Alaska Excursions

debnjoe1438

Hello, going on an Alaska Cruise tour in June. Wondering if I should purchase excursions on line before I leave or wait until I'm on the ship. (Sun Northbound)

My question to those who have gone to Alaska. Is it safe to wait until I get on the ship to purchase excursion tickets? At the moment I don't have anything I must do. However I have a small concern all may be sold out prior to sailing.

Have you tried visiting the Alaska board here on cruise critic?

You might be a better response. There's a chance any excursion can sell out due to limited capacity.

I booked all of my excursions independently.

The cruise sponsored excursions are pricey and many times you're on the same excursions with those who booked independently. It's a personal preference.

Frankly, most people are better off, IF they want to take tours, to book them in advance. Some tours are limited and with more research you will find some vendors are popular and sell out way in advance (if open to booking independent).

if it doesn't matter to you, then certainly, you can wait until on board.

Have you tried visiting the Alaska board here on cruise critic?

You might be a better response. There's a chance any excursion can sell out due to limited capacity.

I booked all of my excursions independently.

The cruise sponsored excursions are pricey and many times you're on the same excursions with those who booked independently. It's a personal preference.

I agree. Don't do the ship ones. Book on your own. Get the private ones from the locals.

In addition to the Alaska board here on CC you can also check out www.cruiseportinsider.com This site lists not only the cruise line excursions, but ideas for DIY and independent tour operators.

Either way you will have to pay up front. In the past, NCL has held back capacity on excursions for people who wait until they get onboard.

Edited by bonvoyagie

I booked the Taku Lodge Seaplane flight with salmon lunch in Juneau and it was amazing. It sold out in advance...overbooked actually.

The sled dog training camp in Skagway was also top notch...small groups. Again, pretty full and limited space so glad we booked in advance.