Whats the nicest thing that ever happened

kakalina

I was on my first Alaska cruise with my sister on Carnival. We had separate cabins that were located on the bow but were separated by a long hallway. When we happened to mention this to her room steward he told us about a shortcut that was for crew only. He gave us permission to use it for the duration of the cruise. I know this doesn’t seem like a big deal but it saved us walking about 150’ each time. We though it was really special to be able to use the crew hallways and really appreciated allowing us to use it.

I guess it just shows how the crew will go out of their way to make our vacations a priority.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the most uplifting thread!!!

On our first cruise in July 2007 (aboard the Caribbean Princess) we flew into Ft. Lauderdale to stay at the Embassy Suites. We were a little nervous and we tried to strike up conversations with several folks who were also going on the cruise. Most were not very friendly. While waiting for our transport to the ship, I smiled at a nice man and his partner. They came over and introduced themselves. They were experienced cruisers and gave us some tips. We saw them throughout the cruise and they always had a kind word for us. If you guys read this, thank you so much for reaching out to us. You were wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...

On our first cruise (only one so far, but first since we do plan to cruise again) aboard the Radiance Nov '04, my DW and I met a couple from Michigan who winter in Florida named Larry and Sue. They had cruised many times were very friendly and shared many tips and ideas with us fellow mid-westerners. We seemed to run into them every day and they always had smiles and well wishes and asked about what we had done and remembered what we mentioned the day before we were going to do. Nothing special so far.

The special part in the saddest part. This was the third cruise for Larry and Sue that calender year. Sadly Larry was killed in an auto accident four weeks to the day after disembarking. The feelings we have for the two of them can't be expressed in words. My DW is much much quieter than I and she is actually the one that started the conversations with Larry.

The point of this story is the nicest part of our meeting them was . . . meeting them they were awesome.

I was on an Alaskan cruisetour in 2006. I was in the Disco one night, and this young 20 something blonde approched me and said 'I want to dance with you.'

Now I was 58 years old at the time, and I thought she might have had one too many, so I did not think about it again.

When the ship got to Skagway, I was walking down the street, She tapped on my shoulder from behind and said ' I still want to dance with you'.

We did dance the night away. Made an old man feel good.

By the way I am single.

My husband and I took our first cruise to Alaska - just two years ago right now. We were so excited - and we booked the cruise 15 months before we even went on it (we went with a large group).

Anyway a week or so before we went a lady at work (just a casual friend) asked where we were going - and said that sounded wonderful. She asked for the name of the TA that we were using (saying that they were considering a cruise). Well - when we walked into our room there was a huge plate of hor dourves (sp?) and one of the fancy bottles of wine with the ship logo on it.

We were stunned to find this - and when I asked the lady when we got back home - she said that this had been done to her husband by a co-worker on their first cruise - so she passed it on.

Later my honey and I did the same thing for some friends of ours who were on their honeymoon. I love this pass it on thing - it sure does make for nice smiles. :D:)

• 2 weeks later...
WHAT'S THE NICEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO YOU ON A CRUISE?

I'd love to hear your stories.

Our first cruise was last year. We left on our 30th anniversary. We got to our cabin to find it had been decorated and that several gifts were waiting for us.

From our 20 something children.

It made me cry. Not the gifts, per se, but that they thought of it and did it.

I told DH we must have done something right with them. :)

The second nicest is the friends we made on that cruise. The 3 couples we dined with have become our friends forever. We are cruising with one couple in January, another couple in December 2009, they all came to see us for the 4th of July weekend and we will all be vacationing together in Yellowstone next summer.

• 4 weeks later...

I've really enjoyed reading all of your stories, here's mine:

After unpacking on the NCL Jewel in Feb. 2008, I realized that I had forgotten my dress pants. All I had were jeans and shorts, so much for dining at Cagney's or even the dining room.

I mentioned the lack of appropriate pants to my new friends at our Cruise Critic meet & mingle. Two lovely ladies, sisters named Donna and Sandy took pity on me and actually loaned me a pair of nice pants!

