SZ Guarantee Worth the risk?

bjarrett7

You are correct. :)

Not sure why people think a guarantee is cheaper.

We have booked guarantees for our kids a number of times, and we always have paid the price of that category, the same as if we had booked a specific cabin.

I posted my comment before I saw yours, so now I actually have someone to ask about this curious thing.

My question is...why would you book a guarantee, if the price is the same as selecting your own cabin? I'm truly interested. Is there some benefit to allowing HAL to pick the cabin that I'm just not seeing?

Oh, editing to addd: and to answer your question -- I can tell you that the reason I believe guarantee is cheaper is because, on my cruise, it was. Also, on every single other cruise line I've ever booked, the guarantee is always cheaper. I'm finding it quite curious that this is not the case with HAL, and am wondering if they offer some other incentive to allow them to choose your cabin for you that I, being new to HAL, don't know about.

Edited by Leejnd4

We booked guarantees for our (adult) kids - obstructed view, HH, because we didn't want to spend a lot of money on a higher oceanview category.

But we hoped, with a guarantee, that they would be assigned a higher category.

They were.

On one cruise, my daughter was moved to an unobstructed view cabin - and then I was offered an upsell to a VA for her for $49 pp. We grabbed it.

I can't book a guarantee, as DH requires a HC cabin. No such thing as a HC guarantee, for obvious reasons.

Maybe others who routinely book guarantees will tell you their reasoning.

I think most do it with the hopes of moving up to something a lot better.

It is to HAL's advantage to sell guarantees, so people can be shuffled around to open cabins - bump everyone up and sell what's left over to the last-minute bargain hunters.

We booked guarantees for our (adult) kids - obstructed view, HH, because we didn't want to spend a lot of money on a higher oceanview category.

But we hoped, with a guarantee, that they would be assigned a higher category.

They were.

On one cruise, my daughter was moved to an unobstructed view cabin - and then I was offered an upsell to a VA for her for $49 pp. We grabbed it.

I can't book a guarantee, as DH requires a HC cabin. No such thing as a HC guarantee, for obvious reasons.

Maybe others who routinely book guarantees will tell you their reasoning.

I think most do it with the hopes of moving up to something a lot better.

It is to HAL's advantage to sell guarantees, so people can be shuffled around to open cabins - bump everyone up and sell what's left over to the last-minute bargain hunters.

I hear what you're saying...but the part I still don't understand is...couldn't you choose your cabin AND get the possibility of an upgrade, simply by allowing for complimentary upgrade? Why take the risk of a bad cabin location if you aren't getting anything for it (e.g. lower price)?

Perhaps I'm being dense. I can certainly see why it's to HAL's benefit for pax to book guarantee, but I'm still not seeing the benefit to the passenger! You can select your own cabin and still allow for upgrade simply by not DISallowing upgrades...for the same price as leaving your cabin selection to chance. So where's the incentive to book guarantee, if not a lower price?

There must be a piece I'm missing somewhere. Hmm...could it be that experience shows that throwing caution to the wind and allowing HAL to choose your cabin increases your chances of getting upgraded? If that's the case, that certainly sounds like a good incentive...but only to knowledgeable HAL cruisers who are aware of this history, which doesn't seem like a good business plan for HAL to rely on only knowledgeable HAL cruisers to sell guarantee cabins.

Don't mean to belabor this, but I'm new to HAL and trying to understand their practices.

It is my observation also that the guarantee cabins are less expensive. When we booked a Baltics cruise last year, the SZ quarantee cabins were not even offered at first. Early bookers had to take an SY at the going rate. Later the SZ's were added at a lower price with the difference eventually reaching $1600 pp.

I am sure there are many others here with a far better understanding than I.

I don't know the statistics, but it appears that the majority of those who book guarantees end up with a higher cabin category - so they have spent less money to get a better cabin.

Say someone pays $1200 pp for an SZ guarantee - knowing there are only 2 (is that right?) per ship, and chances are they will get an SY (which is selling for $1400pp) or an SS (which is selling for $1600pp).

Most find the gamble pays off.

