What does strenuous activitymean in excursions

MUD

We have walked (notice I don't say "hiked":)) all over Europe, and you do have to be aware that cobbles and stone steps are hard on the legs. It's best to be prepared, with stout walking shoes, and if you are going to need one, a walking stick.

I have noticed in a number of reviews of HAL shore excursions, that the recommendation was to up the number of "people walking" in the HAL descriptions. It really is best to scroll down and read the passenger reviews.

My DH & I did this excursion in Seville on HAL. It is a long day. We enjoyed it but many people had problems with the walking. Our guide kept a very brisk pace. Many of the group could not keep up. The guide called the group together and told the ones who could not keep up he would be leaving them in one of the city squares. He told them he would phone the bus driver and have him pick them up and we would meet up with them at lunch. Many people didn't like this. He said it was not fair to the rest of the group who were not having problems to keep them from missing many of the sites. The next day they made an announcement on ship to everyone to please not book excursions that were beyond their level of comfort. A another problem on this tour they did not have any bathroom breaks built in the tour until lunch time. The guide told some people they would need to go into a coffee shop buy something to eat or drink in order to use their restroom. It was an interesting day.

This is one of my pet peeves with HAL. They do a poor job of communicating the level of fitness required for excursions and as a result, they water down the experiences.

My husband and I are in our 60's and are very fit. I ran a marathon about a month ago and have worked out nearly daily for my entire life. For us, the HAL excursions are never a challenge. The problem is that they consistently allow just about anybody to sign up and slow down the trips. We've pretty much given up on HAL excursions, in part because of this problem. I can't even count the number of times we've been on hikes or walking tours that were supposed to be strenuous, but were cut short or occurred in slow motion because of the physical limitations of the participants. I don't blame the guides. They are put in an untenable situation. HAL needs to make it clear that the individual who overestimates his own abilities should be the one who is forced to suffer the consequences of signing up for an excursion that he can't do. Instead, it is the group (who paid good money for a trip) who now has to slow down or miss part of the excursion because of individuals who just don't get it. It's really frustrating to be on a trip with people who had other options for easier excursions who have to spoil the experience for others. This happens over and over again.

On a recent HAL cruise we took a "one person symbol" tour and it turned out to be quite walking intensive and difficult for most of the people on our bus. So, as others have advised, if you have ANY walking issues, do alot of research here on CC before you book ANY tour.

Also, the shore excursion desk staff is normally very informed on this issue and can advise you far better than some online description. Further, read the reviews on HAL's tour booking section as they often warn you of issues others have experienced.

DaveOKC

My DH & I did this excursion in Seville on HAL. It is a long day. We enjoyed it but many people had problems with the walking. Our guide kept a very brisk pace. Many of the group could not keep up. The guide called the group together and told the ones who could not keep up he would be leaving them in one of the city squares. He told them he would phone the bus driver and have him pick them up and we would meet up with them at lunch. Many people didn't like this. He said it was not fair to the rest of the group who were not having problems to keep them from missing many of the sites. The next day they made an announcement on ship to everyone to please not book excursions that were beyond their level of comfort. A another problem on this tour they did not have any bathroom breaks built in the tour until lunch time. The guide told some people they would need to go into a coffee shop buy something to eat or drink in order to use their restroom. It was an interesting day.
That is my kind of guide.

Walking and stair climbing. Unless, you are under 40 avoid those excursions.

Seriously? I am approaching 70 and go to the gym four times a week. When the snow goes away I come home from the gym and walk for three miles. Stairs are no issue at all although I do appreciate a hand rail.

My husband is in his 80s and can do 20 minutes on a cross trainer followed by half an hour on a treadmill. He can also walk several miles if he is on an even surface. That is his limitation at this point so hiking in the woods or long walks on cobblestones are out for him now. He still enjoys going to the office for half days as well. A few short flights of stairs are no problem either.

Age is just a number and a person's level of fitness dictates what they can do as opposed to how old they are. Unavoidable medical issues can sometimes prevent a person from staying fit. That goes without saying, of course.

Edited by sapper1

On a recent HAL cruise we took a "one person symbol" tour and it turned out to be quite walking intensive and difficult for most of the people on our bus. So, as others have advised, if you have ANY walking issues, do alot of research here on CC before you book ANY tour.

Also, the shore excursion desk staff is normally very informed on this issue and can advise you far better than some online description. Further, read the reviews on HAL's tour booking section as they often warn you of issues others have experienced.

DaveOKC

We have had this exact experience. Extensive walking and at a fast pace that at least half of us could not keep up with. It seems that the people who evaluate these shore excursions are very young and very fit. HAL needs to have someone with some mobility issues and/or breathing issues to reevaluate the "one person symbol" excursions.

Edited by lazey1

It seems that the people who evaluate these shore excursions are very young and very fit. HAL needs to have someone with some mobility issues and/or breathing issues to reevaluate the "one person symbol" excursions.

So true, which is why I make it a practice to go to the Shore Excursion desk after boarding, and ask some very specific questions.

I learned a long time ago DO NOT ask "How far is it to (fill in the blank)", as the answer was invariably "Not far". Really? YOUR "not far" may be my "couldn't do it in a day". So, now I ask "What is the distance to (fill in the blank)". Often, I still get the "Not far" response, or "It's a 3-minute walk", but I press until I get a concrete answer. 100 feet? 100 yards? 1/4 mile? Your "3-minute" walk probably will take me 10 minutes.

Some people at the Shore Excursion desk are very knowledgeable and sensitive to those who can't do what they used to. Others aren't, and you need to push until you know if you can reasonably be expected to keep up and be happy about it.