"Dancing of the Ships" Speculation

cruisexlife

Carnival's website shows sailings for Paradise through April 29th of 2017. So we have her for at least another 2 years, according to current plans.

I love Paradise too. Great ship for 4 and 5 nighters. I would even take her or another Fantasy class ship on a 7 nighter if the itinerary was great, allowing me to go to some different ports.

Paradise was great. Got an unbelievable rate early in Dec of 2014. I liked the nautical theme of the ship. Very nice cruise.

Actually, the fantasy class are my favorites, love the layout and the fact that they fit under the bridge! PS - Glad we will have her for a while, I feel very at home while on that ship - sometimes rested when we get back on land again. (I hope I'm posting this right)!

:o

The Sunshine will be taking over for Splendor seasonally out of NYC

From some of the comments on the Sunshine, this ship does not seem to be on the same level as the Splendor, Miracle, Triumph or the Legend who all sailed out of NY.

I wonder why Carnival would based an older ship (all be it updated) in NY even seasonal to compete with new NCL and RCCL ships?

MARAPRINCE

From some of the comments on the Sunshine, this ship does not seem to be on the same level as the Splendor, Miracle, Triumph or the Legend who all sailed out of NY.

I wonder why Carnival would based an older ship (all be it updated) in NY even seasonal to compete with new NCL and RCCL ships?

MARAPRINCE

While it is an older ship, after the refurbishment, on the surface, it looks new and has all the new amenities. Even more than the Breeze. The issue with the Sunshine from the beginning has been its plumbing. We were on in Nov 2013 so not sure if it all has been resolved. From reports, it sounds like it is still hit and miss.

I for one would not hesitate to book the Sunshine again. If Jaime Dee stays as the CD, you would have one of Carnival's best.

Edited by mississauga

John has posted lots of photos of the Fantasy today on his Facebook page...I am thinking there will be sad news regarding this ship during the next Dancing announcement. If Carnival does as I expect and they remove the Fantasy from their US fleet, I hope they bring a worthwhile successor to Charleston. Another Fantasy class vessel isn't really worth the retirement of the Fantasy in my mind even with extra balconies welded on the side.

MARAPRINCE

Not sure why you would say that or what the reference point is. While the Sunshine is a complete redo of the Destiny, hull in (common space wise) it is pretty much a new ship, all of the 2.0 features and more. From my perspective, short of the Dream class, it the best alternative for New York.

John has posted lots of photos of the Fantasy today on his Facebook page...I am thinking there will be sad news regarding this ship during the next Dancing announcement. If Carnival does as I expect and they remove the Fantasy from their US fleet, I hope they bring a worthwhile successor to Charleston. Another Fantasy class vessel isn't really worth the retirement of the Fantasy in my mind even with extra balconies welded on the side.

While I can understand you wanting more, Charleston is a seasonal port with how many sailings a year? If as you say they retire Fantasy, the decision would be (IMHO) to reduce the glut of ships they have sailing shorter cruises (specifically from Florida), but we will see. They now have Conquest class ships sailing these routes. To put Fantasy class ships doing the same makes them end up discount pricing against themselves (not an enviable position).

While I can understand you wanting more, Charleston is a seasonal port with how many sailings a year? If as you say they retire Fantasy, the decision would be (IMHO) to reduce the glut of ships they have sailing shorter cruises (specifically from Florida), but we will see. They now have Conquest class ships sailing these routes. To put Fantasy class ships doing the same makes them end up discount pricing against themselves (not an enviable position).

Charleston is a year-round port. The Fantasy sails 4, 5, and 7 day cruises from the port every week of the year. Next year the Sunshine will have a few sailings out of the port as well. We will see how it shakes out. I just hate to see them can the Fantasy only to replace it with essentially the same vessel.

I finally disagree with jimbo lol..,, seasonal port?

I wondered about his post too. "She has an exciting future with Carnival Cruise Line" and "I hope you get to sail on her". I think those that predicted a Costa Fantasy were right...

It will be a shame if Charleston get left out in the cold. Fantasy has sold really well and often commands higher fares than Fascination. The 10 night Carnival Journey cruise out of Charleston on Sunshine is selling well too (we just booked it yesterday).

Charleston is a year-round port. The Fantasy sails 4, 5, and 7 day cruises from the port every week of the year. Next year the Sunshine will have a few sailings out of the port as well. We will see how it shakes out. I just hate to see them can the Fantasy only to replace it with essentially the same vessel.

Stand corrected (ditto to you kybluecruiser). I was referring to the Sunshine portion of sailing from there, but my hands got away from my braind (that has never happened before:confused:).