Just making up numbers there. :D

I would say - from friends' and family's experience with booking specific cabins - none of them has ever been offered a free upgrade.

I think between offering upsells, and moving up the guarantees in most cases, HAL pretty much has done away with any complimentary upgrades to people who book specific cabins.

It is my observation also that the guarantee cabins are less expensive. When we booked a Baltics cruise last year, the SZ quarantee cabins were not even offered at first. Early bookers had to take an SY at the going rate. Later the SZ's were added at a lower price with the difference eventually reaching $1600 pp.

SZ is a lower category than SY or SS.

That is why an SZ guarantee is cheaper than an SY or SS.

In my opinion, HAL uses the SZ category as a "low price point" category for suites. That is why there are only a couple of cabins in this category per ship. Also, by offering these SZs only as "guarantees", they can move people up the price ladder to get confirmed cabins in the Signature Suite category, rather than take a chance on where you will be located.

Interesting marketing strategy and well thought out IMO.

DaveOKC

There is a new "box" to check re: upgrades.

For the two 2016 cruises we just scheduled we were able to chose "upgrade only Veranda to Signature or Signature to Neptune. Also.......interested in upsell ........and they call that something different now.

So.......times change!

Good info!

And I also had another thought...I believe I'm looking at this question from the paradigm of "it's always better to pick your own cabin". That might be true in our particular case, but not always. For example, if you are booking closer to the cruise and the only cabins left in your category are not particularly desirable, then it makes sense to throw caution to the wind and book a guarantee. In that case, the WORST that can happen is you get in one of those cabins...but you might very well end up in a better one.

I did see that about the SZs...only two of them. And that strategy does make sense.

In our case, we booked early enough that we got quite a nice location with an SY, so it didn't make sense for us to chance getting a worse one. But we did check the "allow upgrades" box, in the off chance we'll get moved to an SS.

We also put on the record that we are interested in an upsell. Right now the difference in price between a Signature and a Neptue is greater than we want to pay, and not worth the extra room and amenities...but it wouldn't take a whole lot of discount for us to jump on it! :D

Hmmm...interesting. In that case I can't imagine why anyone would bother booking a guarantee, because...what's the benefit? If you're not saving money, why take the risk of ending up in a less-desirable location?
Up until a few years ago we weren't particular where our cabin was on the ship, and liked to "roll the dice" and try different areas. In all nine cases that we did guarantees we got a higher level cabin than we paid for. On Vista ships we never booked higher than a VE and never sailed in less than a VB. Usually it was a VA. A couple of the best upgrades were

(1) a VH guarantee (far forward, steel wall railings) on the Noordam became a VB on the stern, a 5 step upgrade and a saving of about $250 pp from booking the VB initially

(2) an H obstructed outside gty became a deck 8 verandah on the Nieuw Amsterdam - a 16 step upgrade, or approximately $800 pp savings from booking the V ourselves.

Only once were we somewhat unhappy with the assigned location. We simply didn't spend as much time in that cabin as we did on other cruises.

However, since the fleet-wide re-categorization last Spring we will no longer book gtys because it introduced too much risk of getting an undesirable cabin. For example, what used to be VE on deck 5, with small balconies and right above the lifeboats, have become VA on Vista ships and V on the Signature ships. You could now pay a VD or higher gty price and get an "upgrade" to what you used to pay a VE price for. We used to be able to book a VE gty and be sure of getting a balcony with a plexiglass railing. Not true anymore. :(

Edited by jtl513

However, since the fleet-wide re-categorization last Spring we will no longer book gtys because it introduced too much risk of getting an undesirable cabin. For example, what used to be VE on deck 5, with small balconies and right above the lifeboats, have become VA on Vista ships and V on the Signature ships. You could now pay a VD or higher gty price and get an "upgrade" to what you used to pay a VE price for. :(

Well that's unfortunate! And yet another good reason not to book a guarantee, if indeed there is a cabin you could select in a decent location.

I'll admit to being quite foggy on all of HAL's categories, mainly because we knew we were going to book a Signature Suite so we didn't bother trying to untangle and decipher all the permutations of the categories below that.

