Anyone have first hand experience using Medjet assist or global evacuation insurance?

allison0523

Hi. We are looking for medical evacuation insurance like medjet assist or global and I wondered if anyone has first hand experiences with either that they would like to share. Looks like the biggest difference is global will come and get you anywhere where medjet picks you up at the hospital. We already have 3rd party travel insurance to cover everything else but don't want an insurance company deciding where we can seek treatment in a foreign country. Thank you for any replies.

Hi. We are looking for medical evacuation insurance like medjet assist or global and I wondered if anyone has first hand experiences with either that they would like to share. Looks like the biggest difference is global will come and get you anywhere where medjet picks you up at the hospital. We already have 3rd party travel insurance to cover everything else but don't want an insurance company deciding where we can seek treatment in a foreign country. Thank you for any replies.

We certainly agree with the "not wanting an insurance company making decisions about whether the medical care is suitable", etc.

What is "global"?

You don't need to be an inpatient for them to medevac you out/home?

How is the decision made about whether you qualify for their service?

(I mean, surely they wouldn't medevac you to a hospital near home because you had a cold. Not trying to be snarky, really. Just trying to understand how the coverage would work, when it would "kick in".)

Thanks!

GeezerCouple

I get what you are saying. Most travel insurance will cover your transportation to the nearest facility capable of handling your emergency. Medjet and global evacuation will go above and beyond that to make arrangements to get you to the hospital of your choice (as long as you are medically stable for the trip) once a doctor determines you require inpatient care. The insurance kicks in whenever you are 150 miles from home. We have a son with major medical problems and our track record of requiring emergency services/hospitalization while away from home is not good. Therefore, we feel better having the extra insurance in place.

I get what you are saying. Most travel insurance will cover your transportation to the nearest facility capable of handling your emergency. Medjet and global evacuation will go above and beyond that to make arrangements to get you to the hospital of your choice (as long as you are medically stable for the trip) once a doctor determines you require inpatient care. The insurance kicks in whenever you are 150 miles from home. We have a son with major medical problems and our track record of requiring emergency services/hospitalization while away from home is not good. Therefore, we feel better having the extra insurance in place.

Still not sure what this "global" coverage is.

MedJetAssist will get you to the hospital of your own choice (in home country, as I understand it, at least for USA residents) as long as, yes, you are at least 150 miles from home.

(So, good for regular business trips, too, not just "serious/distant travel" - convenient just in case...)

One must be ADMITTED as an inpatient.

That's what I'm not clear about with this "global" policy, that they will "come get you anywhere". Under what conditions will they "come get you", if you don't need to be hospitalized?

We'd really like to know more about this.

Thanks!

GeezerCouple

It's easier if you just google it. But they will perform field rescues if say you are hiking in a remote area and fall breaking your leg. I don't exactly know all the ins and outs of it. And medjet assist has different types of coverage that does extend internationally. Long and short term.

It's easier if you just google it. But they will perform field rescues if say you are hiking in a remote area and fall breaking your leg. I don't exactly know all the ins and outs of it. And medjet assist has different types of coverage that does extend internationally. Long and short term.

Okay, thanks.

I know what type of coverage you are referring to now.

I'll double check it again, but that's probably not the type of coverage we need for the types of trips we are taking, and the locations where we'll be.

But I'll give it another look anyway, just in case it is relevant, now or later.

Thanks for your patience! :)

GeezerCouple

• Administrators
We certainly agree with the "not wanting an insurance company making decisions about whether the medical care is suitable", etc.

What is "global"?

You don't need to be an inpatient for them to medevac you out/home?

How is the decision made about whether you qualify for their service?

(I mean, surely they wouldn't medevac you to a hospital near home because you had a cold. Not trying to be snarky, really. Just trying to understand how the coverage would work, when it would "kick in".)

Thanks!

GeezerCouple

Hey! Just wanted to share that "global" is a company by the full name of Global Rescue (https://www.globalrescue.com/) Why I know these things, who knows!

Al

Edited by ACruiseGuy

That's the one I was talking about. On a side note, we were in Branson, MO on vacation (12 hour drive) when my husband got suddenly sick and I took him to the ED, where he was admitted due to gallstones. They took his gallbladder out the next morning. If we would have had this coverage, we could have arranged to have him flown home to have the surgery there where we had support and the comforts of home.

That's the one I was talking about. On a side note, we were in Branson, MO on vacation (12 hour drive) when my husband got suddenly sick and I took him to the ED, where he was admitted due to gallstones. They took his gallbladder out the next morning. If we would have had this coverage, we could have arranged to have him flown home to have the surgery there where we had support and the comforts of home.

