More Gem pix, random

Carnac767

Lady Liberty at Night. We got underway about an hour-late

IMG_3919.jpg

The pool in the Haven. We were invited to a cocktail party here.

IMG_0436.jpg

Deck Seven, Promenade

IMG_0439.jpg

Good, we're on the right ship

IMG_0443.jpg

Daily cookout poolside, deck 12

IMG_0458.jpg

Woo hoo! Free booze. Latitudes Cocktail Party in Spinnaker Lounge, Deck 13 Forward

IMG_0460.jpg

No. We were in 25-foot seas with 55 knot winds. We were taking spray over our balcony on Deck 11. I thought it was fun. DW, not so much.

Haha, we were on the same cruise as you. The first day out was pretty rough too! Did you ever get the information on the wave height that day? How about that "Sea Smoke" Amazing, huh?

Thanks for your lovely photos. I sailed on the Gem back in January of 2014. She is a pretty ship. I've always been very fond of the Jewel class ships. They are very warm and welcoming vessels. Just big enough, yet not so big that you don't feel a part of the sea. Your pictures make me feel quite wistful for some reason. That was a very nice 9 days...:)

We still had a bottle of champagne left in the bucket in the sitting room. When the ship took that big roll about 7 am we heard a big crash. The champagne had been thrown across the room, up the hall and against the front door. The ice bucket was on the deck. The bottle didn't break, though. Thomas, one of the waiters in Cagney's, told us that all the place settings in the restaurant--plates, glasses, and silverware went flying off the tables. They had to close Cagney's for an hour to clean up.

The sea smoke was eerie. It's something normally only seen in the Arctic or Antarctic. I'n not sure what the peak wave height or wind speed were that first sea day, but that wave we took had to be substantial. Later that day on the nav channel I saw wave heights of 22 feet and wind speeds around 30 knots.

We went down early the first morning to get coffee and the whole Java cafe was full of broken glass. There was also perfume and makeup all over the floor in the atrium shop.

My aunt and uncle where in an ocean view on deck 4, hopefully they got some picks of the waves against the window.

Everyone I spoke to in the crew said it was worse the first day then the last. I'm not so sure!

No. We were in 25-foot seas with 55 knot winds. We were taking spray over our balcony on Deck 11. I thought it was fun. DW, not so much.

I'm with you, but I recognize we are in the minority on this. :)

We haven't been on the Gem in several years, but will be sailing on her again in May. Thanks for the photos!

Thanks for your lovely photos. I sailed on the Gem back in January of 2014. She is a pretty ship. I've always been very fond of the Jewel class ships. They are very warm and welcoming vessels. Just big enough, yet not so big that you don't feel a part of the sea.

We like the Jewel class ships as well. The newer mega-builds seem to do their best to separate guests from the sea.

Thank you for all the wonderful photos, Carnac. We were on the sailing before yours and it was great to relive our cruise through many of your pictures :)

Your sailaway from NY was late because we arrived late back in New York.....there was a medical emergency on the afternoon of our last sea day which required an evacuation by helicopter.

We had some rough seas too on our last sea day but your experience sounds way worse...wow!

Thank you for all the wonderful photos, Carnac. We were on the sailing before yours and it was great to relive our cruise through many of your pictures :)

Your sailaway from NY was late because we arrived late back in New York.....there was a medical emergency on the afternoon of our last sea day which required an evacuation by helicopter.

We had some rough seas too on our last sea day but your experience sounds way worse...wow!

Or way more fun. I haven't had that much fun bouncing around since I was standing on the flight deck of George Washington with the ship heaving up and down over 40 feet. Of course, I can say it was fun because I didn't have to fly that day. Thanks for the kind compliments.

We still had a bottle of champagne left in the bucket in the sitting room. When the ship took that big roll about 7 am we heard a big crash. The champagne had been thrown across the room, up the hall and against the front door. The ice bucket was on the deck. The bottle didn't break, though. Thomas, one of the waiters in Cagney's, told us that all the place settings in the restaurant--plates, glasses, and silverware went flying off the tables. They had to close Cagney's for an hour to clean up.

The sea smoke was eerie. It's something normally only seen in the Arctic or Antarctic. I'n not sure what the peak wave height or wind speed were that first sea day, but that wave we took had to be substantial. Later that day on the nav channel I saw wave heights of 22 feet and wind speeds around 30 knots.

We were in a mini suite on 11 about 10 cabins from the aft elevator and the same thing happened to us. We were woken up by things flying off the table, our champagne also took a tumble a few times. We had to check under our bed with a flashlight to find missing items! I was intrigued by the sea smoke and the fact that the captain said it was the most spectacular sea smoke he has seen in 41 years at sea made it pretty darn special. I would also call it a bit eerie. We sailed on the Dawn in 2005 we were behind Hurricane Ivan who had already reached land so it was a bit rocky but Ivan decided to loop back out to sea, it got us with 40 foot waves with gale force winds. I figured if I didn't get sick or scared then, I never would.

We went down early the first morning to get coffee and the whole Java cafe was full of broken glass. There was also perfume and makeup all over the floor in the atrium shop.

My aunt and uncle where in an ocean view on deck 4, hopefully they got some picks of the waves against the window.

Everyone I spoke to in the crew said it was worse the first day then the last. I'm not so sure!

I thought the wave height was higher the first day but the motion of the ship seemed worse the last day. On the last day we went on the behind the scenes ship tour and we were behind the stage in the theater when a big wave hit the side of the ship. OMG, it was so loud. The lady giving the tour said "Don't worry its just the waves crashing against the ship, it sounds loud here all the time" I began to admire the entertainment staff a bit more as they don't even reach to those large bangs, I have no idea how they do it.

Oh yeah, we heard them. But we were in an unusually high sea state, coupled with gale force winds. Some of the wind gusts neared hurricane force. I doubt they hear noise like that very often. How about those girls trying to rehearse their dancing while the stage is bouncing all over the place?