daily service charge

megann831

If you do not believe me, which you don't, you can call for yourself..

On what basis have you decided whether I believe you or not.

For the record, I have absolutely no reason not to believe what you have said.

From your earlier postings though, I understand that you wouldn't accept your post as proof.

Edited by KeithJenner

Ok...now I understand. You don't agree with NCL using the DSC to assist with the wages of the behind the scenes workers. So you are going to stick it to NCL...by removing some of the pay of the behind the scenes workers.

Got it.

/sarcasm

Yes, that became clear yesterday.

Just to be clear the DSC is not a tip, it is a service charge.

This is an email that was sent to us below. The word gratuity = TIP :D

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2015. The new rates are: $12.95 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom $14.95 per person per day for any suite category You can choose to pre-pay your service charges at the current rate of $12 per person per day. If charged on board, the new rates will apply. Norwegian's daily discretionary service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff. Sincerely,

Only evidence that you do not understand why a tipped staff, and tipping out behind the scenes workers, is a benefit to the owner of the restaurant and not the staff. The owner can have more workers for less money (an overstaff situation) in which not everyone benefits because there are more people to share the money, but the owner doesn't have the higher overhead of paying a higher direct wage they can have more staff at lower wage. So they pay workers the bare minimum and make the share tips. Even the ones that do the behind the scenes work like cook and wash dishes, which ostensibly is what you are paying for in the menu price, and the gratuity should be for services received. The fact that tip out exists and that a server can "lose money" on a table that has tipped (but not tipped well) just goes to show it is the server that loses out here, never the restaurant owner. Makes no difference to them. Read up more on the subject before bashing me. If that's how you "rest your case" you're in for a big loss here.
I get that you don't agree with how NCL does their business with regard to the DSC and who it goes to. Do you realize that there are a number of cruise lines that doesn't have this same system. Crystal's policy, for example, is that the tips/DSC are included in their all inclusive fares. Perhaps, you would be better cruising a line like that, because I'm sure you will have mixed emotions cruising on a line where you are in such disagreement with their policies. Just a thought that might enhance your cruising experience.

This is an email that was sent to us below. The word gratuity = TIP :D

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2015. The new rates are: $12.95 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom $14.95 per person per day for any suite category You can choose to pre-pay your service charges at the current rate of $12 per person per day. If charged on board, the new rates will apply. Norwegian's daily discretionary service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff. Sincerely,

So I'm sure you'll be going and taking care of all of those people in person, right?

Please.

So I'm sure you'll be going and taking care of all of those people in person, right?

Please.

If you don't like NCL policies call NCL to complain.

Tell them to make it mandatory. If it were so important to NCL why do they not make it mandatory? Why do they give guests the option to remove DSC?

Edited by LoveyHowell

If you don't like NCL policies call NCL to complain.

Tell them to make it mandatory. If it were so important to NCL why do they not make it mandatory? Why do they give guests the option to remove DSC?

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CMI_FAQ

What about tipping?

Gratuities

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

NCL Service Charge

On all NCL ships payment of Pre-Paid Service Fee is required. A fixed Service Charge of $12 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. The service charge is only for guests ages 3 years & up.

Our crew is encouraged to work together as a service team and compensated by a combination of salary and incentive program that the Service Charge supports. It is our earnest wish that you enjoy your Freestyle Cruise experience and that our entire crew in all areas of the ship will provide you with the standard of service for which NCL is known. Therefore, if you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise; please bring them to the immediate attention of our reception desk staff on board so that we can address any issues in a timely manner before the cruise is over.

Both NCL and NCL America have a structured guest satisfaction program on board designed to handle any concerns raised by our guests relating to the service or on board product quickly and efficiently. In almost all cases we are able to come up with a satisfactory solution to any issues which are raised and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise holiday. In the unlikely event we cannot satisfactorily resolve the issues through our guest satisfaction program; guests will be able to adjust the Service Charge according to the level of inconvenience they feel they have experienced.

Our clear priority is to have the opportunity of resolving the issue, when it happens, to everyone's complete satisfaction.

Top part is for Ladylonghorn to show that the DSC is not a tip and NCL actually breaks out gratuities separately in its FAQ.

Bolded part for Howell - it states the DSC is required - Guest services "allow" passengers to remove it to avoid confrontations with people like you.

Their policy is to allow you to adjust it commensurate with the level of disservice you received. Meaning if you remove it all then you are basically saying everyone, the waiters, room steward etc. gave you crappy service.

