Oceana cruise excursions

AndreaC

I and adult DD are on Oceana 24th June and calling at Genoa, Livorno, Naples, Dubrovnik and Venice.:D:D

I have seen a Youtube video about getting the train from Livorno to Florence and might try it.

This might be a bit too scary time wise

I am also looking at Aldoslimos for Naples and Amalfi Coast, but will do Venice and Dubrovnik by ourselves for definite.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the 27th may. Ports are Livorno, Naples, Dubrovnik & Venice. We are travelling with 3 children age 2, 6 & 14.

We have a sling for the younger one to carry her on our back. This is the first time in Italy, so want to take in as much as possible but also don't want to hold back or annoy other adults on tours.

Has anyone done excursions in these ports with children.

Hi Primrose76. You are probably better doing Venice and Dubrovnik on your own via the ship's shuttles. Both easy to do. In Venice you'll get dropped off near to St Marks Square and in Dubrovnik right by the gates to the City. We haven't done them with children but if you go via the shuttle you can pace yourself.

P&O do a very good value tour from Livorno to Lucca, which is a beautiful walled city, without the hordes of tourists in Florence. It was a four hour tour, which gave us about 2:30 hrs free time in Lucca. I think the cost was around £30 ish pounds each, or maybe even a little bit less.

We have just been on that cruise 1st April. Did train to Pisa 5 euro return for both you can catch a bus (outside h&m) that takes you to the train station. Did Rome also be train 24 euro is a return ticket for 2. It was all very simple.

Enjoy your holiday.

Hayley

Has anybody used these www.tuscanybus.com, looks like they offer a return coach service from the shuttle drop off point in Livorno to Pisa or Florence at about half the P&O price with a choice of departure times. Be good to hear if anyone has used them, although I think it may be a fairly new service.

What a brave and independent lot you are! Having come unstuck on foreign holidays before when we have managed to get ourselves (a) completely lost, and (b) inadvertently in a red light district when in Spain (Me to hubby, "Oh, look ... all the women like to sit outside their front doors here", .... he then helpless with laughter as we got closer and realised why they were sitting outside ....). well, taking all that into account we are going to play it completely safe in Rome, Florence and Venice and stick with P and O organised trips and never mind the crowds, but perhaps we will venture around Dubrovnik on our own :)

To be honest we normally play safe and end up booking P&O tours for the convenience, we did the Venice to Genoa leg last year, got the Shuttle in Venice which was convenient but not that cheap, Kotor is a short walk from the quay and a lovely place to wander round, the more energetic walked round the walls, we got the shuttle into Corfu and had a wander and took a local bus tour, in Rome we did the P&O tour to the Colliseum etc which gave us spare time in the afternoon so we went to the Trevi Fountain and other sights. Next stop was Corsica where we took a sightseeing bus along the coast.

We are on Oceana from this Wednesday for a week, will try to get to Florence I think, in Naples as we have already been to Pompeii, depending on the weather we may try the hydrofoil to Sorrento or maybe the train to Herculaneum. The shuttle and a wander in Dubrovnik and hopefully give the vaporreto's a try in Venice.

Looking forward to it whatever we end up doing:)

Edited by zendog

Re Venice. I would definitely DIY in Venice. Not sure where the ship will berth but there will be a vaparetto for a couple of euros to St Marks Square. It's always busy so imagine it would be hard to keep a walking tour group together. Also so much to see being on your own means you can stop and stare whenever you like. And there's a lot to stare at! Best way of seeing buildings is to get the Number 1 bus which goes from the station down the Grand Canal to San Marco or vice versa. Also cheap gondola ride is to get one which crosses the Grand canal in various places - used by locals.

Sure whatever you do you will love it. Writing about it makes me want to visit again. Have fun