SZ Guarantee Worth the risk?

bjarrett7

Hello again... We booked our 2nd HAL cruise on the Westerdam to Alaska in August. We got a GREAT deal on an SZ guarantee. Does anyone have any experience with this choice? Today, they are offering your choice of an SS but it is $200 per person more... But still a good price. Any advice? I am still learning the ropes and would appreciate hearing about your experience! 😎

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't do it...pay the extra to get the SS of your choice. We were 'upgraded' to an SY handicapped cabin at the very front of the ship. Large stateroom but tiny verandah and noise like you wouldn't believe. The cabin would soometimes vibrate like a tuning fork when docking. Don't take the risk.

Don't do it...pay the extra to get the SS of your choice. We were 'upgraded' to an SY handicapped cabin at the very front of the ship. Large stateroom but tiny verandah and noise like you wouldn't believe. The cabin would soometimes vibrate like a tuning fork when docking. Don't take the risk.

Oh wow! That's scary. 😦

Hello again... We booked our 2nd HAL cruise on the Westerdam to Alaska in August. We got a GREAT deal on an SZ guarantee. Does anyone have any experience with this choice? Today, they are offering your choice of an SS but it is $200 per person more... But still a good price. Any advice? I am still learning the ropes and would appreciate hearing about your experience!

Never been on the Westerdam, but we did an SZ gty on the Eurodam a few years ago. People warned us about the possibility of a handicapped cabin, but we ended up with a lovely suite mid ship and were very pleased. Good luck and Happy Sailing!

Hello again... We booked our 2nd HAL cruise on the Westerdam to Alaska in August. We got a GREAT deal on an SZ guarantee. Does anyone have any experience with this choice? Today, they are offering your choice of an SS but it is $200 per person more... But still a good price. Any advice? I am still learning the ropes and would appreciate hearing about your experience! 😎

Are there any SY cabins available? If so, these often are a good alternative at a lower price than the SS.

Are there any SY cabins available? If so, these often are a good alternative at a lower price than the SS.

I think that's what we ended up with, the SY. I get so confused, but think the SS and SC are better? LOL!! Only cruised with HAL that one time, so don't really know other than we had a lovely cabin and a wonderful time. Thought the food was great!

Since there's only 2 SZ and they are almost always oversold, the odds are high that you'd get an SY ... or maaaybe an SS. Being a bit of a tightwad and not particularly fussy about our cabin, I would take the chance and not upgrade. However, you do not sound like a gambler to me, and think you would be happier paying the $400 to choose a cabin. ;)

Question: A guarantee means you will get a cabin somewhere within that type? But you could get something in a higher type? I'm just asking since I still don't understand all the types of bookings. We have a cabin assigned for our next cruise so we are safe, right?

A gty means you will get at least what you booked. We generally cruise RCCI and always a JS, so that's what we go for or the equivalent on other lines. The other lines may call them 'mini' suite or superior/deluxe or whatever. But, I believe with HAL the SZ is the lower of the 'suite' category, like a JS. So, as was posted previously, there are only 2 actual SZ suites, which means you would probably get either an SS, SY or SC. I don't know which is which, 'superior/deluxe' etc. but they are all nice. So, unless you have a problem with a handicapped suite, which could happen, you should get a very nice cabin. We had a lovely one and thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on the Eurodam! Good Luck and Happy Sailing! :)

Question: A guarantee means you will get a cabin somewhere within that type? But you could get something in a higher type? I'm just asking since I still don't understand all the types of bookings. We have a cabin assigned for our next cruise so we are safe, right?[/quote]

I bolded the part of the quote above... Even if you have selected a cabin you could get "upgraded" to a higher level and possibly to a cabin y9ou would not prefer, usually for location unless you have your reservation marked "DO NOT UPGRADE".

For example: We had a nice OV partially obstructed on Lower Promenade deck once and did not want to get "upgraded" to a very forward porthole cabin on Main deck, so we used this request. m--

Even if you have selected a cabin you could get "upgraded" to a higher level and possibly to a cabin y9ou would not prefer, usually for location unless you have your reservation marked "DO NOT UPGRADE".
You could even get moved to a different cabin at the same level. We were once moved three cabins down the hall from the one we had chosen, but at the same level. I think someone wanted the one we had picked because it was a connecting one.

You could even get moved to a different cabin at the same level. We were once moved three cabins down the hall from the one we had chosen, but at the same level. I think someone wanted the one we had picked because it was a connecting one.

