kids on Escape

imdaring

Passport Card is a no go…it is only for land crossings.

Passport Book versus Birth Certificate…our child travels on her passport and has since she was a year old. It is my rationale that if something were to happen to her while traveling I do not want to delay being able to return to the US by air if needed while waiting on an expedited passport and travel documents.

Passport Card is a no go in my opinion although it is valid for both land crossings and sea to limited areas (Mexico, Canada, Caribbean and Bermuda). We want to travel in the 5 years of a child passport card or book beyond the countries accessible by Passport Card.

Passport Book versus Birth Certificate…our child travels on her passport and has since she was a year old. It is my rationale that if something were to happen to her while traveling I do not want to delay being able to return to the US by air if needed while waiting on an expedited passport and travel documents. Even with the Passport Card there would be a delay in returning the the US by Air and would need a passport book.

We decided to go with the passport books for our kids. Do they cost a bit more? Yes. Does the peace of mind they bring in case of an emergency off-set the cost? Absolutely. I want to be sure there are no issues with returning home if, Heaven forbid, something happens and we have to airlift to an non-US hospital. Just a choice we made for us.

hubby and I booked 2 rooms with the NEW escape and are taking our 3 kids in Feb 2016.

Questions passports for the kids yes no book card or just BC???

This is up to you. The only advantage to not getting the passport is saving money. Is it worth the money saved if you have to fly home for some reason?

I have both the passport and the passport card. The passport card fits in my wallet and doesn't really cost that much more when both are requested at the same time.

However, you have to decide if the cost savings is worth the costs saved.

We only used birth certificates for the kids and once they reached 16 their learners permit (and we used our BC/government issued ID). We decided to wait to get our passports since the only travel we could do was closed loop cruises. Yes, there is a small risk of having to fly back for some reason, but we made sure we had good travel insurance to cover that eventuality.