Dress on the Viking Star

Charoforland

There is another thread further down the page called "Dressing for Dinner" that has some responses on as well. If I was clever enough to provide the link automatically I would do but it should be easier enough to find.

It seems that there is going to be a mixture of informal, casual and more formal, all determined by the passengers rather than the cruise line. I think everybody is relaxed about it and will match what happens in most restaurants we go to at home.

Neil

We'll be on the first Christmas cruise on the Viking Star. From what our travel agent has learned, the dining rooms on board will be much like the dress expectations on their river cruises. There, I usually packed a few tops that were a bit dressy and combined them with colorful scarves or jewelry. For Christmas dinner, I might pack something special.

We found a real mixture of dress - but a step up at night for sure. I would think the specialty restaurants are that way on the Star. Wondering if most men will have a jacket or nice shirt and call that good.....

Not this man. Beyond my bathrobe and flip-flops will be dressy enough.

We'll be on the first Christmas cruise on the Viking Star. From what our travel agent has learned, the dining rooms on board will be much like the dress expectations on their river cruises. There, I usually packed a few tops that were a bit dressy and combined them with colorful scarves or jewelry. For Christmas dinner, I might pack something special

I doubt my DH will pack a jacket. Nice collared polo shirts, slacks/khakis and shoes not sneakers or heaven forbid in a restaurant at dinner..... flip flops!

I would feel comfortable wearing "smart casual" clothes to dinner.

Maybe on the Christmas cruise you will want to dress up a little more as the ship will be decorated and it will be very festive!

I am so excited for you firsties cruising the Star to see how it goes! Please give us your thoughts, suggestions and general impression! Even the stupid stuff like how large the laundrette is!

My main concern is that it does not disappoint! Being a Crystal cruiser and more than just impressed with their product......I hope Viking is comparable.

You guys will be the experimental cruisin' babies :p

I am sure that there will be a number of us letting everyone know how our trip is! I think it will be incredible! I am not going to be surprised if there aren't some hiccups, but they have a lot at stake (3 more ships after Star = have to succeed). They have a great product with their Rivers, so we took the leap of faith and are looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...

Planning on a black suit that doubles as blazer with one or two ties & black loafers. A couple white shirts with a couple pattern collared shirts. A couple sporty casual pants. Guess I am old fashioned, but since we are on the whole fifty day cruise will want to have a little mix of "dress" at the specialty restaurants. Wife has a couple reversible dress combos for variety. Thank goodness no formal tux nites...

• 5 weeks later...

Very encouraging to see that the standards for dress at dinner are trending towards more casual. I recall some early HAL experiences in which men felt almost uncomfortable at dinner if they did not have a tux or dinner jacket.

Spoke with customer service yesterday about another matter, then brought up question of dress in dining venues. I told them my DH is not bringing a sport coat for our Ist/Bar segments. They said it was fine, even for Captain's Farewell Dinner.

Also Viking is providing L'Occitane toiletries in staterooms.

I wonder if I will be able to smuggle a neck tie on board. I would hate to be 'outed' by the style police if I chose to wear both a tie and jacket for dinner.

I find the FAQ's on the Viking website somewhat confusing (amongst many other things). It says:

For evenings, while there are no “formal nights,” the recommended dress is elegant casual for most restaurants, performances or other special events. Suggested attire for ladies includes a dress, or a sweater or blouse worn with a skirt or slacks; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional, but not required. Dinner in The Restaurant remains casual, with daytime dress deemed appropriate.

Whilst "daytime dress"is not clearly defined the FAQ's does state the following:

During the day on board and ashore, dress is casual including shorts, jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours.

I find this answer very confusing but I am sure we will all have a great time and I am relaxed about what my fellow passengers are wearing to dinner as long as we are all elegant as requested.

Neil (an Englishman abroad)

Also Viking is providing L'Occitane toiletries in staterooms.

I *love* that brand. Never had them before our Viking river cruise last year and the "free" L'Occitane there was my gateway drug to the brand. Now all I need to do is pop the lid on the shower gel and I happily relive that great trip. After this cruise on the Viking Star, it's sure to trigger even more happy memories.

As far as attire, it sounds very, very similar to the river cruise on Viking. Some folks dressed up at the Captain's Dinner (flow-y dresses for ladies, sport coats for men--but not a gown in sight). I'm bringing the same type/level of clothing as I did for the river cruise--but my daytime outfits will feature *warmer* clothing and the ability to wear my merino "woolies" underneath tops and pants (I froze last year in August!).