Edited by titangas

Bolded part for Howell -- Guest services "allow" passengers to remove it to avoid confrontations with people like you.

There policy is to allow you to adjust it commensurate with the level of disservice you received. Meaning if you remove it all then you are basically saying everyone, the waiters, room steward etc. gave you crappy service.

But if it is all pooled and you have the world best stateroom attendant and worst food service ever, do you go to guest services and remove "some" of the DSC? Doesn't that impact the worlds greatest stateroom attendant just as it does the worlds worst food server? How is that fair at all in that case?

Furthermore your statements in red contradict each other. Do they allow you to remove it to avoid "confrontation" (which makes ZERO sense) or do they do it to allow you to do it for bad service? The fact is it is discretionary, non-mandatory, it is just an opt out instead of opt in policy. Please, I called the cruise line today and asked. You do the same. Go ahead. Take 10 minutes of your time and call and ask if DSC can be removed. And ask them why they even allow it to be removed. Ask them to make it mandatory or if it is not mandatory ask them why not?

The only problem that I have with what you do is that you say that you remove the service charge because you are afraid that all employees who are entitled to it may not get it all and you know that by tipping in cash all employees who would have been entitled to a share of your service charge will not be receiving it.

In short you are protesting NCL's policies not at your expense, not at NCL's expense, but at the expense of the crew that is working so hard to make your cruise vaction wonderful. Sure, some of the crew make out like bandits (taking you at your word, which I do), but others lose out. I've worked for tips and I know how that feels.

I will only say that just because one has the right to do something that doesn't mean doing it is the right thing to do.

I am not protesting NCL so much as I am exercising an option NCL provides to me.

For everyone here, not you necessarily as your tone is quite civil, that has nasty and negative things to say, I hope you all realize there are REAL cheapskates out there that remove DSC, think nothing of it, and don't give anyone a dime at all. We pay out $45 a day in cash, BEFORE the cash we pay for drinks, and yet I am called cheap, stingy, etc. It's obvious some people have a problem with NCL providing options, thus their problem is with NCL, not with me. I have no problem with NCL policy. It allows me the freedom of choice how to handle business. People should complain to NCL to make it mandatory if they feel strongly about it. Pick up the phone, make a call. People calling ME names isn't going to solve anything.

Mr. Restauranteur, you offend me not in the least. Please explain WHY your servers are forced to split their tips with the kitchen and dishwasher? Instead you brag about paying them the bare legal minimum and forcing the other workers who work for tips to have to share with them. This impacts your pocket not at all. Yet you are fully in control, being the owner, to pay the kitchen and dishwasher a reasonable wage and allow the server to keep more of their own tips. You don't do so because it would impact your own wallet. The next time you want to throw rocks at people you better see what the material of your housing is...

Restaurants are run this way.....even in NY where you live.

Harriet

Calling you cheap and stingy isn't calling you a name. Its describing who you are. You try to justify stiffing the behind the scenes crew by how much cash you are paying your steward and waiters. Let me ask you this...

How much are you paying the dishwashers and cooks?

Answer it honestly. If you remove the DSC...the answer is nothing.

THAT is why you are cheap and stingy. Again, these are descriptions, not names.

I honestly don't care if you are cheap and stingy. The crew can rest assured that there will be enough of us on the ship that aren't cheap and stingy to hopefully make the work they do worthwhile.

She is not paying them anything. Neither am I. I agree the cruise line should be paying them out of the fare paid.

What's next tip the captain?

Part of the dsc apparently goes to fleetwide parties. What happens if you are a room steward and would rather not attend the party and instead send that money home for your kids?

It's believe the only reason they make it discretionary is so no one complains that it is not disclosed at booking as are the taxes or port fees.

I also believe most leave the dsc intact not realizing no reason is needed to remove them.

This is exactly the sort of issue I am worried about. Is it possible to modify the pre-paid amount or adjust where the tips are going to? One aspect I liked about the pre-paid was NOT having to bring as much cash with me. I don't want to spend time at guest service in order to get a full refund only to go have to chase down staff to tip them; do you understand what I mean? If I have an issue with one area of service that doesn't get rectified after bringing attention to it, would you be able to remove a partial tip from pre-paid?

In all fairness, there would have to be really poor service like described here before I would bother with going down that road.

