Cruise Critic Katrina Refugees - Let Us Help!

Fern Crest

Just letting you know ... USPS, FedEx and UPS all ship suitcases, no problem. Just cable tie them closed, use clear packing tape to wrap around and secure the shipping label on the front! They actually like shipping these, since they have handles to grab. Hee hee.

Susan, the carry-on went out Priority this afternoon. You should have it by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I just want to thank everyone for their kindness during this time. We truly appreciate it. When we return home and hopefully get back on our feet, I will donate these items to people who are in worse shape than ourselves so that they can also benefit from your generosity. I have friends who have definitely lost their entire homes and did NOT have flood insurance. I have no way of contacting them, but I know I will have some wonderful items to share with them.

Though I do understand that there really isn't any room for donated items . . . I feel so bad that clothes and toys for kids aren't welcome (not that I have either . . . but I sure would love to go on a shopping spree . . . untill then, I'll just send money). I know that the only thing charities now want is money to feed and shelter everyone. But there are so many people out there that just don't have any money but so what to help. I'm sure once all these displaced people are no longer in shelters . . . things like clothes and toys and all the other things some can provide will be acceptable.

LadyC, I think you are right... once things get settled a little, they really will need these things. Also, there are many local drives around here that ARE collecting these things to take to the affected areas (they WILL take things from large organizations that have things preapproved apparently), so try to find one of these. We had a large one this morning, but it was for batteries, formula, diapers, water, etc... but there was another that was collecting new clothes, but made it clear that it would not be delivered for at least a month... so check around, I'm sure someone will take those items!!!

LadyC, I think you are right... once things get settled a little, they really will need these things. Also, there are many local drives around here that ARE collecting these things to take to the affected areas (they WILL take things from large organizations that have things preapproved apparently), so try to find one of these. We had a large one this morning, but it was for batteries, formula, diapers, water, etc... but there was another that was collecting new clothes, but made it clear that it would not be delivered for at least a month... so check around, I'm sure someone will take those items!!!

CG, I saw on the news tonight that those that had "things" to donate should have a yard sale and give the proceeds to the Red Cross and/or the Salvation Army. Might be a good idea for those that don't have the money to give but want to help.

We just got back from the Ecstasy 8/27. The Sensation docked at the same time with us in Cozumel. We felt so bad for the people on the ship as they had to go to Galveston instead of going back to N.O. No home to go back to, but alive and well!

It has not been good having to block out the bad news and feeling guilty about it during the trip for us.

Houston is absorbing thousand of refugees from N.O. I am so proud of our city. It has been hard for people to see the slow speed of federal assistance to N.O, but we do not know all the details and we do get flooded every minutes with media sensationalism. Things are bad, yet we do need to keep a positive outlook and get together to help our fellow Americans. We can always learn from our mistakes instead of finger pointing. If each of us takes the initiative to do one little thing to help the victims of Katrina, it would make a sea of little things.

God bless.

this may sound like a shameless plug, but as the chief officer of the Pennsylvania chapter of Rampart search and Rescue i would like to ask all of you to support my brothers, who are currently deployed in search and rescue operations you can support our guys.

Rampart Search and Rescue has two teams currently in Louisiana.

Please us help them.

We need donations for our teams so they can help the displaced families on the gulf coast.

Please do what ever you can, a little goes a long way to:

Rampart Search and Rescue

P.O. Box 33336

Northglenn, Colo 80233-0336

Rampart Search and Rescue is not a government agency and all Rampart search and rescue assistance is free thanks to the generosity of people like you. The value of your donation is increased by the fact that the ratio of volunteer members to paid staff is almost 36 to one.

Contributions to Rampart Search and Rescue, a tax-exempt organization under Section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, are deductible for computing income and estate taxes.

you can visit us online at

http://www.rampart-sar.com

or

http://www.rampartpa-sar.com

thanks

Michael white

Rampart pa 7051

I saw a report on the search and rescue team from your area..

They are doing a great job..

Money coming your way....

CG, I saw on the news tonight that those that had "things" to donate should have a yard sale and give the proceeds to the Red Cross and/or the Salvation Army. Might be a good idea for those that don't have the money to give but want to help.

Wow that message must have gotten out pretty quick because my local paper has few yard sales listed that all their sales are going to the Red Cross, what a great idea.

Wow that message must have gotten out pretty quick because my local paper has few yard sales listed that all their sales are going to the Red Cross, what a great idea.

Ebay has also set up their web page so you can auction off items and all the proceeds to go the Red Cross..

Ebay has also set up their web page so you can auction off items and all the proceeds to go the Red Cross..

Another great idea. I hope people are patient with the Red Cross, I tried to give money tonight, could not get through with the web or on the phone. Please everyone just keep on trying, it's a great sign that it is so hard to get through!

[quote name='Rowan555']I'm the one who posted about the upcoming cruise. Thank you for your kind thoughts. MOST importantly, my parents got out of New Orleans today and are here with us - I feel SO blessed and fortunate. I also bought a swimsuit for $1.50 at Old Navy today - woohoo! Just need to get some other clothing and things for my children. I have never in my life asked for help from anyone for any reason, but I am not ashamed to do so at this point. If anyone has anything they can send for a 4 year old girl of 6 year old boy, or has drink tickets they don't need lol, please email me at [email="Rowan555@aol.com"]Rowan555@aol.com[/email] - while I don't even WANT to go on the cruise right now, I found out for sure today that it will be over a month before we can return home. And when we do return home we have damages to repair and other things to deal with. I appreciate your kind thoughts. New Orleans has always been my home, and I am devastated beyond my own comprehension right now.[/QUOTE]

Rowan,
I had thought about flaming you really bad on this before I read all your posts about this issue. I thought how in the world could you even be thinking about cruising when every possession in your life could be gone. You seemed more worried about the crusie than more important things.
I am sorry for even thinking it.:o
Obviously you can't get a "credit" for what you have already spend for this trip. I can't even begin to imagine what you have been through, as most of us can't, or what even lies ahead for you and your family. Why not escape for a few day's and maybe get a plan going. If not at least to get your mind off what you and your family have been through.
God Bless.

Archived