Where have you eaten?

Tammy296

We'll be in Ocho Rios soon... I'm curious for fellow travelers here...

Where have you eaten before? Did you like it? Not like it? Why? Cost wise?

We're trying to get some ideas on authentic Jamaican cuisine. It will be me and my two girls and our tour guide. He's taking us wherever we want to go. He may have suggestions but I don't want to go to a place that is high priced or big boxed.

We're interested in (mild) jerk and seafood and any other authentic Jamaican cuisine places.

Ideas?

We ate last month at Scotchies. They had beef, pork, chicken and sausages grilled over open flame. Lots of authentic sides, and everything we tried was yummy and inexpensive. Ask your tour guide what they suggest - they'll never take you to a bad restaurant!

To all who respond: Thank you in advance.

We COULD ask the tour guide but it'd be nice to have some idea what others liked before going. Not to change the subject (that's not my intention)...I think what concerns me about asking the tour guide we hired is that we could be taken to a place that's out of our price range and "surprised". lol I'm sure no tour guide would want to lead us astray. I've heard the scotchies is good by some, bad by others. Some thought it was overpriced. Then again one persons opinion of whether the food is good varies among people. It's still a good idea to have different ideas. Thank you for suggesting Scotchies.

Any others?

:)

I've eaten at an open air roadside diner that wasn't far from the port as I walked there. I turned left as I left the port road and it was a short distance on the right side of the main road, before the first shopping area. I asked for some jerk chicken, and then was questioned how I wanted it spiced - guess the waiter figured I couldn't handle a 4 alarm blaze. Very tasty and I only needed one diet refill to quench the hotness.

Scotchie's is great for jerk chicken and pork.

We also liked Miss T's Kitchen very much. This is located in downtown Ocho Rios. She specializes in seafood. I had the run down shrimp which was to die for, Others had garlic shrimp, which they all enjoyed too.

• 2 weeks later...
We ate last month at Scotchies. They had beef, pork, chicken and sausages grilled over open flame. Lots of authentic sides, and everything we tried was yummy and inexpensive. Ask your tour guide what they suggest - they'll never take you to a bad restaurant!

Scotchies is the bomb!

We hired a private guide for the day that highly recommended Scotchies. It has all the local favorites including: jerk pork, jerk chicken, breadfruit, and other side dishes. It is a popular outdoor restaurant by not only locals but tourists as well.