the P&O - On Your Own price, I think.

There's a good bus service up the main street from the port in Livorno (why do we call Livorno by its Italian name but Florence by its anglicised name?) to the station and then a good service to Florence from there. Online information is accurate. Bus tickets can be bought at one of the little shops near the port gate and there was no queue at the station for train tickets, so it was actually pretty slick.

Florence is compact whereas Rome is definitely spread out. Rome's buses and the underground are easy enough to use and you can minimise the walking by taking them, enabling you to see more in the time, though I do think Rome is a nice place to wander in, if you've got the time. Some friends said to me that they thought Rome was just a route march but I think they'd booked a guided walking tour by mistake (this may have been an excursion from Canberra, so not entirely representative of this year's offerings from P&O!).

I think that most places need more time than you get on a cruise stop and we've found that you can build up quite a lot of places to go back to for a more leisurely visit (or not). When we're going to visit all these places I'm not sure, but we add a few each time we go cruising.

Tony