Enchantment - To drink package, or not to drink package...

My gosh, really. 15 drinks to get even. who is making this stuff up. Read the packages and make a decision. This is not brain surgery. If you have a mimosa or bloody mary with breakfast, get a couple of bottles of water a day. A beer or a cocktail at the pool and a wine with dinner. Bam, you are there. I don't drink to get " even " . If that is what you are thinking don't buy the packages and just pay as you go. Move on and have some fun on the cruise

Well it's not brain surgery, but to people who've never cruised before, it is something to be considered if money is a factor. Even it if isn't a factor, I don't want to spend $500 on a package only to use $200 of it. I'm not rockerfeller. But if you are then go for it. Also, there's no need to be rude. If you don't care for this thread, then why stop here. YOU move on.

I have read here somewhere, where the wait staff wont bring you another drink until you drain the first glass! I thought that was ludicrous. I mean I understand the "no sharing" rule and them trying to police it. But if I paid my money for unlimited drinks, if I want to sit and stare at 10 drinks, that should be my choice. Oh well...

It's true, they won't give you more than one drink at a time. However, you generally have the same bar server at dinner every night, and from what I've seen, they will get to know your routine.

Wife and I debated for a long time and decided to purchase it. I was a big fan of the patron margaritas ($10/each) so you can quickly hit the break even. In addition, we got a bottle of water with every drink and utilized the freestyle machines. More than anything, we enjoyed not thinking about our bar tab because we knew exactly what it was going to be the minute we stepped onboard.

Exactly. It's a vacation, no one wants to be sitting in their stateroom watching their tab. I think this whole concept of drink packages is ridiculous period. It stands to reason that people will want/need to drink (alcohol or not). Water, juice, ice tea, lemon-aid and soda should be INCLUDED. The only package they should be pushing is alcohol. It's crazy that a couple with 2 or 3 kids needs to worry about buying THREE soda packages for their kids. They're kids, they're going to drink, drink, drink and waste it because, well, they're kid. Shameful the way the cruise companies nickle and dime. Ok, rant over! LOL

It's true, they won't give you more than one drink at a time. However, you generally have the same bar server at dinner every night, and from what I've seen, they will get to know your routine.

Oh, that make sense. I thought you only got the same bar tender if you used the MDR. Not if you use MTD. (I'm getting good with the lingo already, huh? I'll be a pro in no time!, lol).

Just a tip for those considering the drink packages. We are on the Grandeur and apparently they offered a "buy one get one half off" on the drink packages the day we boarded the ship. My brothers both planned to buy the premium packages for them & spouses, but hadn't pre-ordered. They were very glad they waited.

There were tables setup in the Centrum with the details. They were able to purchase them immediately upon boarding.

I don't know if this deal was a rare offering. But it might save someone a few bucks if they hold off on buying the package and get the same offer on embarkation.

Just a tip for those considering the drink packages. We are on the Grandeur and apparently they offered a "buy one get one half off" on the drink packages the day we boarded the ship. My brothers both planned to buy the premium packages for them & spouses, but hadn't pre-ordered. They were very glad they waited.

There were tables setup in the Centrum with the details. They were able to purchase them immediately upon boarding.

I don't know if this deal was a rare offering. But it might save someone a few bucks if they hold off on buying the package and get the same offer on embarkation.

I've seen those deals before. I think it's a good idea to wait to purchase until you're onboard the ship. It's not like they will run out of packages.

. Water, juice, ice tea, lemon-aid and soda should be INCLUDED.

All of these except soda ARE included. If you also want included soda Disney offers this, but the cruise price is typically a fair bit higher than RCI. Personally I'd rather pay for a soda package.

All of these except soda ARE included. If you also want included soda Disney offers this, but the cruise price is typically a fair bit higher than RCI. Personally I'd rather pay for a soda package.

Hmm. So it's soda and specialty drinks you're getting when you purchase a package then. But I thought out of all those free items you mentioned, you could only get them at meal time. Say it's 2 pm and I want a lemon-aid, can I just go to a bar or the dinning room and get it? Just curious.

I've seen those deals before. I think it's a good idea to wait to purchase until you're onboard the ship. It's not like they will run out of packages.

This is lovely news as I just went (yesterday) to pay for my packages and I couldn't because it's too close to our sailing. I had them in my "cart" but they disappeared. Maybe I'll luck up on a BOGO aboard ship.

Hmm. So it's soda and specialty drinks you're getting when you purchase a package then. But I thought out of all those free items you mentioned, you could only get them at meal time. Say it's 2 pm and I want a lemon-aid, can I just go to a bar or the dinning room and get it? Just curious.

