Toll Roads

RocketMan275

Departing north Alabama by car on 6 March arriving Fort Lauderdale on 7 March for cruise departing 8 March. Will be staying at Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale at the cruise port. Will be entering Georgia via I-75. Google Maps indicates my route will switch from I-75 to the Florida Turnpike somewhere near The Villages.

OK, what's the best way to handle this toll road?

Cash? If cash, do I need change? How much?

Credit Card?

Sun Pass? Where do I get a Sun Pass and how does it work?

Much appreciation.

Our sunpass account was charged approximately 34.00 for our tolls. We got on the turnpike from (Wildwood) I-75 and exited in Orlando to spend the night. We then got back on the turnpike and drove to Fort Lauderdale to spend the night at the Embassy Suites . Then we returned via the turnpike to I-75.

We bought our mini pass at Publics.

Try this web address

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/index.cfm

Edited by Mr and Mrs CIQ

Our sunpass account was charged approximately 34.00 for our tolls. We got on the turnpike from (Wildwood) I-75 and exited in Orlando to spend the night. We then got back on the turnpike and drove to Fort Lauderdale to spend the night at the Embassy Suites . Then we returned via the turnpike to I-75.

We bought our mini pass at Publics.

Thanks.

Do all Publix sell those?

We're spending the night at Lake City which is prior to encountering the Turnpike. Just wondering if we can get one there? It appears there is a Publix a short distance from our hotel.

Thanks.

Do all Publix sell hose?

We're spending the night at Lake City which is prior to encountering the Turnpike. Just wondering if we can get one there? It appears there is a Publix a short distance from our hotel.

I75 welcome center sells them in vending machines. $4.99 for the sticker one you put on your window then attach your credit card to it. Yes Publix as well you can purchase them and many other retailers some offer option to just add cash to it when purchasing.

You could just pay cash at the tolls as you really are only going to end up saving around $4 with the sunpass.

From I75 start of turnpike if you go all the way down right into Ft Lauderdale and exit to the 595 the cost paying cash is $21 (each way). It's $4.05 (each way)cheaper using the sunpass but your spending $4.99 for the sunpass so you would only see those few dollars in savings on your return trip home.

Other option you can do is take the turnpike and get off at Port St Lucie to jump onto the I95. The cost that way is $12 (each way) -- 2 dollars and some change cheaper (each way) with sunpass but again your paying the $4.99 so no savings.

Edited by jb456

I75 welcome center sells them in vending machines. $4.99 for the sticker one you put on your window then attach your credit card to it. Yes Publix as well you can purchase them and many other retailers some offer option to just add cash to it when purchasing.

You could just pay cash at the tolls as you really are only going to end up saving around $4 with the sunpass.

From I75 start of turnpike if you go all the way down right into Ft Lauderdale and exit to the 595 the cost paying cash is $21 (each way). It's $4.05 (each way)cheaper using the sunpass but your spending $4.99 for the sunpass so you would only see those few dollars in savings on your return trip home.

Other option you can do is take the turnpike and get off at Port St Lucie to jump onto the I95. The cost that way is $12 (each way) -- 2 dollars and some change cheaper (each way) with sunpass but again your paying the $4.99 so no savings.

I've got four cruises booked out of Fort Lauderdale so the savings could really mount up.

Much appreciation. I imagine we'll stay on the turnpike just to keep it simple.

I've got four cruises booked out of Fort Lauderdale so the savings could really mount up.

Much appreciation. I imagine we'll stay on the turnpike just to keep it simple.

With 4 cruises yes get a sunpass. For more info on them, list of retailers, etc visit https://www.sunpass.com

Agreed my preference also is turnpike all the way.

I forgot to say, enjoy your trip. I really liked our drive to the port last Oct..

Why thank you.

We're looking forward to our drive too. We've always flown before but we're retired now. We both have spent far too many hours on airplanes and we just don't look forward to flying. Now, we can take our time and drive. As the wife said: "We're retired and we don't have any thing else to do." Plus it's a bunch cheaper to drive.

I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruises too. And you guys have answered my questions. I'll pick up the Sunpass when we hit Florida, either at the welcome center or in Lake City.

Edited by RocketMan275

you can order a SUNPASS online

https://www.sunpass.com/index

there are 2, one is $5 and one is $20

The $5 one is "one time use"; it attaches to the windshield by glue and the system behind it allows you to register it to one car one time. I had one, you can't CHANGE.

The $20 version attaches by suction cups, you can add and delete cars from the account and register more than 1 car to the device at a time. With one of these I've added and dropped several vehicles ... including rentals.

