Cruise Critic Katrina Refugees - Let Us Help!

Fern Crest

One of our members has posted that she's got a cruise coming, and all they have to go with are the clothes they managed to evacuate with.

I think that this is where we, as Cruise Critic board members can shine!

If you're a refugee of Katrina, and we can help you in ANY way, whether or not you have a cruise, *PLEASE* let us know!

We have many members in areas who are near to you and aren't affected, and they have said that they would be happy to accept donations of clothing, health and beauty aids or cruise supplies. (If you are one of these people, THANK YOU and God bless you.)

We've all donated to charitable organizations, but we'd be thrilled to help on a more personal level. Even if all you need is to know that people are praying for you, well, here we are for that, too.

Don't be shy.

We're here for you.

>Moderators: If this is against the rules, I apologize. I didn't see anything regarding this in the rules. Also, I think this is a bit more constructive than the displays of short tempers and stress we've seen lately. We all know our members would rather help than anything, why else would they be here? :) <

Let me know where I may send things to? I am so sorry to everyone that has been effected! :(

If this were against the rules here (I am new) then I simply will sign off now, and anyone whom might say yes it is against the boards rules, I think should have the compation oh bending them a bit (the rules). I commend you and hope there is a way I may help as well.

Let me know where I may send things to? I am so sorry to everyone that has been effected! :(

If this were against the rules here (I am new) then I simply will sign off now, and anyone whom might say yes it is against the boards rules, I think should have the compation oh bending them a bit (the rules). I commend you and hope there is a way I may help as well.

I'm IN! I have a lot of clothes (about 5 bags) that just don't fit me anymore and I would love to send them down. I leave tomorrow for my cruise, and if nobody's posted by the time I come back I would love to take control when I get back and work with the Red Cross.

I'm IN! I have a lot of clothes (about 5 bags) that just don't fit me anymore and I would love to send them down. I leave tomorrow for my cruise, and if nobody's posted by the time I come back I would love to take control and help with the donations.

I'm IN! I have a lot of clothes (about 5 bags) that just don't fit me anymore and I would love to send them down. I leave tomorrow for my cruise, and if nobody's posted by the time I come back I would love to take control and help with the donations.

I live in south Louisiana. Thank you all for your concerns (yes, I am fine).

I, too, want to help. All I'm hearing about is send money to your Red Cross labeled "Katrina" in the memo section. They are only asking us to bring blankets, pillows, air mattresses and regular mattresses. And even then, they are only wanting that delivered to a site other than the actual shelter itself. They just don't have the manpower to sort through the clothes and household items that many would donate. And, yes, these people will need that evidentually.

here is a link to our local news (where alot of shelters are set up) just for your information.

http://www.klfy.com

http://www.katc.com

We all want to help. But please continue to keep these people in your prayers. Lots and lots are homeless now. Lots of these people were homeless before. It's just tragic to see all the chaos that is developing.

One of our members has posted that she's got a cruise coming, and all they have to go with are the clothes they managed to evacuate with.

I think that this is where we, as Cruise Critic board members can shine!

If you're a refugee of Katrina, and we can help you in ANY way, whether or not you have a cruise, *PLEASE* let us know!

If these or any other members affected are still going on their cruise, maybe we as cruise critic members could arrange donations in the form of onboard credits. All we need is the ship name and room #'s of the cruisers.

I'm the one who posted about the upcoming cruise. Thank you for your kind thoughts. MOST importantly, my parents got out of New Orleans today and are here with us - I feel SO blessed and fortunate. I also bought a swimsuit for $1.50 at Old Navy today - woohoo! Just need to get some other clothing and things for my children. I have never in my life asked for help from anyone for any reason, but I am not ashamed to do so at this point. If anyone has anything they can send for a 4 year old girl of 6 year old boy, or has drink tickets they don't need lol, please email me at Rowan555@aol.com - while I don't even WANT to go on the cruise right now, I found out for sure today that it will be over a month before we can return home. And when we do return home we have damages to repair and other things to deal with. I appreciate your kind thoughts. New Orleans has always been my home, and I am devastated beyond my own comprehension right now.

I'm the one who posted about the upcoming cruise. Thank you for your kind thoughts. MOST importantly, my parents got out of New Orleans today and are here with us - I feel SO blessed and fortunate. I also bought a swimsuit for $1.50 at Old Navy today - woohoo! Just need to get some other clothing and things for my children. I have never in my life asked for help from anyone for any reason, but I am not ashamed to do so at this point. If anyone has anything they can send for a 4 year old girl of 6 year old boy, or has drink tickets they don't need lol, please email me at Rowan555@aol.com - while I don't even WANT to go on the cruise right now, I found out for sure today that it will be over a month before we can return home. And when we do return home we have damages to repair and other things to deal with. I appreciate your kind thoughts. New Orleans has always been my home, and I am devastated beyond my own comprehension right now.

