Sapphire Beach vs Emerald Beach

maryland

Our ship will be docking at Crown Bay and we are trying to decide which beach to go to. There will only be 2 ships in STT that day - ours at Crown Bay and a Carnival ship at the West Indian Dock. We were leaning towards Sapphire, but just read about the Carnival shore excursion that goes there.

Does anyone have a recommendation one way or the other? We are just looking for a quiet, relaxing day on a beautiful beach.

How about taxi fares, chair rental prices, and food options - what can we expect?

Just get dropped at the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort and rent chairs there. Tour the property while there, nice little gift shop and very nice restrooms!

Another option is Honeymoon Beach on Water Island, but being a small bay the nicer part of the beach by Dinghy's Beach Bar gets very crowded. And the beach at Lindbergh is very nice so we'd go to the BW and enjoy the day there.

Edited by blue_water

Thanks blue_water - We've been to Honeymoon Beach and enjoyed that but we decided to try somewhere new. Any particular reason you suggested Lindbergh over Sapphire - distance, facilities, scenery, etc? Really appreciate your input :-)

Ho,

We rent a condo at Sapphire, and as a beach to actually stay on it's unrivaled in its beauty. The island views and different shades of blue are gorgeous, and there is abundant natural shade.

Last month we visited both the Island Beachcomber and Best Western Emerald properties in Lindbergh Bay again (as well as the BW Carib which I wouldn't recommend), and my wife enjoyed the time at the BW Emerald and the beach and geach bar there. For a nice relaxing day much closer to the port the BW works well. Going to Sapphire you may find it to be a nicer beach, or you may not. To us Sapphire just oozes character.

But if snorkeling isn't a priority I'd recommend heading to the BW Emerald and enjoying more time there. It is also a very nice beach to relax at, and this should be a good day to go there. There will be others there, but it should be comfortable. But just my 2 cents! ;)

Our favorite beach is Sapphire. The views are amazing and the colors of the water are beautiful. We have spent land vacations there and are going back in March while on a cruise. Chair rentals are $9, the Banana Cabana has food & drinks, the dive shop has some options too. There are also runners that take food and drink orders. Plus, Red Hook is also close by (about 3/4 of a mile)-- there are several fun bars/restaurants there to have a drink or a bite to eat.

Emerald Beach is pretty too-- more amenities than Sapphire and closer to the port. Either one will be a great beach day. Have fun.

Sorry for the spelling errors...

I meant to add that if you haven't been to the East End yet the ride there and back adds to the experience, just like the taxi, ferry, and taxi to a beach on St John. And as 2Pina mentioned Red Hook has some fun bars like Duffy's Love Shack, Island Time, and Latitude 18. But that's something you'd enjoy in the evenings while on a land vacation.

So for a nice relaxing beach day with little travel time the BW Emerald works well, if you want to take in more of STT then Sapphire would be our recommendation. BW Emerald is more a hotel and restaurant experience, while Sapphire is a beach with a condo property and the restaurant has been closed for some time. And BW has very nice restrooms like you'd find at a hotel, while Sapphire has beach restrooms that are decent but they are beach restrooms. BW has a staff and a restaurant, while at Sapphire you'll find a beach grill and dive center. Just two different experiences, BW will be a bit nicer experience for sure.

Edited by blue_water

Thanks for all the helpful info - decisions, decisions :-)

I gave my wife the choices you're considering and she didn't hesitate - Sapphire! :p

I agree, simply because it's so nice, and you'll have a chance to see some of the island and views enroute. If you don't mind spending a little extra for taxi fares you could also stop in Red Hook and visit Duffy's Love Shack, it's more a late night spot but worth a visit. Grab a drink and keep the glass, they open at 11:30AM.

http://www.duffysloveshack.com/

Have a great cruise!

Edited by blue_water
Duffy's

The proximity to Crown and the BW facilities are really the only reasons to go to Lindbergh as discussed above, definitely not a snorkeling beach but a nice beach to relax on and swim or wade with nice restrooms and a beach restaurant.