Son went to FSU while we lived near Canaveral, right on 95. We could drive FSU // home via the turnpike and 75 (with tolls) or go I-10 + I-95. After a few trips we never used the turnpike. It saved NO time, NO stress relief and IMO was MORE confusing. Son now lives in Mobile AL and we STILL do 10 + 95 .... (use 295 to go around JAX) (map software will show that the miles difference is under 15 miles)

Just my opinion but I drive this several times each year . . . while dd was at 'BAMA (after our FSU experience) we had the same drive up to the 75/10 interchange and STILL went 95 - 10. I tried turnpike again last year and asked WHY?

Edited by Capt_BJ

MY opinion as well, take I-10 east to I-295 around Jacksonville,

then I-95 to the cruise port.

That round trip route saves me enough cash now for a tank of gas.

Of course that's with tandem axle trailer.:D

One of the few advantages of this route over the turnpike is

in the event of a really bad accident, exits on I-95 are closer than the Turnpike.

MY opinion as well, take I-10 east to I-295 around Jacksonville,

then I-95 to the cruise port.

That round trip route saves me enough cash now for a tank of gas.

Of course that's with tandem axle trailer.:D

One of the few advantages of this route over the turnpike is

in the event of a really bad accident, exits on I-95 are closer than the Turnpike.

Adds over an hour of travel time.

absolutely NOT

distance difference is 12 miles

and you have just as much chance of a slow down around Gainesville as anyplace else

I've driven this dozens of times in the last 7 years, as have son (FSU) and daughter (BAMA)

we consistently make better time on 10 / 95

Edited by Capt_BJ

absolutely NOT

distance difference is 12 miles

and you have just as much chance of a slow down around Gainesville as anyplace else

I've driven this dozens of times in the last 7 years, as have son (FSU) and daughter (BAMA)

we consistently make better time on 10 / 95

According to google maps, the difference is 34 miles and 32 minutes travel time. That's from the intersection of I10 and I75 near lake city and the Embassy Suites.

That's probably a trivial difference. But the question remains about traffic. We're not necessarily fond of heavy traffic. Which route poses the fewer challenges?

Its all personal preference, but there is way to much traffic on I-95 in south Fl..We have driven both routes and prefer the turnpike.

Thank you for providing the information I was looking for. Avoiding high traffic is worth a few bucks. It's a trivial amount compared to the cruise fare.

According to google maps, the difference is 34 miles and 32 minutes travel time. That's from the intersection of I10 and I75 near lake city and the Embassy Suites.

That's probably a trivial difference. But the question remains about traffic. We're not necessarily fond of heavy traffic. Which route poses the fewer challenges?

Few challenges is turnpike although others will say otherwise as each has their own opinion :)

If you take the I10, 295 then I95 the I95 is pretty much fine until you hit West Palm. Here it opens up into 5 or 6 lanes, then goes back down to 2 for awhile then more and more lanes open as you continue South.

If you are nearing West Palm in rush hour times then you can hit clumps of traffic all the way down through Lake Worth, Boyton, Boca, Deerfield, Pompano then especially the start of Lauderdale.

Starting around Pompano I95 can get a bit intense, between cars pulling other cars with simply a chain, rust buckets that should not even be allowed on a road with their doors held with tape, 5 or so lanes of cars weaving in and out , crossing 4 lanes at once, every car up each other's a$$, everyone texting/calling on cell and likely 1 out 5 cars you see will be a girl driving 80mph doing her makeup in the rearview mirror lol, then possible construction, traffic, etc, etc.

Turnpike you have 2 lanes, it's peaceful, don't have to worry about paying attention to 5 other lanes of crazies, or rust buckets blowing a tire, etc, etc.

Some will say "the turnpike exits are further and less, and if there is an accident you can be stuck forever". Which is true, but same goes for I95 and in my opinion more chances of accidents on 95. We avoided one in Sept where 95 was closed for 6 hours and traffic for miles.

We are in Florida 4+ months a year and use the 95 4, 5 times a day, everyday, between Boca and FLL and there has been plenty of times that it has been a disaster.

Up to you which way you want to take but my opinion is turnpike.

Edited by jb456

Few challenges is turnpike although others will say otherwise as each has their own opinion :)

Starting around Pompano I95 can get a bit intense, between cars pulling other cars with simply a chain, rust buckets that should not even be allowed on a road with their doors held with tape, 5 or so lanes of cars weaving in and out , crossing 4 lanes at once, every car up each other's a$$, everyone texting/calling on cell and likely 1 out 5 cars you see will be a girl driving 80mph doing her makeup in the rearview mirror lol, then possible construction, traffic, etc, etc.

