Bar service in MDR

GalFitness19

Has anyone else had trouble getting the attention of the bar staff in the MDR in recent years? The last two times I've cruised with Carnival, it was virtually impossible to get a glass of wine. And *gasp* lord help me if I could be so lucky as to get someone to come by to offer another. Could it be because I choose Anytime Dining?

Just got off of the conquest and it was horrible service in the MDR for everything! Went there once for breakfast and was served French toast and DH got waffles, with no syrup! Finally after asking two people got syrup. Never got oj or coffee refills as we were never ask.

I always bring a full glass (or 2) of wine from another bar so I don't have to worry about the oftentimes slow/nonexistent bar service in the MDR... However, the guy selling the specialty shots of the night seems to always makes around.

Has anyone else had trouble getting the attention of the bar staff in the MDR in recent years? The last two times I've cruised with Carnival, it was virtually impossible to get a glass of wine. And *gasp* lord help me if I could be so lucky as to get someone to come by to offer another. Could it be because I choose Anytime Dining?

Actually I have had the opposite experience. Back in 2007 on the Valor, I had the one and only horrible experience with bar service in the MDR. He ignored our table, and doted on others around us, and when we called him over, he took our order but either did not bring our drinks, or brought them mixed up, or wrong, and when we said that we did not order that, he got rude. By the third evening at dinner, I picked up my glass of wine at the nearest bar outside the dining room, and when he saw me with a glass of wine, he said "why you not order from me" I told him as nicely as I possibly could, and I never ever abuse wait staff no matter how bad they are, because I have been in their shoes, but he just got ruder, and after that hounded us at our table every night, even though we got our drinks elsewhere.

In 2009, it was marginally better, but not great. Again, we ordered our wine and usually got it half way through the main course, sometimes not until dessert.

In 2010, I had the most amazing and gracious bar waitress in the dining room, and she could not do enough for me. (Extra tip for her:).

This past November, I had YTD on the Freedom, and had the most amazing wait staff, and the head waiter asked me asap if I needed bar service. Yes, I said and she was right there. My wine arrived before my appetizer, and when I finished it, she was always there to ask if I needed another. (Extra tip for them all too:)

So for me, it has gotten better over the years, but I do also hear the opposite many times.

My best two times with bar service in the MDR has been when I had YTD. In November on the Freedom, I got the same table wait staff each evening, and on the table was a little placard, stating head waiters name, assistant, and next assistant, as well as bar service staff. Four names. So it may have to do with how well your table head waiter interacts with his assistants. Dont know for sure. I only cruise every three to four years, so am always trying to figure these things out.

Edited by SMSACE6

I typically drink wine with dinner and have the wine package. They are usually quick to bring the bottle out and put it on the table. And I can refill myself. I do remember on our 2013 Dream cruise wanting a martini one night and could never find anyone. After that I would just go to a bar before dinner and get it myself. Had the same problem on Disney too.

We had great and fast food service on the Elation in December but we did notice that drinks took quite a long time to come. I don't think it was the servers fault. She would take orders and then maybe had to make them herself or wait for someone at the bar to finally get them ready. I like the idea someone had of bringing in a drink so you already have one, then go ahead and order one when you sit down. That should hold you over.

On the last 2 cruises I took I had the Cheers program. I made sure I tipped well in the dining room and had no problem getting great service! In fact, by the second day, they were just about standing there when I sat down!

That was my experience last month on the Breeze as well.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be on the Freedom in a couple of weeks & have read rave reviews about their staff. That said, I'll show up with a full glass from the bar. Double-fisted, too, if they let me [emoji3]

Are you doing Your time dining on this cruise too? If so, and you ever get my waiter, Pituck and his assistants Antonio, Ivana, and Diana, I bet you will not have an issue getting a bar drink in a timely manner. I am sure there must be others, but this was an amazing wait staff team.

Have a great cruise. I love the Freedom:)

Putting on my business hat, why wouldn't carnival make bar service a priority? The more people drink, the more they drink. I don't want to be hovered over or offered shots, but the minute cruiser drains a beer, drink or wine, someone should be right on them. REVENUE! :confused:

I had horrible trouble on the Victory with the drink server in the MDR - and I do tip well. It was just a lack of servers. One person at the table was feeling sick and asked for ginger ale repeatedly. The assistant waiter eventually went and got some after she waited over 20 minutes.

I just learned to bring a drink in from a nearby bar.

Previously I have not had a problem.

We walked in to the dining room with a drink. Each night we ordered one drink from the bar waiter and that's all we could get. One of the evenings, he charged us for an entire bottle of wine, and instead should have been charged for the glass. Fortunately, we looked at our bill before disembarking and questioned it. It was taken off because there was no signature for it. Thank goodness!

Recent experience with Your Time on Breeze, Miracle and Freedom. Cheers Program on all.

We almost always enter with a glass of wine, and will want another; choice depending on the entree we choose.

We ask for the wine menu as we are seated, and after deciding on dinner, if it is a wine that is listed on the table tent card we just order it with the waiter. If it is from the full wine list (or a bottle, but not while on Cheers) the waiter may take the order or will have Bar Service there in a matter of moments.

We have NO complaints.

gary