My understanding is that if one of us had this and was medically stable to be medevac'd, MedJetAssist would do this, as long as we were at least 150 miles from home.

That's the point, but hopefully we'll never need it.

If we are too sick to travel by medevac or to delay surgery/etc., well... then we are where we are...

That's why it's nice to have the annual policy, so the regular business/vacation trips are "covered" as well as more distant travel.

(The difference is that in the USA, our regular medical insurance would cover any emergency care, so we don't need regular travel/medical insurance for that.)

GeezerCouple

• 8 months later...

Most people reviewing MedJet Assist say they never had to use it but they like it for “peace of mind.” I’ve had it for years and never had to use it, but when I did, I found out my peace of mind was misplaced.

My husband and I live in NY and were on a cruise in South Korea last Wednesday when he suffered massive rectal bleeding. We went to a hospital in South Korea and the doctor said we should not remain on the ship, but my husband could travel by air to go home to have surgery or other treatment. We had 3 hours to finish paper work at the hospital, get back to the ship, pack up, make arrangements, and get off the ship before it left the port. I called MedJet and the representative told me that unless my husband was in the hospital, MedJet could not assist me. I explained that he had just left the hospital merely to get ship personnel’s help in making arrangements (which involved 3 airports, 3 flights, one hotel, 4 car-and-drivers) and getting our belongings off the ship before it left. The rep insisted that unless my husband was currently in the hospital he could do nothing to help me. I then had 2 hours to make our own commercial arrangements, but when we got home, I read MedJet Assist materials. Massive bleeding may be considered a major medical event, but even if it were considered merely a minor medical emergency, MedJet was supposed to “determine the appropriate means of transport.” I made the rep repeat several times that if my husband was not currently in the hospital, MedJet would not assist me--no other choices even though he had just come from the hospital.

I think if MedJet is successful it’s because almost everyone who pays never attempts to use its services!

Sorry about your husbands illness. I hope everything turned out okay. However, I think it's pretty clear on medjets website and in their brochure that they will only transfer you from a medical facility when hospitalized. So, why didn't you just take your husband back to the hospital and call medjet to have them arrange transfer home?

My first thought also was why you didn't just go back to the hospital to have Medjet arrange transportation. Then I reread your post and it said you left the hospital to have the ships' personnel help you arrange the flights home and it sounds like that was before you contacted Medjet. Could be I am misreading.

Most people reviewing MedJet Assist say they never had to use it but they like it for “peace of mind.” I’ve had it for years and never had to use it, but when I did, I found out my peace of mind was misplaced.

My husband and I live in NY and were on a cruise in South Korea last Wednesday when he suffered massive rectal bleeding. We went to a hospital in South Korea and the doctor said we should not remain on the ship, but my husband could travel by air to go home to have surgery or other treatment. We had 3 hours to finish paper work at the hospital, get back to the ship, pack up, make arrangements, and get off the ship before it left the port. I called MedJet and the representative told me that unless my husband was in the hospital, MedJet could not assist me. I explained that he had just left the hospital merely to get ship personnel’s help in making arrangements (which involved 3 airports, 3 flights, one hotel, 4 car-and-drivers) and getting our belongings off the ship before it left. The rep insisted that unless my husband was currently in the hospital he could do nothing to help me. I then had 2 hours to make our own commercial arrangements, but when we got home, I read MedJet Assist materials. Massive bleeding may be considered a major medical event, but even if it were considered merely a minor medical emergency, MedJet was supposed to “determine the appropriate means of transport.” I made the rep repeat several times that if my husband was not currently in the hospital, MedJet would not assist me--no other choices even though he had just come from the hospital.

I think if MedJet is successful it’s because almost everyone who pays never attempts to use its services!

We are very sorry to hear about your husband's medical emergency, and hope he recovers well.

However, as with all insurance policies (and all contracts), it is important to know precisely what is/is not covered.

The MedJetAssist website for the regular annual policies clearly states:

"MedjetAssist medical transport services are available to any Member who qualifies for medical transport services in accordance with these Rules and Regulations, is hospitalized as an inpatient 150 or more miles from his or her Residence Address, and is accepted as a patient into an available inpatient bed by an admitting physician at the hospital of the Member’s choice in the Member’s Home Country."

[emphasis added]

This requirement is made very clear and specific.

There are, of course, other details.

Had your husband first been admitted as an INPATIENT (not "ER" or "observation bed"), then MedJetAssist services would have been available.

GeezerCouple