Dining room vs Lido deck food

the nurse

The buffet is a sampling of what's in the MDR.

On the hot line there is usually Fish, poultry, starch, something carved and soup.

The Lido Chef has some input in what is served.

Since we usually do ATD we will check out the buffet to decide where to eat.

Some of the food is the same and some is different, in my experience.

We used to only eat dinner in the main dining room.

Then after being given an unfortunate table assignment we discovered that eating dinner in the buffet can be relaxing.

In my experience, if we arrived at the buffet while they we putting out the dinner selections, the food was good and hot and there were few people there.

I haven't found a consistency to answer with certainty. On two cruises on the Pride (which I enjoyed greatly), I tried the Lido buffet for dinner once. It was terrible (and I'm not picky), with limited stations open. I didn't think it mirrored the dining room menu at all.

On a cruise on Freedom, I found the dinner buffet quite good, having several items from the dining room menu. Ended up eating dinner there five of the six nights.

You won't necessarily find the cold soup and appetizer choices.

I agree with your thinking; sometimes the dining room takes too long and there are others things I'd rather be doing.

One advantage of eating at the Lido is portion control.

I've had the same roast beef and mashed potatoes as offered in the dining room. But since I like their mashed potatoes, I can get as much as like. Usually the main entree (e.g. Roast Beef) is cut & served by staff, but again I can ask for a second piece as I desire.

Heck I'll make a whole meal of just roast beef and mashed potatoes. Don't need no stinkin salad or rolls....

One advantage of eating at the Lido is portion control.

I've had the same roast beef and mashed potatoes as offered in the dining room. But since I like their mashed potatoes, I can get as much as like. Usually the main entree (e.g. Roast Beef) is cut & served by staff, but again I can ask for a second piece as I desire.

Heck I'll make a whole meal of just roast beef and mashed potatoes. Don't need no stinkin salad or rolls....

You can order as many entrees in the MDR as you like. Just sayin'

There are just a few of the things on the MDR menu, that will be in the lido buffet, but there was always enough choice for me to find something that I like. I am however fairly easy to please with regard to food. Salad bar, bread, cheese, and a slice or two of meat, and I am good to go.

Last cruise in November was actually the first time ever that I ate dinner there more than once during the cruise, in fact did so three times, and liked most of what I ate there. I had a fantastic wait team in YTD/MDR, they were so sweet and attentive, but the menu has gotten old for me, and I am one who is looking forward to the "American Table" menu hopefully going fleetwide soon.

I thought that for a buffet it was quite alright. I also thought that the desserts at the buffet had improved very much over my cruise four years ago.

You can order as many entrees in the MDR as you like. Just sayin'

yeah but when you order the entree you get the whole plate not just want you want.

those grilled shrimp that come with the lobster are the best i have had and wanted more of just those-- sorry had to take the lobster too

We mostly always eat dinner in the MDR. There are normally 8-10 of us traveling together and it is nice to have dinner together. The only time we eat at the Lido buffet is when we have a late port time and don't want to be back on the ship for the early dinner seating. When we cruise in April we will be in Aruba until 10 PM so we know that is one night we will eat in the Lido. That just means one less dinner outfit for us to pack :). On these nights since we have not gotten "dressed up" for dinner we like to take advantage of the hot tubs after dinner.

I ended up on a solo cruise last April and didn't want to go to MDR alone :( So, I ate the buffet every night. I like a good salad bar and I'm addicted to their potato salad. My daughter will be w me this yr and has cruised 2 other times. She much prefers the buffet because she can see the food. She doesn't always care for the MDR menu offerings. Its to each his own.

Edited by LSUcajunmom

We eat in the MDR if the menu is something we all want but it's about 50% of the time and the other half of the time we do the buffet...just depends on how we are feeling and what's on the MENU....( I had a Lion King moment cuz I just sang WHAT'S ON THE MENU) ROFL:D

I ended up on a solo cruise last April and didn't want to go to MDR alone :( So, I ate the buffet every night. I like a good salad bar and I'm addicted to their potato salad. My daughter will be w me this yr and has cruised 2 other times. She much prefers the buffet because she can see the food. She doesn't always care for the MDR menu offerings. Its to each his own.

I also can always content myself with the salad bar at lido buffet, along with some extras from the buffet, but I do love their potato salad. I cruise solo now mostly, and I now prefer to take Your time dining, and request a table to myself. The tables are close together with others, and often people next to you engage in conversation, and sometimes not. Im ok either way, but when I am solo, I prefer that table to myself, because I can come and eat, and leave when I am ready. I have done the fixed time dining and had successes and failures with table mates, so now I just prefer YTD. Last november I ate dinner at lido three times out of 8 evenings, and enjoyed my food each time. I agree that it is always to each their own

Edited by SMSACE6

I drive my wife crazy. I'm impatient and won't wait for late tablemates. I don't need idle banter either. I think the MDR is highly over rated and it's the buffet 6 out of 7 nights. I will dress up and go to the MDR on one Formal Night and get a table for 2, unless I have to wait more than 15 minutes. None of it's gourmet anyways.

Thanks for your responses. I love the dining room experience, but sometimes it takes so long. We'll have to try the buffet, at least once, on our next cruise.

The dining room does take too long most of the time, so we usually eat at the buffet except on formal nights the dining room is where we go. No right or wrong answer, just your preference to have your meals where you want to. We usually like food at either place.

Edited by islandatsea

I drive my wife crazy. I'm impatient and won't wait for late tablemates. I don't need idle banter either. I think the MDR is highly over rated and it's the buffet 6 out of 7 nights. I will dress up and go to the MDR on one Formal Night and get a table for 2, unless I have to wait more than 15 minutes. None of it's gourmet anyways.

I agree with you. I will not wait for tablemates anytime! There is nothing great about the MDR IMO. I go on Embarkation Day and on Formal night. On other days it's the buffet.

I love the fresh fruit on the buffet. Every morning I had 2 fried eggs, bacon and fresh fruit. There was a melon, which tasted like honeydew, but had a yellow skin. It was delicious, but I have not idea what it was called.

Could be a Hami melon. Light green flesh. Tastes like a good, mellow honeydew. It's football shaped. We get it at a local market chain, Superking, that caters to Latin and Middle Eastern shoppers.

Edited by SadieN

We eat in the MDR if the menu is something we all want but it's about 50% of the time and the other half of the time we do the buffet...just depends on how we are feeling and what's on the MENU....( I had a Lion King moment cuz I just sang WHAT'S ON THE MENU) ROFL:D

From The Lion King 1 and a half:

Timon: [singing along to opening of "The Lion King"] What's on the menu? It could be ceviche. It's stinky. Ooh it's Pumbaa.

One of my favorite movies!

I've been on several Carnival cruises and always had dinner in the main dining room. We've never had dinner on the Lido deck.

So I'm curious.....is the same food served on Lido deck and the dining room at dinnertime?

Thanks!

Although I've never skipped a dinner in the MDR other than eating in the steakhouse, I have taken a look in the lido, and wasn't impressed. But always on a full stomach.

On a cruise, we prefer dining over eating.