Dive In at Sapphire rents anything you need including snorkel gear, inflatable life vests for snorkeling, kayaks, SUP's, and even nice float mats for just floating in the ocean. Both are usually quite calm.

Sapphire webcam and drone video -

www.sapphireinthesun.com

If you're considerign snorkeling and have the same other criteria Sapphire is the best option. Secret Harbor is also nice and offers snorkeling, that's our second choice after Sapphire. Not much natural shade and a busier vibe being a smaller bay but there is a restaurant there and a dive center.

AA Divers webcam at SH -

http://www.aadivers.com/view_cam.php

I gave my wife the choices you're considering and she didn't hesitate - Sapphire! :p

I agree, simply because it's so nice, and you'll have a chance to see some of the island and views enroute. If you don't mind spending a little extra for taxi fares you could also stop in Red Hook and visit Duffy's Love Shack, it's more a late night spot but worth a visit. Grab a drink and keep the glass, they open at 11:30AM.

http://www.duffysloveshack.com/

Have a great cruise!

Sapphire it is! Again, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated :-)

Sapphire it is! Again, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated :-)

No problem, just paying forward for all of the helpful advice we've gotten on these forums. You can choose a shaded spot to the right of the dive center (as you face the water), or a sunny spot to the left, no restrictions by the water. If you do get lunch I'd recommend going to the Banana Cabana to order rather than waiting for the runner, it's located between condo bldgs B & C (bldg A is next to the dive center). They'll ask you to return in about 10 min. To pick it up in a to-go box. Their mahi mahi sandwich is excellent, and love the garlic pickle. Not cheap at $14, but big enough to share if you're not starving. Burger was also good.

Be sure to call and wave to your friends on the webcam!

If you're renting snorkeling equipment from the dive shack at Sapphire Beach, just be aware that you must leave a credit card as security.

I ordered the mahi mahi wrap from a runner on the beach, and she returned in about 15 minutes with my sandwich (came with a bag of chips) and a Miller Lite - $20 with tip.

Yes always carry a cc when expecting to rent anything.

The runner does deliver, and she actually does an amazing job servicing the beach and deserves the tip so I would go to her. If you find it's taking a long time you can order yourself though.

Do try and make time to stop at Duffy's in Red Hook - again, it's more fun late at night, but you can still get a feel for it and have a couple of souvenirs along with a "I got laid at Duffy's Love Shack" sticker. :p

perhaps someone can assist me, we are sailing of Freedom of the seas and trying to figure out which dock that will be coming in at?

The 2 beaches we are considering are Emerald at best western or saphire, maybe even secret harbour.... The info from the OP and replies all seem to be based on that ship at the other port? Which is the best beach closest to where FOS will dock? TIA :)

perhaps someone can assist me, we are sailing of Freedom of the seas and trying to figure out which dock that will be coming in at?

The 2 beaches we are considering are Emerald at best western or saphire, maybe even secret harbour.... The info from the OP and replies all seem to be based on that ship at the other port? Which is the best beach closest to where FOS will dock? TIA :)

http://www.**********/general_usvi/cruiseship/ship_schedule.php?i=1&m=3&y=2015

For ship schedules

The OP is docking at Crown Bay which is to the west of Charlotte Amalie and very close to LIndbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach which is the name of the Best Western hotel there). FOS generally docks at Havensight (West Indies dock) which is to the east of Charlotte Amalie. Since Lindbergh Bay is to the west of CA it's a good 15 - 20 min taxi from Havensight. So you could also go to Sapphire or Secret Harbor which are 20 - 25 min.

The closest beach to your port is Morningstar where the Marriott is, also a nice beach. But most folks consider the East End beaches the nicest beaches including Lindqvist, Sapphire, Coki, and SH.

Here's a map to give you a better feel for the beach locations in relation to Havensight -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html