CHANGE in dress code?

fann1sh

People are going on vacation, they don't need the stress of squeezing into clothes that don't fit. Formal clothing is uncomfortable whether it fits or not.

My travel agent friend told me a while ago HAL is "hemorrhaging customers", her words not mine. Her feedback from customers includes anxiety about wearing formal clothes as one reason to avoid HAL.

Anxiety about formal clothes.

Stress of squeezing into clothes that don't fit.

Sounds like sending them to the Lido buffet was the solution AND cause of their problems. ;)

Seriously, though, squeezing into casual clothes is just as stressful. Dressing up in nice clothes that fit properly should make one feel better about themselves.

Why punish those of us who enjoy a dressy environment because of others' ill-fitting clothes?

I certainly would love to take a pole as to the demographic age group of those who find formal attire stressful. As with anything "new", if you've never had the opportunity to do it, your not used to it or have had a bad experience, human nature suggests we avoid it. My husband also pointed out, the longer the cruise, the more "exotic, variety, European" the ports, not Caribbean, the more adventuresome people are. Again demographic age group.

If someone is taking a cruise for the first time, that's something new. Give formal attire a shot. It's new too. Men can even go to a website, not sure if I can list it but reply if you want the address, and order a tux: coat, pants, shirt, cumber, bow tie, studs and shoes for under $100.00. Delivered on embarkation to your stateroom and they pick it up when you leave. HUMMM, now that I think about it, there's no weight factor then for the men, giving women for room for gowns!!!

DH and I are both 40 and prefer to dress up for formal night. I can say that one reason we have not cruised NCL is the fact that they no longer have formal nights. He already owns a tux and therefore that is the easiest choice and for me any occasion to get dressed up is a plus.

Why do people keep posting that rules aren't enforced??? That only encourages people to not bring proper attire then throw fits when the dining room manager on their ship DOES enforce the rules (as he did on our last three cruises).

I agree that people should cruise with a line that has rules that are agreeable to them before they board. Please don't sail with us on a line that has rules we agree with, then try to change things to your liking.

For reference, the following is from the "Know Before You Go" booklet for our upcoming cruise:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per seven days and three formal nights per ten days.

No jackets are noted.

Edited by jhannah

For reference, the following is from the "Know Before You Go" booklet for our upcoming cruise:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per seven days and three formal nights per ten days.

No jackets are noted.

Suits indicate jackets, of course.

one thing I always liked about Hal is most people dressed a little better

On my previous cruises there were quite a substantial number of men in tuxedos. Certainly that meets today's definition of formal.

Of course I will wear a tuxedo on my Caribbean cruise starting next weekend, too.

(And suits/jackets on other nights just like some posters mentioned to do before.)