How windy does it have to be to miss Coco Cay?

Looks like we're in for a windy few days in Nassau and Coco Cay next week. Forecast shows 22 mph winds the day we're supposed to be in Coco Cay. I understand the wave height also has something to do with whether we stop there. Just wondering if anyone knows how windy it has to be before Coco Cay is scrapped.

As poster Bob mentionned, the tendering operations dictate whether or not it is SAFE to drop anchor.

Like a chain which is only as strong as its weakest link, tendering is the most sensitive aspect of a tender call. ...not only as you arrive...but what it is predicted to be upon departure time window.

If the Master feels that , at any time during the stop, tenders operations could be deemed unsafe, then his/her decision is made acccordingly.

All these Bahamians Islands are flat and there is virtually no ''sheltering'' against the elements. Waves are one thing ships can handle well enough, but tender boats ?...not so well above 2 or 3 '.

Swells are more dicey to deal with; even ships will ''move'' when dealing with good size swells; you can imagine what a tender boat has to deal with.

The '' hit and miss'' Bahamian Islands stops for the cruise lines is notorious...Disney Wonder aborted its Castaway Island stop yesterday for exemple...and Enchantement missed her CoCoCay stop 3 of 4 trips...Not entirely unusual and a bit more prevalent January and into February.

Just my opinion.

Looks like we're in for a windy few days in Nassau and Coco Cay next week. Forecast shows 22 mph winds the day we're supposed to be in Coco Cay. I understand the wave height also has something to do with whether we stop there. Just wondering if anyone knows how windy it has to be before Coco Cay is scrapped.

Conditions are evaluated on a case by case basis. There is no certain cutoff point as it largely depends on the direction of the wind, tide level, currents, etc. When you arrive, If you see the waves crashing over the breakwater then plan on getting the announcement of a missed port. If you want to reduce the chance of a missed call there, avoid travel during the rougher winter season. It's a good idea to have a plan B. We always use a missed call to Coco Cay and the overnight in Nassau to treat ourselves to an evening at Graycliff.

Thanks for your responses. I usually cruise at this time of year to escape the cold in Toronto and have always been lucky and had calm seas at Coco Cay. My son and DIL are coming with me this time (virgin cruisers) and are super excited about visiting Coco Cay. Oh well, it will be an excuse for them to cruise again!

As you and Bob have captured, the magnitude and direction of the winds and seas experienced are key factors. It all comes down to the Captain's assessment of whether passengers can be safely moved between ship and tender and of the comfort of the ride to shore.

Better mildly disgruntled passengers than injured green ones. leading to too many variables to be able to predict the odds.

Being in a small boat in rough seas or high winds can is not for everyone; so while it'll be hard to know beforehand, trust that the crew will proceed with the safety and comfort of all the guests in mind -- even those of us who "tender" regularly recognize that there are days when it's best to "never get out of the boat!"

For what it's worth. The Master of the Ship (Captain) decides if anchoring at Coco Cay is safe. The RCI Island Manager runs the tender program and decides if tender operations are safe or not. Either one or both can negate a stop at Coco Cay.

It's not only wind speed but also wind direction. The problem is tendering. The channel leading into Coco Cay is very narrow and surrounded by large rocks. Additionally, loading the tenders from the ship can be very challenging and potentially unsafe at times.

We've missed Coco Cay several times and have even been evacuated due to high winds. I never count on making our scheduled stop there.

As poster Bob mentionned, the tendering operations dictate whether or not it is SAFE to drop anchor.

Like a chain which is only as strong as its weakest link, tendering is the most sensitive aspect of a tender call. ...not only as you arrive...but what it is predicted to be upon departure time window.

If the Master feels that , at any time during the stop, tenders operations could be deemed unsafe, then his/her decision is made acccordingly.

All these Bahamians Islands are flat and there is virtually no ''sheltering'' against the elements. Waves are one thing ships can handle well enough, but tender boats ?...not so well above 2 or 3 '.

Swells are more dicey to deal with; even ships will ''move'' when dealing with good size swells; you can imagine what a tender boat has to deal with.

The '' hit and miss'' Bahamian Islands stops for the cruise lines is notorious...DiDisney Wonder aborted its Castaway Island stop yesterday for exemple...and Enchantement missed her CoCoCay stop 3 of 4 trips...Not entirely unusual and a bit more prevalent January and into February.

Just my opinion.

BTW, Castaway CAY is not a tender port.

...... We always use a missed call to Coco Cay and the overnight in Nassau to treat ourselves to an evening at Graycliff.

That is an EXCELLENT plan B in my mind! Thumbs up!

We missed Coco Cay during the last week of January. It did not seem that windy, but you could tell the difference from other visits how the waves were hitting the shoreline (even from a distance) that the tenders would have a difficult time.

It's too bad that so many people complained about missing Coco Cay when the Captain had everyone's safety as the #1 priority. I mean, who would want to be thrown between ship and tender getting on/off! Or worse yet, what a horrible event it would be to have a tender capsize.

So, I do love the Plan B option and Graycliff is quite special! Nicely done!

We missed CocoCay last week. I was prepared since EOTS had missed the past few visits. The winds were really bad that day. Captain got us to Nassau by 3pm instead. We spent the day at Graycliff as well. (too chilly for beach weather)