Susan! I didn't want to ask, because I didn't want to upset you, but THANK THE LORD your parents got out! I know that was weighing on you!!!!!!!

Maybe you could post your address here like you did in the other thread? If you do post your name and address like the other, and your sailing info (Sensation 9/10 right?), people could help contribute to the cause by calling Carnival with that info.

Thank goodness your parents are all right! Oh, how worried you must have been!

What are the sizes of your children, and of you and your husband? Come on, don't be shy, you're among friends. :D Is your daughter a girly girl, or does she hate pink? Is your son into any sports heros or cartoons? Oh, and shoe sizes are good, too. Lord knows enough of us are shoe lovers and can spare something "fitting" for each of you!

Thank goodness your parents are all right! Oh, how worried you must have been!

What are the sizes of your children, and of you and your husband? Come on, don't be shy, you're among friends. :D Is your daughter a girly girl, or does she hate pink? Is your son into any sports heros or cartoons? Oh, and shoe sizes are good, too. Lord knows enough of us are shoe lovers and can spare something "fitting" for each of you!

Fern, Susan posted all of their sizes and mailing address on the other thread (the update on the Port thread)...

I don't even have my stateroom number, lol - the docs are at home! My booking number is 2D05L6 and I THINK we're in U 196, but I could be wrong on the room number. I will call Carnival in the morning to make sure they can process me at the port with my funpass which I can print here. I posted my information on another thread, but I will do it here too.

I wear a size 4 or 6 (I'm 5'7" tall) pants and shorts and a medium shirt. My husband wears a large shirt and 36 pants. My daughter loves dresses and cutesy things and wears a 6 clothing and a 12 in shoes. My son loves anything and wears an 8 to 10 boys in clothing and a 12 or 13 in shoes. My address is below. I am going to borrow a suitcase from my husband's parents, as we just tossed things in bags to get out of New Orleans as fast as we could.

Thank you all again - you have me crying all over again here!

Susan Gilleland

7315 Montclair

Shreveport, LA 71105

this may sound like a shameless plug, but as the chief officer of the Pennsylvania chapter of Rampart search and Rescue i would like to ask all of you to support my brothers, who are currently deployed in search and rescue operations you can support our guys.

Rampart Search and Rescue has two teams currently in Louisiana.

Please us help them.

We need donations for our teams so they can help the displaced families on the gulf coast.

Please do what ever you can, a little goes a long way to:

Rampart Search and Rescue

P.O. Box 33336

Northglenn, Colo 80233-0336

Rampart Search and Rescue is not a government agency and all Rampart search and rescue assistance is free thanks to the generosity of people like you. The value of your donation is increased by the fact that the ratio of volunteer members to paid staff is almost 36 to one.

Contributions to Rampart Search and Rescue, a tax-exempt organization under Section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, are deductible for computing income and estate taxes.

you can visit us online at

http://www.rampart-sar.com

or

http://www.rampartpa-sar.com

thanks

Michael white

Rampart pa 7051

I don't even have my stateroom number, lol - the docs are at home! My booking number is 2D05L6 and I THINK we're in U 196, but I could be wrong on the room number. I will call Carnival in the morning to make sure they can process me at the port with my funpass which I can print here. I posted my information on another thread, but I will do it here too.

I wear a size 4 or 6 (I'm 5'7" tall) pants and shorts and a medium shirt. My husband wears a large shirt and 36 pants. My daughter loves dresses and cutesy things and wears a 6 clothing and a 12 in shoes. My son loves anything and wears an 8 to 10 boys in clothing and a 12 or 13 in shoes. My address is below. I am going to borrow a suitcase from my husband's parents, as we just tossed things in bags to get out of New Orleans as fast as we could.

Thank you all again - you have me crying all over again here!

Susan Gilleland

7315 Montclair

Shreveport, LA 71105

Hi Susan - Glad you and your family are ok. I am sending out a box priority mail tomorrow with some misc items and 2 New Shirts for you. Also since you dont have your booking/cabin info yet I tossed in a $20 so you and your hubby can have a few much needed drinks. Please keep us posted on how your guys are doing. And enjoy your cruise ..... Barbara

I sent you an e-mail, Susan, there's also a night light and a bag you can use as a purse/carry on in the package; it's roomy and has a cosmetic bag, cell phone holder, mini-purse all inside. Friend at USPS said it should ship to you just fine, the suitcase is braced with cardboard and wrapped in brown paper. Hope you have scissors, it's rather well-secured with clear packing tape!

Have a wonderful cruise!

I know the Red Cross does not want clothing donations but a person to person donation is different. I am going to go through my formals today (yes I have several, some with tags on them. I love Syms) and see what I can post for people who are going on a cruise. Sort of like freecycle for cruisers.

I read several post now saying that they aren't accepting clothes. If this true? I don't have any small boys stuff, but I can come up with other stuff. I won't send drink coupons because regular drinks on board are free. Who do we contact to see what's needed?

Archived