....or you could just remove them entirely, even without receiving "really poor service"

I'm not from New York but I read this the other day and it was interesting and it specifically talked about NEw York.

http://gawker.com/tiptoeing-toward-the-end-of-tipping-1687959146

Interesting....and truthfully, I do agree. Italy have a service charge that is added onto your bill. You pay for bread and if you ask for more....you pay for it. The servers get paid the same rate as anyone else does and does not rely on tips...has medical insurance, etc. Actually, they love when american tourists are around since they do tip so they have extra money. I kinda like the idea of everyone making a decent wage and no tipping. However, with that said....we then can't complain when our meal goes up in cost!

Harriet

Just as I thought, incapable to carry on a conversation. This is a discussion forum. I'm all about discussing my opinions and ideas. If the best you can do is click on smiley faces and be nasty to people I guess, really, I just pity you.

Nope, fully capable of carrying on a conversation. Just not worth the time or effort with you since you only want to discuss YOUR opinions and ideas (which contradict what NCL says). ;)

Edited by Out to sea!

Anyone care to guess -- which extremely generous person posted this as a reply to what to tip the concierge when staying in a suite?

In our experiences the concierge inserts themselves as a middle person; they don't do anything a guest can't do on their own. Often times they just introduce more steps / hurdles to have the appearance of doing work. I can call a restaurant direct, book a time, and confirm in one call. Or I can call the concierge, relay what I want, then wait to have another interaction with the concierge to confirm what we want.

I've had truly gracious and welcoming concierges that provided friendly and prompt service, that was worth a gratuity, but generally I believe they don't do anything a guest can't do on their own.

Just to add some context to the posters mentality.

It is already shown on the website that you can adjust the DSC. You are right, it doesn't specifically say "so that you can tip in cash". Some people remove DSC and give nothing. I am not in that crowd whether you wish to believe that or not. But like I said, I will call later today and post the answers I get from NCL. Whether you want to accept them or not I have no control over other than to suggest for you to call NCL yourself and ask 'Can DSC be removed?'

So, can you prove that? :p

Here's the Guest Ticket Contract you make with NCL:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

Under "Terms of Fare" there is this pertinent section:

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

To repeat: "The charge...is...subject to adjustment at your discretion."

This seems unambiguous.

.....The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion...

I notice the operative term is adjustment. I searched several online dictionaries and saw that none of the definitions include the term eliminate. Actually, most definitions said that an adjustment is a SMALL modification.

For me, it's a question of what are you allowed to do under the contract versus what you should do as a decent human being.

I have a relative who works in a behind the scenes job at a restaurant. She relies on the servers passing on a portion of their tips to her as part of her income. Of course, I would prefer it if she was paid a higher wage and didn't have to rely on tips, but it is what it is. If a server withheld tips from her because they believed that she really should be getting a higher salary so that she wouldn't have to get tips, I would think it highly unfair, no matter that I might agree with the server's point of view.

I would prefer that NCL paid non-wait staff high enough wagers that they wouldn't have to rely on service charges. However, that is not the case. I have to deal with the reality that exists. Having cruised with MCL before, I know that this is the system they have in place. If I were to object to strongly enough, I could try to find another line that does things differently. Since I know this, but chose MCL anyway, I should work within the system that they have in place. If there are people that go above and beyond and I want to tip them more, I can do so. If there are people that are failing to give me a basic level of service, I can go to guest services and let them know.

Edited by Ship2shoreCO

For me, it's a question of what are you allowed to do under the contract versus what you should do as a decent human being.

I have a relative who works in a behind the scenes job at a restaurant. She relies on the servers passing on a portion of their tips to her as part of her income. Of course, I would prefer it if she was paid a higher wage and didn't have to rely on tips, but it is what it is. If a server withheld tips from her because they believed that she really should be getting a higher salary so that she wouldn't have to get tips, I would think it highly unfair, no matter that I might agree with the server's point of view.

I would prefer that NCL paid non-wait staff high enough wagers that they wouldn't have to rely on service charges. However, that is not the case. I have to deal with the reality that exists. Having cruised with MCL before, I know that this is the system they have in place. If I were to object to strongly enough, I could try to find another line that does things differently. Since I know this, but chose MCL anyway, I should work within the system that they have in place. If there are people that go above and beyond and I want to tip them more, I can do so. If there are people that are failing to give me a basic level of service, I can go to guest services and let them know.

Thank you, thank you for making sense!!! Yay. I think that most of the people who are whining and want to remove the DSC are cheap, cheap, and cheap!!!!