Fortunately the Signature suites are pretty straightforward. According to the deck plans, all the Signature Suites are either on 8 or 6, and there are only 3 categories -- SZ (of which there are only two cabins), SY, and SS. While there were a couple of SY cabins we would NOT want, we'd be happy with any SS (due to the lower deck). Therefore we selected our SY, and allowed for upgrade. The ONLY thing they can upgrade us to (according to their stated policy) is an SS or Neptune. Either of which would be dandy!

SZ is a lower category than SY or SS.

That is why an SZ guarantee is cheaper than an SY or SS.

Sorry. I'm not sure I get your point.

I was responding to the people who contend that quarantees are not less expensive. I guess I did not make myself clear. I know that lower category cabins cost less - as in this case - a lot less, and the people who booked the SY's are not eligible for the price difference because it is a different category. So the guarantee can be a gamble if you don't want to end up in an HC, but it can also pay off quite handsomely. Since there are only two SZ's, many people who booked the guarantee for $1600 less ended up next door to those in SY's who paid rack rate early on.

Maybe they were talking about the difference between an SY and an SY quarantee, but I can't remember ever having seen that. Typically they fill the ship by selling lots of SZ guarantees and moving people around.

Good info!

And I also had another thought...I believe I'm looking at this question from the paradigm of "it's always better to pick your own cabin". That might be true in our particular case, but not always. For example, if you are booking closer to the cruise and the only cabins left in your category are not particularly desirable, then it makes sense to throw caution to the wind and book a guarantee. In that case, the WORST that can happen is you get in one of those cabins...but you might very well end up in a better one.

I did see that about the SZs...only two of them. And that strategy does make sense.

In our case, we booked early enough that we got quite a nice location with an SY, so it didn't make sense for us to chance getting a worse one. But we did check the "allow upgrades" box, in the off chance we'll get moved to an SS.

We also put on the record that we are interested in an upsell. Right now the difference in price between a Signature and a Neptue is greater than we want to pay, and not worth the extra room and amenities...but it wouldn't take a whole lot of discount for us to jump on it! :D

IMO, there are a number of SY cabins that I would rather have than a SS, so if I picked out one of these SYs (mostly the ones under the lido dining area) I would be upset to get an SS as an "upgrade".

Also, the locations of the SZ cabins are not far forward, but are more aft and are not in a bad location IMO.

DaveOKC

IMO, there are a number of SY cabins that I would rather have than a SS, so if I picked out one of these SYs (mostly the ones under the lido dining area) I would be upset to get an SS as an "upgrade".

Also, the locations of the SZ cabins are not far forward, but are more aft and are not in a bad location IMO.

DaveOKC

Does it matter what ship? Again, as a new HAL cruiser, I'm still trying to figure all this out. Perhaps we should reconsider allowing for a complimentary upgrade!

Is your issue with the less desirable SS's about the noise from above? I generally tend to ignore noise complaints about cabins, because I'm not in there much during the day, and at night I sleep with sturdy earplugs (due to 30 years of being married to the world's loudest snorer!). Are there other issues with the SS cabins I should be wary of?

Btw, we're on Oosterdam.

We just booked, and our cruise is not until January, so all options are still available. I very much appreciate all this great education about HAL cabins! Gotta love CruiseCritic. :D

Editing to add...I just looked again at the deck plans, and it seems any noise issues are going to be with the SYs, not the SS's. We're currently in an SY, below the Lido deck. If they move us to an SS, that will be below cabins, so it seems the SS's would always be better than the SYs, at least from a noise perspective. But I would love to hear which SYs you would prefer over an SS!

Edited by Leejnd4

Sorry. I'm not sure I get your point.

I was responding to the people who contend that quarantees are not less expensive. I guess I did not make myself clear. I know that lower category cabins cost less - as in this case - a lot less, and the people who booked the SY's are not eligible for the price difference because it is a different category. So the guarantee can be a gamble if you don't want to end up in an HC, but it can also pay off quite handsomely. Since there are only two SZ's, many people who booked the guarantee for $1600 less ended up next door to those in SY's who paid rack rate early on.

