Kayaking in Geiranger - what to wear?

We have booked a kayaking trip in Geiranger in late June. Instructions from the company on what to wear talks about long wool underwear and other wicking garments. We kayaked in Alaska and rain jackets and pants were provided for us. Don't really plan to pack big gear just for kayaking. I would appreciate any advice from those of you who have kayaked in Norway. I know the weather can be variable. Could we get by with quick dry shorts and waterproof jackets?

It will depend a great deal on what the weather's like that day, which you can't know in advance. The one time that we did this, it was in the second half of June - we had a gloriously sunny day and it was quite warm, and it didn't actually matter that I fell into the water. The group were simply wearing T-shirts and polo shirts, and of course the lifejacket has the advantage of keeping you a bit warmer too. But it was the first sunny day they'd had all season, and we were simply lucky - there had been a lot of cold wet days.

I don't think that you can assume that just because one company in Alaska provided you with some wet weather clothing, a different company in Norway will do the same. You should ask them what they will provide.

• 1 month later...

We have a kayaking trip booked in May and it's really a tough call as to how we are to be dressed. I do understand they have attire you can rent from them, but I don't know the cost. We have a cruise going all the way up to North Cape, so we will have a wide attire of outwear with us and will just play it by ear as to what the weather is like that day. It probably makes the most sense to dress in layers from all I'm hearing.

Any idea how hard it is to find Active Geiranger (where most of the kayak tours appear to be out of?) from where the ship docks?

We have a kayaking trip booked in May and it's really a tough call as to how we are to be dressed. I do understand they have attire you can rent from them, but I don't know the cost. We have a cruise going all the way up to North Cape, so we will have a wide attire of outwear with us and will just play it by ear as to what the weather is like that day. It probably makes the most sense to dress in layers from all I'm hearing.

Any idea how hard it is to find Active Geiranger (where most of the kayak tours appear to be out of?) from where the ship docks?

This is from their website:

Arriving Geiranger by cruise ship? We can meet you at the port and transport you to our kayak centre by boat. This takes only about 5 minutes and we will make sure that you will be back in time before your ship leaves Geiranger.

Please note your ship name when you do the booking.

Welcome to a special and individual adventure in Geiranger!

Welcome to a special and individual adventure in Geiranger

http://www.activegeiranger.no/index.php/information-active-geiranger-contact-products-services/cruise

Wow...thank you so much I-Cruiser! I don't know how I missed that page. After I wrote this post, I went back to their web site and found the button to talk to them live and I asked where they were and they told me what you have said. That they will be picking us up where the cruise tenders. They said they would be emailing me details tonight, so guess I jumped the gun in asking the question here, but so appreciate you finding this thread. Thanks!

Wow...thank you so much I-Cruiser! I don't know how I missed that page. After I wrote this post, I went back to their web site and found the button to talk to them live and I asked where they were and they told me what you have said. That they will be picking us up where the cruise tenders. They said they would be emailing me details tonight, so guess I jumped the gun in asking the question here, but so appreciate you finding this thread. Thanks!

Good one :) I am so happy for you. kayaking is so much fun. We did it on a tour on a Canada/New England cruise - love it.

Active Geiranger is a very good company. The owner is a great guy;) have fun.:)

I-Cruiser, Yes, we too like to kayak. I do wonder if I made a hasty decision since I'm hearing how you shouldn't "waste your time" with any of the boating tours that are around the Seven Sisters since the cruise ships go right past it when going in and out. Coming in will be very early in the morning and we'd probably miss it, but going back out, we would probably see it. Still though, as you said, kayaking is fun and doing it in a beautiful fjord still sounds pretty nice. Good to hear that you like this company. That's always a positive thing to hear.

I do wonder if I made a hasty decision since I'm hearing how you shouldn't "waste your time" with any of the boating tours that are around the Seven Sisters since the cruise ships go right past it when going in and out.
I probably wouldn't waste my time or money on a sightseeing boat trip past the Seven Sisters, for the reasons you give. But kayaking in the fjord is a completely different experience.

I probably wouldn't waste my time or money on a sightseeing boat trip past the Seven Sisters, for the reasons you give. But kayaking in the fjord is a completely different experience.

Thank you! We are actually doing kayaking in the fjord along with a hike to a different perspective of the fjord, so since I already booked it, I'm going to keep moving forward and not look back. It will be a good day. But yes, thank you for helping me clarify it in my own head.