Last Minute Dream Pool question???

porthole21

We Sail on the Dream on the 23rd and CANNOT wait but my wife asked if the pools were heated and fresh water? I thought they were but was not 100% sure....we have 7 year old triplets who love the water regardless but still wanted any insight???? Thank you in advance.....:D

The pools are heated and are fresh water. By "fresh", they are the same water that you drink and that is used in cooking on the ship. The water comes from 2 sources. First, they have huge storage tanks which are filled in Port Canaveral. Secondly, they cleanse sea water by a process of reverse osmosis and then filtration. This is the same way that bottled water is made, and in many cases the ship's water is more pure than bottled water. It costs less for them to purchase water in PC than to process it on the ship, so as much as possible that is the source on 3/4 night cruises. They do not purchase water in foreign ports.

The information posted below is incorrect on both counts.

Usually no but I can't be positive. They empty the pool every night for cleaning. It gets refilled by the treated sea water so it's not fresh water. Heated I can't be sure but i don't think so.

The information posted by WrittenOnYourHeart, moki'smommy and jwalk03 are correct.

The pools are indeed fresh water pools (obviously chlorinated and treated) and are heated.

ex techie

"heated" is in the eye of the beholder though. I have still often found the water temperature quite cool (I mainly cruise Disney in October/November when the weathers turning a bit cooler). Sometimes it's refreshing and sometimes it's chilly.

The heaters kick in when the water temperature drops below 75 degrees.

If the pool has recently been filled (i.e early morning) or after a purge for cleaning (kiddie pools), it will take a while for the temperature to rise.

ex techie

Obviously the pools warm up in the sun thru the day. The heaters are automatic, but when the pools are newly filled, it takes time for the water to get up to temperature and the heater to shut off. For the Quiet Cove pool, the cold is in the morning. For the family and kiddie pools, any time the pool has to be shut down for a "biological," the heaters are starting over with fresh cold water.

SO....if people would follow the rules about kids who are not toilet trained, the water in the family and kid pools would be more consistent thru the day! Unfortunately, the shallowest pool is closed almost every day for additional cleanings.

From my view, 75 feels pretty cold. I like the water in the adult pool in the afternoon when the sun has had a chance to go beyond what the heaters do!

Edited by moki'smommy

We are sailing with you and have a 6yo granddaughter who loves the water. We may see you at the pool!!

We Sail on the Dream on the 23rd and CANNOT wait but my wife asked if the pools were heated and fresh water? I thought they were but was not 100% sure....we have 7 year old triplets who love the water regardless but still wanted any insight???? Thank you in advance.....:D

"heated" is in the eye of the beholder though. I have still often found the water temperature quite cool (I mainly cruise Disney in October/November when the weathers turning a bit cooler). Sometimes it's refreshing and sometimes it's chilly.

Absolutely.

In the heat of the Caribbean, 75 degree water is going to be really unpleasantly cold to many of us. My brother has his pool in the lower 80s when he'll be swimming his laps and that is the ONLY use of the pool. But if we're visiting, he turns it up, as we don't do laps. We casually swim, we hang out in the water. Lower 80s when it's hotter than that outside is cold. If his wife will be home and it'll be warm and she might want to go in, he turns it up to over 90. Otherwise she's turning blue and not enjoying her time in the water at all.

75 degrees when it's 85? I'm not going in that water.

75 degrees when it's 85? I'm not going in that water.

The point is not that the pool water is 75 degrees. It is that the heaters kick on at 75. As you noted, the pools warm up quickly in the Caribbean sun. In the afternoon, the adult pool is typically around 85. The small kid pools heat up more quickly (very shallow water), and are quite warm provided additional cleanings have not been required.

And yes, I'm used to private pools that hover at or just below 90, which I consider quite comfortable.