Maybe they were talking about the difference between an SY and an SY quarantee, but I can't remember ever having seen that. Typically they fill the ship by selling lots of SZ guarantees and moving people around.

My point is that booking a guarantee is not cheaper than booking a specific cabin in the same category.

For example, I booked my daughter in an HH guarantee. I paid the same as if I had booked her in a specific HH cabin.

That is what others were saying - you don't pay less by booking a guarantee initially

But if you do get upgraded, then you have paid less for the cabin you ultimately get.

Many who book guarantees and then end up in the same category they booked will come here and complain about getting what they paid for.

Does it matter what ship? Again, as a new HAL cruiser, I'm still trying to figure all this out. Perhaps we should reconsider allowing for a complimentary upgrade!

Is your issue with the less desirable SS's about the noise from above? I generally tend to ignore noise complaints about cabins, because I'm not in there much during the day, and at night I sleep with sturdy earplugs (due to 30 years of being married to the world's loudest snorer!). Are there other issues with the SS cabins I should be wary of?

Btw, we're on Oosterdam.

We just booked, and our cruise is not until January, so all options are still available. I very much appreciate all this great education about HAL cabins! Gotta love CruiseCritic. :D

Editing to add...I just looked again at the deck plans, and it seems any noise issues are going to be with the SYs, not the SS's. We're currently in an SY, below the Lido deck. If they move us to an SS, that will be below cabins, so it seems the SS's would always be better than the SYs, at least from a noise perspective. But I would love to hear which SYs you would prefer over an SS!

In regards to the Oosterdam (0), the SS cabins have other cabins above and below them, so in general are quiet. However, they are on deck 6, which is three decks below the Lido deck and 3 or 4 decks above the Promenade and Lower Promenade decks (these three decks is where you will spend your tie when not in your cabin), so you will have to take an elevator almost everywhere you go.

Personally, I like deck 8, as it is only one below the Lido deck, which gives you easy access to it via stairs or elevators. Further, I book the SY cabins AFT of the midship elevators, which means you can quickly run up one flight of stairs for a coffee or snack from the Lido buffet, PLUS these cabins are below the CARPETED area of the Lido buffet, thus very little noise from above. IMO, avoid the SY cabins FORWARD of the midship elevators, as they are under the pool area and you often hear chair scrapping noises and the band at certain times.

Again, this is just my opinion on these cabins. I would get a copy of the deck plans and examine the cabin locations carefully for yourself.

DaveOKC

In regards to the Oosterdam (0), the SS cabins have other cabins above and below them, so in general are quiet. However, they are on deck 6, which is three decks below the Lido deck and 3 or 4 decks above the Promenade and Lower Promenade decks (these three decks is where you will spend your tie when not in your cabin), so you will have to take an elevator almost everywhere you go.

Personally, I like deck 8, as it is only one below the Lido deck, which gives you easy access to it via stairs or elevators. Further, I book the SY cabins AFT of the midship elevators, which means you can quickly run up one flight of stairs for a coffee or snack from the Lido buffet, PLUS these cabins are below the CARPETED area of the Lido buffet, thus very little noise from above. IMO, avoid the SY cabins FORWARD of the midship elevators, as they are under the pool area and you often hear chair scrapping noises and the band at certain times.

Again, this is just my opinion on these cabins. I would get a copy of the deck plans and examine the cabin locations carefully for yourself.

DaveOKC

Ooh, this is very good feedback! We're currently booked in 8052, which is forward. I'm thinking we should switch to something aft, under the carpeted area. THANK YOU! I'm going to call my agent right now. It's far enough away, seems we should be able to get one.

This has been a great thread! I've learned so much! Just wanted to give you an update on my original post: I originally booked an SZ Guarantee on Westerdam's Alaskan Cruise in August for $1699... Went back to pick my own and they were $2199.. So I think that answers my question... Worth the risk. I hope it works out well or at least get a decent up sell offer. Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. 😎

Sent from my iPad using Forums