Cancelling Cruise Air

CruiseCtrl

If I book the cruise + air now through the cruise line and find a good air deal later can I cancel the air portion of the booking without penalty? It's too early to be looking for air for March 2006.

I was told months ago when we booked ours, that yes, you can do that if you find a fare on your own that you prefer. But as you've probably read all over these boards, this means you are on your own as far as getting to the ship and be sure to plan in an extra day early just in case of delays, cancellations, etc.

I wouldn't be so sure that it's too early although you could catch a good deal somewhere if you watch carefully. We booked our January 06 flights back in April - they have never gone down. Can't imagine they will with the fuel situation the crisis that it is but you never know. And when you see a great fare advertised, most of the time it's one or two seats on an entire plane on days that do you no good and route you through Timbuktu. Food for thought. Another option is book soon and call the airline if the price goes down later for a voucher for future travel.

I too booked cruise air so at least I have one price locked in without payment, especially now after Katrina! You can cancel with no penalty up to the day you make your final payment.

Even if you make your own travel arrangements, you can still purchase the cruise line's (at least RCCL's) transfers if you want. This might be especially helpful on disembarkation.

At this point with my cruise in September, 2006, I am going to start looking for airfares the middle to end of October of this year. Will see how they price out.

So I think if your cruise is in the future, you should sign up for the cruise air so you at least have one set price w/o outlaying any monies.

Have a great cruise!

Pooh

When we booked cruise air as a precaution for our upcoming Transatlantic cruise, we were told we could cancel the air portion without penalty any time up to final payment. We found cheaper air saving us $300 per person a month or two later and canceled the cruise air without issue.

The legacy lines open up their schedules at 330 days out. I booked my March 2006 cruise out of San Juan this past March and have been looking for airfares ever since. Airfares have never gone down, they have only gone way up. Last week cruise air w/ custom air deviation was running about $200 per person LESS than airlines for the flights I would be willing to take. I don't know how much the difference is this week. I could've paid slightly less than cruise air to leave very early in the morning, take the milk run routes around the country (with no meal service on any of the flights and very short connections between flights), and arrive in the middle of the night. At this point, I figure unless everybody starts cancelling their vacations and large blocks of seats come available, fares will not be going down any time soon.

If I book the cruise + air now through the cruise line and find a good air deal later can I cancel the air portion of the booking without penalty? It's too early to be looking for air for March 2006.

My understanding is that there won't be a problem if you are letting the cruise line select your flights, but there would be a penalty if you booked it with the "custom air" option, where you picked your own flights.

• 2 weeks later...

If you do the custom air option and then cancel there are big penalties because, unlike with regular cruise air, they go ahead and book your seats. Cancelling the custom air would be as problematic or even more so as trying to cancel and get back money from non-refundable tickets from one of the legacy carriers.

Yes, but what if you take the cruise line insurance and book air with the cruise line? Do you get the cost of the insurance for the flight returned? Thanks.

You would NOT want cruiseline insurace if you purchase your own air. And cruiseline insurance will NOT cover any extras which are not booked with the cruiseline-pre, post hotel, independently booked shore excursions.

IMHO, cruiseline insurance is a rip. You can purchase trip insurance for the same price or less and pick and choose which options you want.

For an example, I am going to China, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand for a month in October. I definitely wanted medical and a LARGE amount of medical evacuation. I did not need trip interruption. My entire trip is booked a la carte and other than intra China air tickets, everything is cancellable with 48 hours notice. The most I could loose was a couple nights hotel or maybe a tour or two. About $250.00. Some of the policies were almost $400.00 more with trip interruption protection. I was able to purchase insurance, with $1,000,000 cap on medical and evacuation for $734.00 for two people. We are in our mid 50's and total trip cost was $19,843.00. I booked my insurance directly online with Insuremytrip.com. This will be the ninth insure my trip policy I have purchased and I have NEVER had a problem.

You

Thanks greatam, Our problem is our age. We are considerably older than you and when you have to figure in the age factor, insurance costs go through the roof. I checked out the site you mentioned on the web, and it was pricier than going with the cruise company, where there is no age factor. Thanks.

Thanks greatam, Our problem is our age. We are considerably older than you and when you have to figure in the age factor, insurance costs go through the roof. I checked out the site you mentioned on the web, and it was pricier than going with the cruise company, where there is no age factor. Thanks.

Blue whale,

Try using insuremytrip again and check out the Travelex LITE insurance.

It is what my MIL and FIL use for their trips and they are in their late 70's early 80's. They believe the policy is a good value. I know they are primarily interested in cancellation insurance and the medical aspect, as Medicare, even with good supplemental, does NOT cover outside of the US.

It doesn't pay as much for things like lost luggage and I think rental car insurance is extra. But your homeowner's will pick up the luggage and you may not need a rental car or your own auto insurance or credit card will cover a rental car.

And the really bad thing about the cruise insurance-it absolutely will NOT cover anything that is not booked through the cruise line. If you book your own air and miss the ship, your trip is NOT covered, until you get on the ship. And if you have to cancel your cruise, you will have to pay the change fee AND any higher cost airfare.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Archived