Cabin selection

JenInMD

We're still fairly new to cruising and have learned so much from everyone on here. So, I'm hoping to get opinions on selecting a cabin.

Do you think it's more important to select based on deck level or on cabin location (ie. midship, aft, forward)?

We are looking into a cruise on the Grandeur with a choice of midship on Deck Two or forward on Deck 4. We've usually stayed on Deck Six or higher on previous cruises, and usually midship. Just trying to balance convenience of location vs. not feeling major motion.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I prefer to pay more attention to cabin location, rather than deck...look for a cabin with other cabins around, above & below you..large white areas behind an inside cabin can be an indication of a crew or maintenance area ...and be noisy. I had such a cabin on the Enchantment a few months ago...and it seemed to have a lot of bumps & banging noises occuring periodically thru the night...

I have gone on 3 cruises and have a 4th booked...so I can only speak from those experiences. We usually book deck 6-8 and as close to midship as possible. If midship is not available, I pick AFT as close to AFT elevator as possible. I have vertigo on land, lol, so midship and close to AFT elevator is best for me. The lower deck is also better. Last cruise was on Freedom and we were on the hump E2 category deck 6 and no issues with seasickness.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We prefer booking on a deck closest to where we will spend most of our DAYTIME hours...makes it easier and faster to get around, if you can use the stairs, instead of elevators!

That's exactly what we usually try to do, but the upper decks (where we have always stayed) are all booked. So, our choices are Decks 2, 3, or 4. Just wasn't sure if we'd feel it more or less being so much lower. We usually do like midship, but there is limited availability there, too.

That's exactly what we usually try to do, but the upper decks (where we have always stayed) are all booked. So, our choices are Decks 2, 3, or 4. Just wasn't sure if we'd feel it more or less being so much lower. We usually do like midship, but there is limited availability there, too.

I know that I was on Vision this past September and had a aft cabin on deck 8 and was feeling some vibration! Went to 1st breakfast in MDR and same feeling of vibration. I really think they were working on something, because by the time we had left our 2nd port it was nonexistent!

We haven't cruised in a long time but when we went on our four cruises in the past we were always in an inside cabin on the lowest possible deck in the middle and never felt any motion or heard noises. This time when we go on Independence of the Seas we are in an inside cabin deck 9 all the way to the front. Hoping we don't feel anything.

I stayed on Grandeur on deck 2 (first cruise!) and was mid-ship. We were feeling really rocky for about two days. I can't imagine what the other people were feeling. It was a good location, very quiet, and not a lot of foot traffic. It's easy to get out for port days, plus you'll get some exercise using the stairs. 4 is a bit busier since there's more things to do and it isn't just cabins. It just depends how sound of a sleeper you are. The best spot is to be on a ship anyway ;)

I stayed on Grandeur on deck 2 (first cruise!) and was mid-ship. We were feeling really rocky for about two days. I can't imagine what the other people were feeling. It was a good location, very quiet, and not a lot of foot traffic. It's easy to get out for port days, plus you'll get some exercise using the stairs. 4 is a bit busier since there's more things to do and it isn't just cabins. It just depends how sound of a sleeper you are. The best spot is to be on a ship anyway ;)

That's exactly what I was concerned about. We are limited at this point for available OV cabins. But I think we'll be better off with Decks 3 or 4. Nothing available on 7 or 8.