Jogging track

karenbeanpole

I guess I never get tired of the view. Up on deck as the sun is about to rise, and all through the sunrise. the views are incredible (pictures). I even like walking mid-day. The added attraction of people watching makes up for dogging the obstacles (people and chairs). While jogging or running is not practical on a nice sea day during prime time you can still walk at a pretty good pace overall with a few slow spots each lap.

I use a watch with a lap counter to keep track of the laps, you need too many laps to keep count of in your head to get any distance. I'll do 2 to 4 miles on a typical sea day.

Did you measure the distance on your Garmin GPS while the ship was stationary or while it was moving? Of course measurements will be distorted with a GPS if the ship is moving. I've never tested the stated measurement but they do have signs indicating 8 laps per mile:

IMG_7744-S.jpg

IF, you get out the very early, 6-6:30 you will not have to dodge the others watching the sun rise or the waves:rolleyes: on the Solstice, like the Equinox, it really takes close to 10 loops to reach a mile on our Garmin.

I would be weary about using a Garmin to determine distance of a jogging track as they are notoriously inaccurate.

Guys we run 8-10 Half Marathons a year and are well aware of the short comings of the Garmin on the tangents of a course, let alone a moving ship at sea.

The very best track on a Ship is the one set up and measured by Runners World on the RCCL Freedom OTS.

The additional deck area on the Reflection that expanded the track worked out closer to the posted distance. But the tight itty bitty one on the Equinox reminded us the ole song, 'You got me going in circles!'

Edited by wallie5446

It is a joint area for runners walkers and strollers, not exclusive to any one group. The next time anyone tells me to get out the way they will get the exact opposite and a polite request to GO ROUND ME.

IMO, at least early in the day, people should follow the rule of "walking on the right, running on the left", which is done at many indoor tracks.

I can't help but get up early while on a cruise. I have no idea why that is but it happens so I am always out early doing my workouts and if I am cruising running on the deck is my preferred type of exercise. You can't beat the view!

By the way, anyone knows how many laps it takes on the Summit? A crew member once let me use their stepper that also tracked miles but it didn't work very well. I think someone mentioned 16 laps but that seems an awful lot.

I don't think there is a right way or wrong way round the track. I go whichever way I want, usually the opposite way of walkers since we can then see each other coming. It is only courtesy to make way for others and not block. I'm sure most people are oblivious that they are blocking you when they are just sauntering along or having a chat. After all it is their holiday too and they are chilling out.

That's why I try to run very early. This way I can run whichever direction and have less hazards, better views, and not so hot.

The jogging/walking track on these ships are very annoying because they are also the main walkway to and from other venues as well, especially the buffet area, so not only do you have to contend with other exercisers but also with anyone going from one end of that deck to the other.

Those just using it as the walkway tend to meander slowly along, take up the whole track or stop and talk right in the middle, or go the wrong way. That's not even to mention the people who pull their loungers out into the walkway itself, making a hazard. I've seen people actually fall over the chairs sticking out.

Getting up earlier works much better, or, since I don't like getting up that early on a cruise, walking late in the afternoon, around 5-7 works pretty well. You also get to see the sunsets that way.

Towards the end of our last cruise I finally started walking around the track, then up the stairs and around the next level, down the stairs, etc. That way I didn't have so many laps to count, just walked by time instead.

Since the promenade deck really doesn't work for walking on Solstice class ships, there isn't much choice, except treadmills, which I hate.

Good point

Since it is the way to get from one end if the deck to the other, we all have to share the space

I wish there was a true promenade deck at least-- oh well maybe in the new ship?

I usually walk in the late afternoon when everyone else is getting ready for dinner or at the Elite cocktail party. Between 5 and 6 pm is an excellent time with very few people out and good for reflecting about the day.:D i just cant seem to get up early enough to be out there at daybreak.