I tried to book the SY Handicap on deck 5 to see if I might get that instead of an SZ but it said they were unavailable... So I ham hoping they will not put us there... Mostly due to the forward motion. I am concerned about the noise factor of the joining rooms of SZ. How was that?

I am concerned about the noise factor of the joining rooms of SZ. How was that?
We've had connecting cabins 4 or 5 times, and never had a problem of noise through that door. We once had a lot of TV noise coming through the wall in a non-connecting cabin on the Veendam!

Please tell me this isn't true. We just booked an SY cabin in a prime midship location, but with upgrade allowable. We did this because HAL told me that they can NOT do a lateral move -- only an upgrade. So if we get an upgrade, it would have to be to at least an SS -- which would be fine by me, as all of the SS cabins are on a lower deck (better), and I would be happy with any of them.

What I DON'T want is to be "upgraded" to a different SY cabin. If we were fine with any location for SY, we would have booked a guarantee. But we're not. We payed the additional $400 so we could pick the cabin. But if they upgrade us, we're fine with any SS or above cabin.

This is our first HAL cruise. Can anyone tell me which is correct? Can they actually do a lateral move when you are not booked guarantee? Because if so, then you are paying for picking your cabin, but in fact you are in a guarantee!

Please tell me this isn't true. ... Can anyone tell me which is correct?
What would be my motivation to make up such a story? :mad: Maybe they don't do it any longer, but in Apr 2008 we booked Amsterdam DD3377 and when our documents arrived we were assigned DD3385. I checked with our TA and he was as surprised as we were. (Today those cabins are both designated as H) I did make one error in my post however: it was 4 cabins down the hall, not 3.

Besides, I believe in the "fine print" it says that HAL reserves the right to put you anywhere they want (at or above the level you book) even if you specify Do Not Upgrade!

Edited by jtl513

What would be my motivation to make up such a story? :mad: Maybe they don't do it any longer, but in Apr 2008 we booked Amsterdam DD3377 and when our documents arrived we were assigned DD3385. I checked with our TA and he was as surprised as we were. (Today those cabins are both designated as H) I did make one error in my post however: it was 4 cabins down the hall, not 3.

Besides, I believe in the "fine print" it says that HAL reserves the right to put you anywhere they want (at or above the level you book) even if you specify Do Not Upgrade!

My goodness! I wasn't questioning your character, so I believe you can put your angry face away. I was questioning if this is still done, or if any other frequent HAL cruisers might be able to shed some light on the situation. And also, truth be told, it was entirely possible that you were mistaken. It has been known to happen that people are mistaken about things, without having actually purposely "made up a story".

But you say quite emphatically that it happened to you, so...okay then. I believe you. But I'm glad to hear that the cruise in which this happened to you was seven years ago. That seems long enough ago to hold out hope that this is no longer a practice. I certainly hope not, because if they have the ability to treat your select-cabin booking as a guarantee (which is, generally, less expensive), then what are we paying the extra $400 for? Seems to me that basic business practices would dictate that they can't sell something and then not give you what they sold.

I also realize that the cruise contract essentially gives them the right to do whatever the heck they want with you, including taking your first born son (which, in my case...they can have him). My question is...what do they SAY is the policy about upgrades? And...what is most people's EXPERIENCE about upgrades?

To answer the first, I'm going to call them back. To answer the second, I would sure love to hear other HAL cruisers' feedback.

Well that's a relief! I just got off the phone with HAL, and they confirmed that they will NOT move us to another SY category cabin as a "complimentary upgrade". She clarified that since we booked a specific SY cabin, and not a guarantee, that we will definitely be in that cabin unless they upgrade us...and the upgrade MUST be to a higher category (SS or better).

I asked her if there are any circumstances in which we might be bumped out of our cabin into another SY. She stated that this would only happen if we were in a handicap stateroom, and they needed it for a handicapped passenger. Fortunately our cabin is not a handicap one, so we should be safe.

I asked her if there are any other situations in which we might be moved without approval to another SY, and she insisted quite emphatically that this would not happen.

I'm not saying this hasn't happened - I'm sure it has, and of course we have someone right here telling us that it has. And we all know that the cruise lines are quite good at telling you one thing and doing another. ;) But the takeaway here is that their stated upgrade *policy* is that they will not do a lateral move as a complimentary upgrade. If they do, that would be an unusual situation, deviating from their stated policy.

