Emerald Princess turning around towards Texas

Rancher Dave

Took a look at Vesslefinder to see if all the ships that departed today were out into the Gulf of Mexico cutting a path to Mexico and Central America. Surprised to see Emerald going so slow and then turn around. Not sure what is going on, wonder if anyone else happens to know?

looks like a Galveston pilot may now board...guess (speculation only) there may be a medical emergency requiring a port of call in Galveston to take someone to the UTMB facilities. If this is the case, I certainly hope everything turns out well for the affected passenger and their family.

going alongside a cargo dock right by the hospital...so assume it is a medical emergency. If it were a ship problem I'd expect them to go a mile further and stop at one of the two cruise terminals.

Level 1 trauma center will be across the street from where they dock, so if it is medical great care is right there for the person.

I know someone on this cruise and he just posted on facebook that there is a medical emergency.

I just hate to see this happening. What a terrible thing. You look so forward to vacation and then this happens.

Our prayers going out to the passenger and family.

After mating with EP the Yellow Rose pilot boat beat it quickly back to the pier area of Galveston...could be anything...lots of folks watching the Emerald Cam from Galveston's tall condo building Emerald.

Trying to capture what we can on Cruise Cam also. Hard to see around Ocean Star.

I just hate to see this happening. What a terrible thing. You look so forward to vacation and then this happens.

Our prayers going out to the passenger and family.

Totally agree but at least they are close to land. I'm 54 and in ok health, no major problems. It scares the heck out of me to think about a cruise where you are in the middle of nowhere like a TA or Hawaii cruise. Not good if you suffer a medical emergency. Don't get me wrong, no time is a good time.

Yes. We are back at port for a medical emergency. A coast guard boat pulled up along side us VERY briefly about an hour ago. We think medical personnel boarded but do not know for sure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted.

LuLu

hopefully the extra port call is not too long...and that the sick/hurt pax and their family all end up ok.

Guess the USCG boat that mated with EP did not show up on AIS...only saw the pilot boats come out and I could see one of them rush a medical crew out to help.

Yes. We are back at port for a medical emergency. A coast guard boat pulled up along side us VERY briefly about an hour ago. We think medical personnel boarded but do not know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please keep us posted if you can. My thoughts and prayers are with the person and their family.

Totally agree but at least they are close to land. I'm 54 and in ok health, no major problems. It scares the heck out of me to think about a cruise where you are in the middle of nowhere like a TA or Hawaii cruise. Not good if you suffer a medical emergency. Don't get me wrong, no time is a good time.

Many areas in which the ships cruise have good USCG coverage so evac can happen...quite far into the GOM as needed with stops on oil rigs and platforms for fuel as needed to make a far out rescue happen.

No it's sure not, but if you do have an emergency, you sure don't want to be where you are far away from help.

hopefully the extra port call is not too long...and that the sick/hurt pax and their family all end up ok.

Guess the USCG boat that mated with EP did not show up on AIS...only saw the pilot boats come out and I could see one of them rush a medical crew out to help.

You know, you're probably right. The boat was in and out so fast. I know nothing and just thought it was a coast guard boat. Watching it pull alongside was interesting. Don't blink!

We went back to Galveston and have been back underway for probably about 30 minutes. Still don't know anything about the condition of the passenger, but it definitely seemed very serious. Thoughts are with them, how scary.

Captain said there is plenty of time to make it to Roatan so it will not affect our itinerary.

You know, you're probably right. The boat was in and out so fast. I know nothing and just thought it was a coast guard boat. Watching it pull alongside was interesting. Don't blink!

We went back to Galveston and have been back underway for probably about 30 minutes. Still don't know anything about the condition of the passenger, but it definitely seemed very serious. Thoughts are with them, how scary.

Captain said there is plenty of time to make it to Roatan so it will not affect our itinerary.

Glad the ship can catch up for Roatan.

Bring her back safely, we take her for a spin very soon ourselves. (On my last cruise we turned back to Miami but were met offshore by Miami Dade Fire Rescue who took sick pax and family back to the city for medical care. )