I doubt Carnival will walk away from a port that produces, and again, I can understand the want for something more. The certainly have begun to use Conquest class ships on shorter routes, so I guess the question is why not Charleston (you guys still don't hate Yankees....right;)).

I wondered about his post too. "She has an exciting future with Carnival Cruise Line" and "I hope you get to sail on her". I think those that predicted a Costa Fantasy were right...

The key words from John Heald was that he said Carnival Cruise Line and not Carnival Corporation. That implies to me that retirement or transfer of the Fantasy is not as imminent as people think.

The key words from John Heald was that he said Carnival Cruise Line and not Carnival Corporation. That implies to me that retirement or transfer of the Fantasy is not as imminent as people think.

Your reading makes sense to me. The question of course is will she stay in Charleston or be relocated, and if so what will take over in Charleston. Hopefully all will be made clear soon. The speculation is fun, if nothing else.

We shall see, but I just don't see Costa taking an older ship into it's fleet. Hasn't Costa stayed with new builds lately? And Fantasy is quite old and outdated.

Costa was all set to take the former Carnival Celebration to become the Costa Celebration this past year. The Celebration ended up going to the newly reorganized Bahama Paradise Cruise Line (which in my understanding is what replaced the Bahama Celebration Cruise line after their ship ran aground. Someone correct me if I am wrong?) The Grand Celebration, as she is known now, even still has the whale tale - just not in Carnival colors. To me, it doesn't seem a stretch for Fantasy class to go to Costa.

I haven't been following prices in Charleston - so no idea on what they look like or can support. I'd be surprised if something larger than a Fantasy class is placed in Charleston full time. We know where the Elation, Sensation, and Fascination are in the dance....I guess any of the other 5 else are fair game? I'm kind of doubting balconies here, just because of the cooler weather for about half of the year. I would not be surprised with a Fantasy/Paradise swap.

Update on JH's post with the picture of the Lido Deck

"ADD ON: Three people have contacted me about a thread on CC that we are selling Fantasy to Costa..........not true at all. She has a bright future in white, red and blue."

Looks like she's staying around!

Edited by tropicaledrink

Update on JH's post with the picture of the Lido Deck

"ADD ON: Three people have contacted me about a thread on CC that we are selling Fantasy to Costa..........not true at all. She has a bright future in white, red and blue."

Looks like she's staying around!

With all the attention the Fantasy got today, I'm thinking she's getting some upgrades. I doubt all the posts today are just nostalgia from John.

She's older, but still a great ship and has been well maintained by the staff.

With all the attention the Fantasy got today, I'm thinking she's getting some upgrades. I doubt all the posts today are just nostalgia from John.

She's older, but still a great ship and has been well maintained by the staff.

I think you may be right. I would love to see her get some upgrades!

At this point, I'm thinking the first two to leave the fleet may be the Elation and the Paradise. I was amazed at the differences between the Elation and the Fascination when I sailed them. It was very obvious to me that the Elation is a lower priority ship at the moment (please for the love of god replace the beat up pink closets, doors, and get rid of the corner box!)

I am still betting on a Fantasy and Ecstasy swap. Ecstasy received some of the 2.0 upgrades during her last dry dock. I can not imagine they would leave her running cheaper/shorter runs from Miami than the Sensation will be running when she takes over for Victory. And since Charleston runs longer routes than Ecstasy currently runs from Miami, Carnival would make more money off their 2.0 upgrades if they move her there.

Interesting about the fantasy. I would still be surprised if she remains in charleston. She has been there for over 5 years. That is an eternity carnival years. Most likely swapped out for another fantasy class

My main response to that is why bother? There's no gain in capacity with swapping out for another Fantasy class vessel. Maybe it doesn't sail as full as I think, or maybe the port simply can't handle a larger ship year round until the new port is built.

I bet she'll go in dry dock while the Sunshine is in Charleston and get some upgrades, then go back to Charleston. They may reposition another ship there for a few sailings after the Sunshine has moved on, depending on how extensive the upgrades will be.

My main response to that is why bother? There's no gain in capacity with swapping out for another Fantasy class vessel. Maybe it doesn't sail as full as I think, or maybe the port simply can't handle a larger ship year round until the new port is built.

I bet she'll go in dry dock while the Sunshine is in Charleston and get some upgrades, then go back to Charleston. They may reposition another ship there for a few sailings after the Sunshine has moved on, depending on how extensive the upgrades will be.

I think they will switch it out simply because that is what they do every several years. While they may not gain capacity they will allow those who want to cruise from Charleston a different choice than they have had they last 5 years. And as I stated in an earlier post I think they will do it with the Ecstasy so they can make more money off her 2.0 upgrades than they will sailing 3 or 4 days out of Miami.