That's good enough for me. I feel so much better! Now I'll just sit back and wait for that complimentary upgrade to a Neptune. (I know...in my dreams...but one can dream, right?) :D

First off, as far as the HC cabins go -- DH requires one, so I've been in quite a few -- if they are not booked by a certain point, they go back into the inventory and will be used for guarantees or upsells.

The SYs on the Vista and Signature ships are roomy, true, but they have small balconies, a single sink in the bathroom, and the tub is not jetted.

If any of those amenities are important to you - a bigger balcony, a double sink, a Jacuzzi tub - then be wary of booking an SZ guarantee.

The SY cabins are all the way forward.

First off, as far as the HC cabins go -- DH requires one, so I've been in quite a few -- if they are not booked by a certain point, they go back into the inventory and will be used for guarantees or upsells.

The SYs on the Vista and Signature ships are roomy, true, but they have small balconies, a single sink in the bathroom, and the tub is not jetted.

If any of those amenities are important to you - a bigger balcony, a double sink, a Jacuzzi tub - then be wary of booking an SZ guarantee.

The SY cabins are all the way forward. (Signature ships do have 6108, which was an SY when we stayed in it, not sure of current category. It has a bigger balcony than the other HC cabins because it is on the bump out.)

Another thing to remember: A HC person staying in an SY may get an upsell offer to a HC Neptune suite -- which means the SY you thought was booked is now open and added to the inventory.

Edited by Oceanwench

... because if they have the ability to treat your select-cabin booking as a guarantee (which is, generally, less expensive), ...
This is not true on HAL. Unless the entire category is guarantee-only, a selected cabin is the same price as a guarantee. We've done 9 guarantees, and this has always been the case.

Edited by jtl513

Well that's a relief! I just got off the phone with HAL, and they confirmed that they will NOT move us to another SY category cabin as a "complimentary upgrade". She clarified that since we booked a specific SY cabin, and not a guarantee, that we will definitely be in that cabin unless they upgrade us...and the upgrade MUST be to a higher category (SS or better).

I asked her if there are any circumstances in which we might be bumped out of our cabin into another SY. She stated that this would only happen if we were in a handicap stateroom, and they needed it for a handicapped passenger. Fortunately our cabin is not a handicap one, so we should be safe.

I asked her if there are any other situations in which we might be moved without approval to another SY, and she insisted quite emphatically that this would not happen.

I'm not saying this hasn't happened - I'm sure it has, and of course we have someone right here telling us that it has. And we all know that the cruise lines are quite good at telling you one thing and doing another. ;) But the takeaway here is that their stated upgrade *policy* is that they will not do a lateral move as a complimentary upgrade. If they do, that would be an unusual situation, deviating from their stated policy.

That's good enough for me. I feel so much better! Now I'll just sit back and wait for that complimentary upgrade to a Neptune. (I know...in my dreams...but one can dream, right?) :D

I would put more stock in what John - or any other experienced HAL cruiser says here - than what some HAL rep tells me.

They have been known to be wrong a lot. And you can get as many different answers from HAL as the number of reps you speak to.

Are there any "complimentary" upgrades?

I know there are upsells - sometimes good prices, sometimes not.

It seems many people are happy to pay the difference to move up from an SY to a Neptune Suite.

The only "free" upgrades I see mentioned are the ones people with guarantees get.

Edited by Oceanwench

This is not true on HAL. Unless the entire category is guarantee-only, a selected cabin is the same price as a guarantee. We've done 9 guarantees, and this has always been the case.

You are correct. :)

Not sure why people think a guarantee is cheaper.

We have booked guarantees for our kids a number of times, and we always have paid the price of that category, the same as if we had booked a specific cabin.

Hmmm...interesting. In that case I can't imagine why anyone would bother booking a guarantee, because...what's the benefit? If you're not saving money, why take the risk of ending up in a less-desirable location?

I'm not questioning your honesty, I promise. Just wondering what on earth the number-crunchers might be thinking in making a guarantee the same price as selecting a cabin. And also questioning the sanity of anyone who actually buys a guarantee, when they could choose their location for the same price.

On our cruise there was a $200 difference per person, which we elected to pay so that we could pick our cabin. But we also allowed for a complimentary upgrade, in hopes we'll end up on deck 6 instead of deck 8...or, if lightning strikes, in a Neptune.

Oh well...as Alice says, curiouser and curiouser! ;)