I didn't end up wearing the pants as I was able to purchase a new pair in St. Lucia. As token for their thoughtfulness, I purchased each a cute bracelet.

I can't thank these ladies enough for their generosity and caring :D.

Donna & Sandy, if you're reading this...

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Diane

On our first cruise our son Nicolas was 7 years old and really enjoyed the Adventure Ocean staff on Enchantment of the seas. The next year we where on Voyager of the seas sitting in the Ice Skating rink on deck 3 for the Adventure Ocean orientation Nicolas saw Denise a Adventure Ocean staff member that was on Enchantment the prior year and he said out loud hey thats Denise!!!.. Right after that we heard Denise say Is that Nicolas???

We where amazed that after a year and after many cruises she had been on that she remembered our son... Pretty cool

• 4 weeks later...

This is not so much as on the cruise but on the way to it. My husband, daughter and I were on our way to Charleston, SC by way of Amtrak. We ended up having a very long delay in Washington. At the station there was a polish lady who was very distraught and who happened to be stuck there as well. She told us that the people at the station were quite rude to her. (She had very broken english).

Anyway we felt very bad for her and so tried to comfort her and make her feel a little better and spent quite a long time chatting with her. (It's not like there was anything else to do). Finally our train arrived, 12 hours later. The lady had pulled out a beautiful pen and ink drawing that she had done and gave it to us. It turned out she is a well known artist in Poland. She said it was for being so kind.

I don't feel we did anything special other than show a little compassion to a fellow human being. I have had the drawing framed and have it on my living room wall. Whenever I look at it I am reminded of our first cruise.

On my second cruise, I went with a friend of mine. We had called a TA in NY to book our cruise. Both of us were on the phone with the TA. The TA was very helpful and answered all of our questions. After we booked with the TA, he asks...ok, so who's birthday is it going to be on Tuesday during your cruise? So i said...oh it's my friend Allison's birthday! He said, ok, Allison your birthday will be on Tuesday, and Kaye your birthday will be on Thursday.

We had no idea what he was doing, but went along with it.

By the time the cruise came around, we forgot all about it. So Tuesday night on our cruise, after dinner we see a birthday cake with 5 staff members singing happy birthday. They stop at your table and ask...who's Allison? my friend raises her hand and I'm laughing my head off. After the staff had left, we explained to our other table mates what our TA had done. So I said, Thursday will be 'my birthday' ;) Sure enough, on Thursday my table mates were signing happy birthday as soon as they saw the birthday cake heading to our table! I said, oh how did they know it was my birthday?!?! :o

It was really funny and great cake too! We didn't see a bill or extra charges for the cake or anything! :)

While we were in Belize a year or so on an NCL cruise, me and the wife went "outside" the gated area at the port to look at the stuff being sold in the flea market area. We stopped at a booth that was selling hand turn wooded bowls.

After looking at the works of art, I decided to but a small bowl. I asked "how much", the guy said "The artist that made this is right here, so do you want it autographed/"

Sure why not!!!. They spoke to each other in the local dialect, then said "$10.00 Us dollars."

I said NO!!!. It was worth alot more than $10.00 USD.

I gave them $20.00 USD. These two guys were surprised that I would want to give them more $$$ than they asked.

I explained to them that I did a little woodworking myself and knew this was a quality piece of work.

They said that this had NEVER happen to them. Someone would pay more than they asked.

I guess they had an image of the ugly American cheapskate.

So, the nicest thing that happen to me on a cruise ,that I made their day and they made my day.!!!!

JimmyJames

• 1 year later...

I have learnt so much from this post. I thank you all so much for sharing your stories. It's amazing that kindness costs nothing and yet it can pay so richly.

In most cases the most that was spent was $25 or so, and in many cases it was just kind words or showing people that they were really significant and yet look how special trips ended up to be...with memories that have lasted for years.

This really motivates me to not only think about how to have the trip of a lifetime but how to make other people's day's better also. If we all did this...what a movement it would be!?!

Archived