You can go to the windjammer to get ice tea or lemonade for free

This is lovely news as I just went (yesterday) to pay for my packages and I couldn't because it's too close to our sailing. I had them in my "cart" but they disappeared. Maybe I'll luck up on a BOGO aboard ship.

Good luck on a BOGO, but I doubt you will see that on an enchantment sailing unless it was a 4 day

Cruised on the Enchantment Feb 9-13. I rarely drink at home but have to say I'm very glad I invested in the Ultimate drink package as both my husband and I really enjoyed the wide variety of drinks. It was well worth the cost and we definitely got our money's worth.

Do you know how close they monitor sharing of drinks? Could I get the package and give a few per day to my wife?

Yes, the bartenders are trained to watch for this. If you are caught your package will be revoked with no refund. Then you get to pay for ALL of your drinks! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I read elsewhere the package was good on Cococay. Is that true, and if so is it also good any other ports? AKA Nassau? Lol it didn't look like it from all the complaints I read about drink prices in Nassau.

Drink package seems worth it because then you don't have to keep track of drinks and can send things back. Not worth it if you don't start drinking until 8pm but otherwise... I could see 2-3 drinks during the day at the pool, 2 drinks at dinner, a drink or 2 at the blackjack table easy, especially koolaid martinis lol that go down in a sip.

My husband and I are both getting the drink package because doesn't seem worth the hassle to sneak, but reading these posts, if one took a drink to the other in the room how would they catch you?

Edited by jozzmenia

I read elsewhere the package was good on Cococay. Is that true, and if so is it also good any other ports? AKA Nassau? Lol it didn't look like it from all the complaints I read about drink prices in Nassau.

Drink package seems worth it because then you don't have to keep track of drinks and can send things back. Not worth it if you don't start drinking until 8pm but otherwise... I could see 2-3 drinks during the day at the pool, 2 drinks at dinner, a drink or 2 at the blackjack table easy, especially koolaid martinis lol that go down in a sip.

My husband and I are both getting the drink package because doesn't seem worth the hassle to sneak, but reading these posts, if one took a drink to the other in the room how would they catch you?

CocoCay is not a port, it is RCI's private island facility. The packages are good there and at Labadee, the other private facility.

I have a question I haven't seen answered anywhere...we're getting ready to book the Grandeur from Baltimore for my birthday in July. If we do the $55 day Premium package haw many days are you charged? The ship leaves on a Friday at 4PM so basically that's only 6 days. But, I guess you're charged for 7?? If so it may be better to do it on the ship Saturday morning so it's definitely only a six day charge?? I know...picky, picky picky!

Another question....the Premium package does NOT include coffees??? You have to add on the Replenish deal???

How's the iced tea on the Grandeur?? That's my drink of addiction!

Edited by fhmoore

yes, it's for sure a combination of breaking even and "not stressing". Unless you're really on the low end of the "is it worth it scale" you'd probably be glad you got the appropriate drink package.

I've been there. It's too easy to hand over our card for whenever you want a drink. Sucks when you get the bill and realize you've racked up 5 or 600 hundred in drink bills. or even 2-300.

It's almost just an insurance package....as long you break even anyway

I have trouble understanding this line of thinking.

On a ten-day cruise, the two top beverage packages for two people would be $1156 or $1298. It's better to pay that than to be run up a $200, $300, $500, or $600 bar bill? Wouldn't you be better off just putting $1,000 on your sea pass account and being refunded the difference?

(And I've spent significantly less than $300 in liquor, cappuccino, etc., had had about as much fun as I can handle.)

I have a question I haven't seen answered anywhere...we're getting ready to book the Grandeur from Baltimore for my birthday in July. If we do the $55 day Premium package haw many days are you charged? The ship leaves on a Friday at 4PM so basically that's only 6 days. But, I guess you're charged for 7?? ...

Another question....the Premium package does NOT include coffees??? You have to add on the Replenish deal???

How's the iced tea on the Grandeur?? That's my drink of addiction!

You're charged by the number of nights, not days. The time you leave port is pretty irrelevant - you can start using your package as soon as you board not when you leave port.

Regular coffee is included for everyone but if you want specialty coffee buy the ultimate package. It's $10 more (not the $20 more that it would be to add the replenish package).

Is this drink list currently up to date? Or have they increased?

Actually, there's nothing on that post at Gambee's that's current or accurate. They're not using the menus anymore, the prices are too low and I don't think his calculations in his chart were correct anyway because the $55.00 includes the tip, but the drink price he lists does not. If it were to be accurate, both columns need to include tip or not include tip. The last point I could be wrong about though, as I'm going from memory on the old drink prices.