Travel Guard Gold Trip Cost for Early Saver

eweiss1979

I have one more day to purchase a Travel Guard insurance policy since I paid my Early Saver Deposit 13 days ago.

This is the first cruise for my family.

This is for a March 2016 cruise for 5 in the same cabin. We are driving to the port. 2 adults , 3 children.

What should I put into the Trip Cost fields?

So far I have only paid the deposit of $1000 ($200 each).

The Early Saver (ES) fare was $1395.00

Taxes: $323.90

So the current balance due is $718.90

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Carnival will refund the taxes in the event of cancellation. But they will not refund the ES fare.

I'm thinking the correct thing to do would be to put the total fare into the Trip Cost field ($1395) (separated out by passenger) on the Travel Guard website. This gives me an online premium quote of $87.00 .

If I put in just the Deposit amounts ($1000) that I have paid to date then I get a premium quote of $75.00 .

I want to make sure I am covered in the event I have to cancel for an approved reason either before final payment or after final payment.

The instruction on the page says this:

TRIP COST

Trip Cost refers to the total prepaid and non-refundable expenses already submitted toward the trip regardless of who booked the arrangements. This does not include estimated or anticipated costs that have not yet been paid.

Also with Early Saver I understand that there is a possibility that the final payment could be reduced if the fares drop before now and final payment date. In this case has anyone had any experience with adjusting their Travel Guard Insurance Policy to match? Would they refund any of the premium in this event?

Contact Steve (or his agents) at

TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL them (don't just read the website summaries).

You should probably rely upon an insurance agent/broker for travel insurance, just like you'd use a travel agent for the travel itself.

For one thing, each has a separate specialty.

For another, you won't be "shown" insurance choices that are only linked to the specific cruise line or travel agency.

Unlike travel costs, insurance is a regulated industry, so the cost for the identical policy will be the same regardless of where you get it.

You want to know about the best choices for your circumstances.

Also, many policies have a 21 day window to include the waiver of pre-existing condition exclusions or to include the CFAR coverage ... but NOT ALL OF THEM. Some do have less time.

And there are some you can purchase as late as when you make the largest non-refundable payment, such as final full cruise payment, or air fare. That could be a year later.

And... many policies only charge you for non-refundable costs "to date" and you can bump up the coverage as you add more costs.

No need to estimate, or to pay insurance for costs not yet incurred.

Ask the "experts" :)

GeezerCouple

I contacted tripinsurancestore.com. They told me a better policy was the Travel Insured International's Worldwide Trip Protector Plan.

It was better in the Emergency Medical Transportation category.

The premium for all 5 of us was $82.00 .

They said to round up to the nearest $500.00 per person when calculating prepaid nonrefundable trip costs. Therefore each person is covered to a limit of $500 per person even though the children are the 3,4, and 5th passenger rates are way below that. The Children get to ride on the policy for free so it didn't make a difference in the total premium cost.

So that is policy I have now.

I contacted tripinsurancestore.com. They told me a better policy was the Travel Insured International's Worldwide Trip Protector Plan.

It was better in the Emergency Medical Transportation category.

The premium for all 5 of us was $82.00 .

They said to round up to the nearest $500.00 per person when calculating prepaid nonrefundable trip costs. Therefore each person is covered to a limit of $500 per person even though the children are the 3,4, and 5th passenger rates are way below that. The Children get to ride on the policy for free so it didn't make a difference in the total premium cost.

So that is policy I have now.

We've had the Travelinsured policies with them, too.

(And when we got the insurance for another family we took with us last year, the little one was free, too. I had forgotten about that.)

We always need to get the waiver for any pre-existing condition exclusions.

Don't forget to insure ALL non-refundable costs, but not anything that is refundable.

Glad you found a policy you liked.