Grand Turk - lighthouse

beshears

I know I could go to the Grand Turk area, but though someone on here might be able to advise me.

I read where we could take an Island Tram Tour, and it would take us by the lighthouse. If you have taken the Island Tram Tour, where can we pick it up,and what is the cost, and how long is the tour, or do they have different tours?

I know I could go to the Grand Turk area, but though someone on here might be able to advise me.

I read where we could take an Island Tram Tour, and it would take us by the lighthouse. If you have taken the Island Tram Tour, where can we pick it up,and what is the cost, and how long is the tour, or do they have different tours?

Somehow, I think you're on the wrong forum. This is the forum for the American Queen Steamboat, a replica of a Mark Twain era paddlewheeler that sails the American Rivers. I don't think it would even be possible for a steam powered riverboat to get near Grand Turk...

Well, maybe, there are instances where flat bottom paddlewheel riverboats went to sea! The DELTA QUEEN was towed through the Pacific Ocean, Panama Canal, and Caribbean Sea when she was brought around from California, and the AMERICAN QUEEN came from the bayou country, where she was built, to the Mississippi River via the Gulf of Mexico. The locks on the Intercoastal Waterway are to small for the AQ to lock through. Paddlewheel steamboats were built and sent to Mexico by the James Rees and Sons Shipyard in Pittsburgh, Pa, at the turn of the last century. Captain Frederick Way, Jr. wrote that one such boat even carried a herd of cattle during the delivery trip, and all arrived safe and sound. Also that was the same shipyard where the centenarian steamboat BELLE OF LOUISVILLE was built, so you know they built tough little boats.

I'm sitting in South Carolina now, and in the early 1900's a steamboat named the RUTH, after serving on the Ohio River, under her own power was brought down the Mississippi, into the Gulf, around Key West, and up the Atlantic coast to operate the rest of her life from Georgetown, SC up the Congaree River to Columbia.

With all that being said, I wouldn't count on any steamboat service to Grand Turk, and there are other boards where the OP's question could be better answered.

Edited by Calliope