fitbit on HAL???

RoupMom

I'm sure someone will know the answer to this. I'm not enough of a techie yet to know. I have been enjoying my fitbit and have really been encouraged to eat better and get my exercise since using it. I cruise in 3 weeks and would like to use it then if possible. I don't remember that the computers in the center on board as being "complete" with a USB port so I could use the widget to connect for my data. My phone will handle bluetooth, as will the fitbit, but I'm not very familiar with that technology. Will that work on the ship so I can sync the fitbit and phone to store data? Is there some other way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by RoupMom

You will need to connect to phone and sync via bluetooth. Not sure how long it will work with out phone connecting to internet. Be careful enabling data on your phone as you could generate a very large data roaming bill. Recommend what KK said and bring your own laptop.

Bluetooth is a completely separate radio from your WiFi and cellular. You'll have to check your phone's manual / instructions, but you ought to be able to turn on Bluetooth while WiFi and cellular are off. It's NOT airplane mode, which turns off all the radios.

You should be able to test this at home, and it's probably a good idea.

You don't say which Fitbit you have, but most of the units will store 8 to 10 days worth of data, so unless you want to carry a laptop with you, just enjoy your cruise and see how you did when you get home. Most of your activities are available on the screen, but don't be surprised if walking on a rocking boat earns you many flights of stairs.

I can't answer your techie question, but will confirm that you will log waaaayyy more stairs than you physically climb. I always take the stairs, but have a hard time believing I was actually climbing over 100 sets of stairs each day on our transatlantic! I think 156 sets was my record;)

In the end, it all evened out for me as I never tried to synch it and lost most of those days worth of activity.

Edited by HALrunner
typo

I have the fitbit one. If I want to see readings, I just click on the fitbit's button.

In addition to bluetooth, I found I need a data connection for the device to update to their servers in order for the dashboard to be updated.

You can connect via Bluetooth without an Internet connection to transfer the data and update your dashboard.

You only need wifi / data connection to complete the sync to the Fitbit site.

Go into Airplane mode and the start up the Bluetooth, before you travel, and you can see how it works.

You can connect via Bluetooth without an Internet connection to transfer the data and update your dashboard.

You only need wifi / data connection to complete the sync to the Fitbit site.

Go into Airplane mode and the start up the Bluetooth, before you travel, and you can see how it works.

I just turned my iPhone to airplane mode and turned on Bluetooth and it said I needed Wi-Fi to sync my fitbit.

I have the Fitbit One, wore it all the time on an RCL cruise for 8 days and also while in Europe for almost 3 weeks, also on this trip we were on a Danube cruise. Had no problem. The charge lasted the whole trip (I didn't use the sleep band on the Europe trip). It only went dead on the last day and that was the flight home so it didn't matter. It always updated my dashboard and I could check when we had free wi-fi ( on the Danube cruise and all the hotels) to see how I was doing. Not sure which type you have but as someone mentioned, just click the butter and you can see steps, stairs, miles, etc. with the One. If you have the wrist band as some of my friends have (and used on the Europe trip) they just got the signal they had done the 10,000 steps. Hope this helps.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I've tried turning on bluetooth and airplane mode on my phone, but my fitbit flex won't sync without wifi. Believe it or not, I do not have a lap top. :( My DH has been very tech-averse, but does use a few basic functions on our iPad, but since he's not going on this cruise (this is a sister trip!) I need to leave it home. Despite his not-too-strong objections, I think I'm going to have to get a tablet for the trip. Yeah! I'll also check to see how many days data the flex will store.

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming!

The flex holds the most recent 7 days of data.

http://www.fitbit.com/flex/specs

If you turn off data roaming, but do not go into airplane mode, you should be able to turn on Bluetooth to sync - and not run into data roaming charges.

Bluetooth sync doesn't happen automatically. You have to pair the fitbit to your phone initially. This is done through the fitbit app. You also need to have Bluetooth enabled.

To try it at home, turn WiFi off. Turn Bluetooth on. Now run the fitbit app. It should walk you through pairing.

More information: I just called my cell provider and she checked carefully about my particular phone. I don't have international roaming ability, so that's fine, but she says on a cruise ship is different, the cruise line can/will charge for phone usage even for data. However I can leave the phone off when on the ship, and then sync when I'm on shore, which wouldn't take long, so wouldn't hold up the rest of my fun! OR, I can just go ahead and get a small tablet and take my fitbit wifi widget! :) DH might not be entirely happy, but I will be.