Britannia Cookery Club prices - what do you think?

kikki21

Do not sense any enthusiasm here. Methinks P&O have cooked up a turkey here, no pun intended. :)

I think that the enthusiasm will vary depending on who the celebrity chef is. I would go for certain chefs but most of them I would just not be interested. I was hoping to book the James Martin masterclass on the maiden voyage but as I was on Adonia when it went on sale and it sold out very quickly I was too late. However there is still availability for Eric Lanlard's masterclass on the maiden voyage.

I think it will be one of those things that don't seem appealing until you get on the boat, and get drawn into the buzz around him being on the ship

We were on QM2 with James Taylor last year, and you couldn't speak to anyone without his name coming up - staff included

It's pretty intoxicating, even if you weren't particularly excited before the trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddly, the actual cost of a James Martin class is £150 even though advertised at £100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where did you see that ? When I knew that I would be away when the classes went on sale I spoke to P&O was told that it was £100 for the masterclass and £150 to have dinner with the celebrity chefs regardless of who they were. I wanted to pre-book but they were expecting such a clamour for the classes that they would not pre-book and the Adonia wi-fi was so poor that I gave up trying and waited until I got home which turned out to be too late.

I simply cannot believe those prices? there can't be many people who would pay that?

Bet it will be sold out - we are always amazed at the extra money people will pay on a cruise, not just for speciality restaurants but for chef's dinners, ship tours etc. Thankfully DH and I are not that way inclined - might fork out for one or two speciality restaurants on a long cruise (over two weeks) as MDR gets a bit repetitive after 10 to 14 days, but thats all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bet it will be sold out - we are always amazed at the extra money people will pay on a cruise, not just for speciality restaurants but for chef's dinners, ship tours etc. Thankfully DH and I are not that way inclined - might fork out for one or two speciality restaurants on a long cruise (over two weeks) as MDR gets a bit repetitive after 10 to 14 days, but thats all.

Yes I suspect they will get 20 people or however many it is, out of 3500 on board. I suspect there may be a waiting list. So we will miss out again. Damm.

Why are they 'mugs'? I wouldn't bother but obviously a lot of passengers want to spend their money on this kind of thing. No need to call them mugs.

Not only are they mugs but by paying for such things they encourage lines to develop more and more pay on board features which takes away valuable free services and space and restaurants and makes cruising worse for everyone.

I personally wouldn't stump up for this either. I suspect maybe the big names will sell okay but the 'lesser' chefs and the side-kicks that no-one has heard of probably will not. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Not only are they mugs but by paying for such things they encourage lines to develop more and more pay on board features which takes away valuable free services and space and restaurants and makes cruising worse for everyone.

They are not 'mugs' - they are choosing to spend THEIR money how THEY like.

Found this link to who will be on what cruise.

https://loveitbookit.wordpress.com/2015/02/11/celebrity-chefs-revealed-for-po-cookery-school/

With the success of master chef and bake off I think that some of you are underestimating the appeal of this facility, particularly on sea days. It would appear to be quite expensive on the face of it and I would like to know how long a session will be to get some idea as to what might be achieved in the lesson but if you compare it to some of the longer excursion costs which consist of sitting on a large bus and being talked at all day by someone you definitely will not have heard of and who will definately not have world class credentials it begins to look more reasonable. You need to put it in the context that someone will also shell out £125 for aroma stone therapy on the cruise!! Everyone puts their own value on things and there will enough people on Brittannia to cover every possible preference!

As for the comments about it only encouraging more paid services, what on earth do you think would have been put in its place. It would at the very least have been another speciality restaurant. Not only that but the more money they raise from these paid facilities the slower the cost of a basic inside cabin is to rise for those who want to cruise on the cheap.

I think we should all wait until we get the first reports back from those who have done it before we write it off or say it's not worth it.

Edited by scifimonkey

Could someone post the full range of prices as I cannot seem to access the bookings yet as my cruise is not till the end of August.

For the maiden cruise :

A masterclass with James Martin

A hands-on cookery lesson with James Martin £100.00 pp

Dinner with James Martin

An evening cookery demonstration and dinner with James Martin £150.00 pp

The same prices apply for Eric Lanlard

All the non-celebrity classes are £45 pp

For the maiden cruise :

A masterclass with James Martin

A hands-on cookery lesson with James Martin £100.00 pp

Dinner with James Martin

An evening cookery demonstration and dinner with James Martin £150.00 pp

The same prices apply for Eric Lanlard

All the non-celebrity classes are £45 pp

On the June cruise with James Martin, his cookery class is £150.00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk