Frustrated with MYSELF - Sail Again Deposit

GoofyCrew

I am so frustrated with MYSELF. We put money down, while on our cruise, towards a future cruise last month. Being our first cruise, and we were having a great time, it seemed like a win-win!

Wrong. I got home to start researching what to book next and I quickly realized that, unless we want to go on the EXACT SAME ITINERARY again (Western Caribbean, which sails from FOUR ports - augh) the money we put down is pretty much useless.

Why? Because it has to be a 7 day + cruise (which we knew when we put the money down). We were hoping to use it towards a Bahamas cruise, which I realized when we got home are mostly are 3-4 day cruises. I found one (on the Spirit) that is 7 day, but unfortunately with our family of 4 it will not let me book a balcony, which is a MUST because of seasickness/need fresh air NOW issues.

It isn't NCL's fault other than my disappointment in their lack of variety in itineraries. It is MY fault for biting onto a promo without being able to fully research things first (no internet + vacation anything-sounds-good brain).

Our kids are too young to do the balcony/inside stateroom across the hallway thing, otherwise that would work.

So disappointed, bummed with myself. Venting. Haha. I KNOW it is my fault so please don't state the obvious. I am just looking for other suggestions.

At this point it looks like we might have to eat the $150 and book with a different cruise line (which stinks because we really liked NCL!). Even if I go all the way out until 2017, there is nothing that really works for our family of four to go to a destination that interests us.

Most of the cruise certificates you purchase on a future cruise are transferable. Try to find another family member or a friend to sell it to. Keep in mind that when you book a future cruise you don't have to put any additional deposit, only the certificate is needed. They are normally good for up to 4 years. I personally think it is a good deal they offer. Good luck.

We were hoping to use it towards a Bahamas cruise, which I realized when we got home are mostly are 3-4 day cruises. I found one (on the Spirit) that is 7 day, but unfortunately with our family of 4 it will not let me book a balcony, which is a MUST because of seasickness/need fresh air NOW issues.

You can do 7 day to the bahamas from NY on Breakaway (fall/winter months) or Gem (Spring/Summer months).

Don't know of any family or friends that cruise NCL, but maybe it is time they start! ;)

I knew of the 4 years but going out 2 years there wasn't anything that really worked. Not real confident that they will add anything 4 years from now, but I suppose it is possible. And, to be honest, I really don't want to wait 4 years to go again. Haha! But...that gets my gears turning...if we took a 4 day Bahamas we could NOT use it on that cruise and save it for another, right? It doesn't necessarily have to be used on your NEXT cruise, does it? Provided that we can squeeze 3 cruises into 4 years... :eek: which could very well blow the vacation budget out of the water! (no pun intended)

I am so frustrated with MYSELF. We put money down, while on our cruise, towards a future cruise last month. Being our first cruise, and we were having a great time, it seemed like a win-win!

Wrong. I got home to start researching what to book next and I quickly realized that, unless we want to go on the EXACT SAME ITINERARY again (Western Caribbean, which sails from FOUR ports - augh) the money we put down is pretty much useless.

Why? Because it has to be a 7 day + cruise (which we knew when we put the money down). We were hoping to use it towards a Bahamas cruise, which I realized when we got home are mostly are 3-4 day cruises. I found one (on the Spirit) that is 7 day, but unfortunately with our family of 4 it will not let me book a balcony, which is a MUST because of seasickness/need fresh air NOW issues.

It isn't NCL's fault other than my disappointment in their lack of variety in itineraries. It is MY fault for biting onto a promo without being able to fully research things first (no internet + vacation anything-sounds-good brain).

Our kids are too young to do the balcony/inside stateroom across the hallway thing, otherwise that would work.

So disappointed, bummed with myself. Venting. Haha. I KNOW it is my fault so please don't state the obvious. I am just looking for other suggestions.

At this point it looks like we might have to eat the $150 and book with a different cruise line (which stinks because we really liked NCL!). Even if I go all the way out until 2017, there is nothing that really works for our family of four to go to a destination that interests us.

I'll give you 50¢ on the dollar for it:D

When did you buy it? You have thirty days to get a refund. Also, it is valid for 6 day and above cruises, not 7.

http://www.ncl.com/popup/cruise_rewards_terms

40 days ago. :( Darn it, I should have asked sooner. Took a few weeks to settle back in and get sick enough of winter again to start looking for another trip.

Thanks, I thought it was 7 days. Maybe 6 days will have something...going to check it out!

An itinerary might change in 4 years - and NCL sails two different Western Caribbean routes - Cozumel, Honduras, Belize and Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman. We've done both- twice on different ships (Spirit, Jewel, Pearl, and Star) - out of three different ports (New Orleans, Miami, and Houston in two weeks)

You might hold onto it for a year and see how you feel and what NCL is offering, then you can always sell it. :o

Edited by Tricialy

You can do 7 day to the bahamas from NY on Breakaway (fall/winter months) or Gem (Spring/Summer months).

NY would be OK, but we are from MI so I always think SOUTH. We would cruise in Jan, Feb or March. So maybe a Spring out of NY would be an option. I will check into that more, thank you!

