Family Sails Free Promotion - Confused

Mechman1971

So I am trying to actually find any cruises on the NCL website that have 3rd and fourth person free (as they are very LOUDLY advertising right now)...is there any easy way to find out exactly what cruises this is offered for? I've tried fake-booking 4 or 5 different cruises so far an this offer does not apply to them. I am always getting the chioce of the 3 packages, but never seem to get 3rd and 4th for free...

If you're using NCL.com on the calendar page there is a legend, if the promotion applies the date will be marked to match. When I checked the color was purple. You don't select the 3rd+ option, it is automatic. You select beverage, dining or onboard credit as your perk.

Here's the explanation from NCL.com

If it is really too confusing, just call NCL and let an agent walk you through options.

http://www.ncl.com/promo/wave15

Edited by Nola26
link added

Make sure you are looking at off peak cruises, since the 3-8th guest free isn't available generally when ever the kids are out of school.

Here's one I just looked at on the Breakaway on 12/13/2015....that shows the offer.

http://www.ncl.com/vacations/5-to-8-days-norwegian-breakaway-dec-2015-4-guests?sailmonths=4294925773&ships=4294963125&duration=8052&cruise=1&cruiseHotel=1&cruiseHotelAir=1&cruiseTour=1&numberOfGuests=4294915777&advancedSearch=true

Make sure you are looking at off peak cruises, since the 3-8th guest free isn't available generally when ever the kids are out of school.

Here's one I just looked at on the Breakaway on 12/13/2015....that shows the offer.

http://www.ncl.com/vacations/5-to-8-days-norwegian-breakaway-dec-2015-4-guests?sailmonths=4294925773&ships=4294963125&duration=8052&cruise=1&cruiseHotel=1&cruiseHotelAir=1&cruiseTour=1&numberOfGuests=4294915777&advancedSearch=true

Also, look at older ships. Spring Break 2017 on Getaway is kids 50% off, on Jade...Kids sail free.

When I booked our summer 2016 cruise , which is 50% off 3-8, the discount fare for the kids didn't show up until the payment page.

The UBP,UDP and OBC choices were shown at the top of the " choose your cabin" page. If booking a suite you did not enter a promo code as they get all 3.

The calendar view is easiest- as a previous poster said just go to the cruise you want, look at the dates and there is a little dash at the bottom of each square indicating the promotions available

For each date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another thing to think about...we booked a suite on the Star for four of us. It was less than booking two balcony cabins plus we got all of the perks. Ultimate beverage, dining packages, OBC and 3rd and 4th person free. Suite benefits are sweet!

So I am trying to actually find any cruises on the NCL website that have 3rd and fourth person free (as they are very LOUDLY advertising right now)...is there any easy way to find out exactly what cruises this is offered for? I've tried fake-booking 4 or 5 different cruises so far an this offer does not apply to them. I am always getting the chioce of the 3 packages, but never seem to get 3rd and 4th for free...

There is not a choice for the 3/4th free. It is automatically applied. It is valid for all sailings but some are 50% , some are free. Basically, all summer sailings nd then all peak sailings like Easter, feb break, thanksgiving, christmas- all 50% off. It is hard to see it many times because they have jacked up the 3/4th free prices so high. Sometimes you can tell by the price having 50 cents in the total for 3rd/4th passenger.

On top of that, you then pick one of the three other offers.

Try making your fake booking with only two people, and I think you'll find that the cruise fare suddenly jumped. The posted price on the website usually notes that all promotions have been applied, and the cost is the "average". So many people look and see they book 4 people at $500, and the total charge is $2000, but when they look at the price breakdown just before paying, you'll find that person #1&2 are $1000 each, and #3&4 are free. It's a bit deceptive, but all the lines do it, and it just keeps you on your toes reading the fine print.

I really don't know how legally NCL can say

FREE Drinks, FREE Specialty Dining, FREE Spending Money PLUS Friends & Family Sail FREE!
when what they are actually doing is a 50% off promotion preceeded by a doubling of the 3rd and 4th passenger with a few off peak free places thrown in as well.

Try making your fake booking with only two people, and I think you'll find that the cruise fare suddenly jumped. The posted price on the website usually notes that all promotions have been applied, and the cost is the "average". So many people look and see they book 4 people at $500, and the total charge is $2000, but when they look at the price breakdown just before paying, you'll find that person #1&2 are $1000 each, and #3&4 are free. It's a bit deceptive, but all the lines do it, and it just keeps you on your toes reading the fine print.

Yep. Hit the "details" button under the mock bookings total and it will show you the actual fare for each person traveling

The "choice of the 3 packages" is not an "either/or" with the "extra passengers free *OR* half-price". (Note that on some dates, that's half, not free.)

And there are still the regular port fees and taxes to be paid, so it's just the NCL passenger fare that is free or half-price.

And note: The "extra passengers in a cabin/suite" (beyond the first 2) never pay as much as the first two, so the savings isn't necessarily as great as it might seem when looking at the base fare. Only the first two passengers pay that anyway.

Keep on with the mock booking, and you'll then see how much "extra" there is for the 3rd/plus passengers.

Don't get confused if there is one stage where it appears that all passengers pay the same. They've added the total fares (full and free/half) and then divided by the number of passengers.

Just compare that to a mock booking with only 2 passengers and subtract.

Yes, the website could be a lot better with this part...

And on the drop down menu of sailing dates under each cruise description, there should also be little colored bars showing whether there are 'free' or 'half-price' for additional passengers. (This section can be confusing.)

Best thing is to call NCL or a Travel Agent and ask.

GeezerCouple

We booked the dawn for June 3, 2016 with passengers 3-5 free. It saved us $1200. The week after was only 1/2 off since I guess ours was considered off peak but later in June was considered peak season. That is one reason we chose the week we did. It made our 2 bedroom suite slightly cheaper than 2 balcony cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if I am allowed to say the website.. but I found a travel site that has a link that lists all sailings on all ships which are 50% off and which are FREE. It made our search a whole lot easier in choosing a date!

It was automatic for me. No promo code needed.

I really don't know how legally NCL can saywhen what they are actually doing is a 50% off promotion preceeded by a doubling of the 3rd and 4th passenger with a few off peak free places thrown in as well.

I know ! We saw the price of the 3rd and on double for one of our trips , making 50% of a wash. Already had the freebies from a previous promo.

Strangely we did get 50% off the usual 3-5th ( $699 peak in suite now $350 pp 3-5) for a trip in 2016 summer. Maybe I hit it before they jacked them up.

Now you will get yelled at for posting this because NCL is " giving" you so much!