Maybe we should just skip the cruise and watch the traffic on I 95. Might be more entertaining.

Maybe we should just skip the cruise and watch the traffic on I 95. Might be more entertaining.

lol

Might see a bike popping a wheelie, but they usually only come out late at night / early morning. Seen them a few times, flying down the highway standing on their racebike at 100+mph. There insane lol!

Check out this link. Happened in January, daytime, bunch of dirt bikes and atvs on 95

http://www.local10.com/news/motorcycle-atv-riders-causing-havoc-on-miami-streets/30802506

Edited by jb456

lol

Might see a bike popping a wheelie, but they usually only come out late at night / early morning. Seen them a few times, flying down the highway standing on their racebike at 100+mph. There insane lol!

Check out this link. Happened in January, daytime, bunch of dirt bikes and atvs on 95

http://www.local10.com/news/motorcycle-atv-riders-causing-havoc-on-miami-streets/30802506

Fools.

You may want to consider just staying on I-75 all the way to Naples where I-75 turns east on Alligator Alley (still I-75), which will be your only toll road. It is a $3 in each direction, and, getting on I-595 where it breaks away from I-75, will take you right to your hotel or cruise port

I would imagine that it is a little further, but, if time is not of the essence, it is a more relaxing drive

I am somewhat biased, living in the Tampa Bay Area, but, when we lived in Atlanta, this is always the way we went except for one try on the Florida Turnpike

I think that you will also find that gas on the Gulf Coast, up to Ft Myers, is cheaper than the Atlantic Coast

You may want to consider just staying on I-75 all the way to Naples where I-75 turns east on Alligator Alley (still I-75), which will be your only toll road. It is a $3 in each direction, and, getting on I-595 where it breaks away from I-75, will take you right to your hotel or cruise port

I would imagine that it is a little further, but, if time is not of the essence, it is a more relaxing drive

I am somewhat biased, living in the Tampa Bay Area, but, when we lived in Atlanta, this is always the way we went except for one try on the Florida Turnpike

I think that you will also find that gas on the Gulf Coast, up to Ft Myers, is cheaper than the Atlantic Coast

Greetings

Unless you want to spend time before the cruise on the Gulf Coast why detour so far west? To save $0.10/gallon on gas???

I am from Alabama (Roll Tide) and my dad still lives there. I make the trip to Bama from South Florida pretty often. If you are sailing from Lauderdale take the turnpike to I-595. If you're sailing out of Canaveral then take the I-10 route to I-295 through J-ville.

Good Sailing

Tom

If you take the I10, 295 then I95 the I95 is pretty much fine until you hit West Palm. Here it opens up into 5 or 6 lanes, then goes back down to 2 for awhile then more and more lanes open as you continue South.

Up to you which way you want to take but my opinion is turnpike.

There is no stretch in Palm Beach County where I-95 is only two lanes. They just widened it to 4-lanes (8 total) between Indiantown Road and PGA Blvd. From there it is 5 or 6 lanes all the way to Congress where it narrows back to 4 lanes. Through Broward it is 4 lanes all the way to I-595.

Good Sailing

Tom

Edited by tunaman2011

That's a helpful suggestion. About an hour longer but time isn't that important. Thanks.

There is no stretch in Palm Beach County where I-95 is only two lanes. They just widened it to 4-lanes (8 total) between Indiantown Road and PGA Blvd. From there it is 5 or 6 lanes all the way to Congress where it narrows back to 4 lanes. Through Broward it is 4 lanes all the way to I-595.

Good Sailing

Tom

Sorry was a typo thanks for the correction. Meant what you said 4 :) bunch of lanes open up by West Palm, then back down to 4, then in Broward between Copans RD and Martin Luther King it's 5 lanes, drops back down to 4 then goes back to 5 lanes by Pompano Park. then 4 by cypress creek. Some places with exit lanes bring it up to 6 for a few moments.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick thank you note to everyone who contributed to this thread. Our trip was great. We picked up a sunpass transponder at the welcome center just after we crossed into Florida. The center was closed but they had plenty of vending machines. Slightly over $5. Only problem was I didn't notice the hours of operation to activate the system but that was not really a problems since we we're spending the night in Lake City. Activation the next morning was very easy. System worked well and made the toll road very smooth.

BTW, wife says the toll road is the way to go. Didn't like the parts of I95 we did have to drive on.