An itinerary might change in 4 years - and NCL sails two different Western Caribbean routes - Cozumel, Honduras, Belize and Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman. We've done both- twice on different ships (Spirit, Jewel, Pearl, and Star) - out of three different ports (New Orleans, Miami, and Houston in two weeks)

You might hold onto it for a year and see how you feel and what NCL is offering, then you can always sell it. :o

We just did Costa Maya, Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. They were great, and I wouldn't be opposed it one of those was a repeat, but I would definitely would not want it to be identical. Would love to go to Bahamas and/or Grand Cayman.

Wow, there are a lot of different sailings out of NY. Thanks for mentioning that! I guess I was hung up on leaving out of a southern port!

A few concerns:

Winter. All I keep hearing on the news is how awful NY (and Boston) are this time of year. I'm not sure about flying into/sailing out of there!

Pre/post cruise expense. It is a lot cheaper to stay in FL than it is in NYC.

But I feel MUCH more optimist now about our possible use of the credit! I am even intrigued by the fact that you can sail NORTH out of NYC (in the summer, of course).

Thanks for the feedback! With only one cruise under our belts I guess we still have A LOT to learn.

Don't know of any family or friends that cruise NCL, but maybe it is time they start! ;)

I knew of the 4 years but going out 2 years there wasn't anything that really worked. Not real confident that they will add anything 4 years from now, but I suppose it is possible. And, to be honest, I really don't want to wait 4 years to go again. Haha! But...that gets my gears turning...if we took a 4 day Bahamas we could NOT use it on that cruise and save it for another, right? It doesn't necessarily have to be used on your NEXT cruise, does it? Provided that we can squeeze 3 cruises into 4 years... :eek: which could very well blow the vacation budget out of the water! (no pun intended)

No, it doesn't have to be used on your next cruise. If you find an awesome deal on the Sky out of Miami go ahead and book it, then also have something booked using the FCC. Then you can have 2 vacations planned out, it also helps with the let down upon leaving the ship that your next one a year or two out is already booked.

We usually buy one every cruise, but we won't next time for this exact reason. Unless they start adding more sailings from PR for southern caribbean, we are going to jump ship for awhile. There's only so many times you can go to the same places.

Edited by SissasMomE

Wow, there are a lot of different sailings out of NY. Thanks for mentioning that! I guess I was hung up on leaving out of a southern port!

A few concerns:

Winter. All I keep hearing on the news is how awful NY (and Boston) are this time of year. I'm not sure about flying into/sailing out of there!

Pre/post cruise expense. It is a lot cheaper to stay in FL than it is in NYC.

But I feel MUCH more optimist now about our possible use of the credit! I am even intrigued by the fact that you can sail NORTH out of NYC (in the summer, of course).

Thanks for the feedback! With only one cruise under our belts I guess we still have A LOT to learn.

Breakaway to Bermuda is amazing! Both the ship and the itinerary are wonderful. Breakaway also sails to Bahamas and FL.

We are currently booked on the Escape, the Eastern Caribbean itinerary might work out great for you. It stops in Nassau, Bahamas as well.

I'm glad that you are feeling more optimistic now. You still have 4 years to use your FCC, I'm sure you will find something in the near future. :)

NY would be OK, but we are from MI so I always think SOUTH. We would cruise in Jan, Feb or March. So maybe a Spring out of NY would be an option. I will check into that more, thank you!

We are from IL and we decided to sail out of NY for Spring Break this year. The deciding factor was airfare. Airfare prices anywhere south during Spring Break were outrageous. I got R/T flights on SWA to NY for a bit under $200. The price of the cruise for our week in March was less expensive than the 7 night cruises going out of Miami too. The cruise is sailing south so the kids and I are thrilled. :D

Edited by hencoll

40 days ago. :( Darn it, I should have asked sooner. Took a few weeks to settle back in and get sick enough of winter again to start looking for another trip.

Thanks, I thought it was 7 days. Maybe 6 days will have something...going to check it out!

6 days out of NY to New England and Canada on the Gem. Also 7 days to New England and Canada on the Gem

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

There's a 7-day from Port Canaveral, FL on Spirit Dec 2015 and Jan, Feb 2016. It stops at Nassau, St Thomas, and St Maarten. Spirit also does a 7-day from Port Canaveral to Nassau, STT, and Tortola next Nov through April. In all, there are about 30 NCL sailings in the next two years from southern ports that meet your requirements. Many are west Caribbean but you still have plenty of options. Do you have a membership at that big box store that ends in oh and costs $55 a year. If so, talk to their travel department and tell them what you need.

It sounds like you have a few options, but even if you decide to just switch ships and do the same itinerary, trust me, you won't be bored. There is just so many options to do different things on the islands! Plus, think about it, a year from now you will be so happy to get out of the snow that even doing the same excursions on the same stops would sound appealing (i am from indiana so I feel you!)

Back on our 3rd and 4th cruise when I wasn't nearly so good at planning, I booked us a B2B that had almost identical stops. Both Eastern Caribbean, I think we repeated 3 out of 4 of the stops. We had different ships and different room types and even different cruise lines (balcony on Carnival and promenade on RCCL) and it was fantastic. We felt like we truly could enjoy the islands and relax knowing we could do more than one thing. So much fun!

I have found there is always something new in a port that I have not seen before so I wouldnt write off going once and never going back. We have been to Cozumel over 30 times and still enjoy going back.

The great thing about the certificate is that is all you need to make a deposit. So for a family of four that would normally be $1000. The downside is a higher final payment or you could pay on it over time to reduce the final amount.

Dave