Emeral Princess out of Houston

wernew2cruising

We thought we were going to take an April cruise on RCI out of Galveston but found a great deal on Princess out of Houston in March.

We last sailed in 2010 (gasp) and am wondering how the formal nights are now. Are they still as formal or have things lightened up? Back when we were sailing the boards were full of people complaining their entire trip was ruined because someone came into dining room not wearing formal on formal nights. UGH, don't know what to do. :/

We thought we were going to take an April cruise on RCI out of Galveston but found a great deal on Princess out of Houston in March.

We last sailed in 2010 (gasp) and am wondering how the formal nights are now. Are they still as formal or have things lightened up? Back when we were sailing the boards were full of people complaining their entire trip was ruined because someone came into dining room not wearing formal on formal nights. UGH, don't know what to do. :/

We were on the Emerald Jan 18-25. It was definitely not nearly as formal as the Caribbean Princess we took in Dec. of 2013. But, that being said, most men had on at least a sport coat and tie or a dark suit. There were quite a few tuxes too. Most of the women were in cocktail dresses or dressy pants and a sparkly top. Very few long gowns. There were several couples who looked like they were straight off the farm and the women looked like they were going to church in very old fashioned dresses (think 1980's floral dresses with lace collars) and their husbands had on khaki pants and a polo shirt. This is what we saw at traditional late dining in Botticelli.

One casual night I did see a man try to get into the dining room in shorts, but one of his fellow passengers ratted him out to the Maitre'D and I saw the Maitre'D speak to him. He turned around and left, pushing through the crowd trying to get in, so I assume he was turned away. However, on another night one of the people at the table next to us came in shorts. Go figure. I just wish they would be consistent.

Edited by DebJ14

We were on the Emerald Jan 18-25. It was definitely not nearly as formal as the Caribbean Princess we took in Dec. of 2013. But, that being said, most men had on at least a sport coat and tie or a dark suit. There were quite a few tuxes too. Most of the women were in cocktail dresses or dressy pants and a sparkly top. Very few long gowns. There were several couples who looked like they were straight off the farm and the women looked like they were going to church in very old fashioned dresses (think 1980's with lace collars and their husbands had on khaki pants and a polo shirt. This is what we saw at traditional late dining in Botticelli.

One casual night I did see a man try to get into the dining room in shorts, but one of his fellow passengers ratted him out to the Maitre'D and I saw the Maitre'D speak to him. He turned around and left, pushing through the crowd trying to get in, so I assume he was turned away. However, on another night one of the people at the table next to us came in shorts. Go figure. I just wish they would be consistent.

On the other hand, on the casual nights when we ate in Crown Grille and Sabatini's, nearly everyone was quite dressed up. Only 1 or 2 men without a jacket in Crown Grill (didn't see any men without a jacket in Sabatini's, and most women were in cocktail dresses or maxi dresses. When you see Sabatini's you will see why they were dressed. Very much like a restaurant at a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. Definitely do try both of the specialty restaurants. Best food and service of the entire week and well worth the price.

Edited by DebJ14

Just off the Emerald yesterday, lots of people in formal wear on both formal nights.

There are lots of other options onboard. ;)

The boards will always be full of people complaining that there trip was ruined. There are heated threads locked all the time.

Why not do a search and see for yourself?

We've sailed out of Houston, and the formal nights aren't as formal and aren't as informal as some would have you believe.

Most men wore suits and ties. Did not see as many in tuxedo - but did see some. Our table was all suits/ties for the men. Didn't see but a couple of women in long formal gowns - Little Black Dresses were often seen, as well as pants/glitzy top combos.

If there were really casual people on our cruises we didn't see them in the Main Dining Rooms but did see them in the buffets.

Surveys done here on Cruise Critic show a slight shift from men in tuxedos to men in suits/ties. If you go with the latter, you can't go wrong.

Surveys done here on Cruise Critic show a slight shift from men in tuxedos to men in suits/ties. If you go with the latter, you can't go wrong.

tend to agree this is the shift, not only on Princess but on other similar lines as well. Some of the high end lines are country club casual the entire time. I will have a suit for formal and specialty. I had a tux but it shrank quite a bit over the past 15 years, at least that's my take on why it no longer fits.

I sailed out of Galveston when Princess was using that port and now out of Bayport (Houston). You will see everything on formal night in the MDR from tux (few), suits, sport coats and no coat all with or without a tie. Back when they had only assigned seating, one sailing we sat at a table for 8 where we had one male in a tux, one in a suit, one in a sport coat and one in shirt and pants. We had a great time talking and everyone got along well. Men can get in the MDR with anything from a long sleeved shirt and pants to a tux while women can wear about anything including flip flops.

tend to agree this is the shift, not only on Princess but on other similar lines as well. Some of the high end lines are country club casual the entire time. I will have a suit for formal and specialty. I had a tux but it shrank quite a bit over the past 15 years, at least that's my take on why it no longer fits.

:eek:All our formal clothes have the same problem! I blame it on the dry cleaner!;)

Hello,

Is the dress code the same in the anytime dining rooms? Do they all have formal nights?

Thank you,

Yes- same for Anytime Dining as it's also held in a MDR.

Norris

Hello,

Is the dress code the same in the anytime dining rooms? Do they all have formal nights?

Thank you,

Formal night applies to all three MDR which includes both ATD and TD. Enforcement is lax at best. You will see much more whining about not enforcing the rules on cc than you will on the ship. Most pax don't really care all that much what others wear as they are all there on vacation/holiday to have a good time.