Lanai Staterooms

dland4us

Hello,

We've only sailed on one Holland cruise, Zaandam, private balcony. Absolutely loved it! Right now we are considering sailing on ms Veendam, lower promenade deck with our balcony being an open deck. We have always chosen a balcony stateroom, never had to share balcony with other cruisers. What is your experience using Lanai Staterooms?

Our lanai experience was on the Rotterdam. I'd read where some people complained about the lack of storage, but we were on a 30 day cruise and found plenty of room for 2 people. I used my carryon bag as a "drawer" for our underwear and stowed it under the desk. The rest of our stuff fit nicely in the closet and on the shelves.

What I loved about our lanai was that, if something was going on outside, I could just grab my camera and run out and take pictures. We went to Hawaii and Tahiti on that trip and I was able to get pictures of dolphins and whales. We also had assigned deck chairs. It was nice knowing I'd be able to have a place to sit and read on deck without having to go searching.

I would not book a lanai room because it is much more expensive than windowed rooms on the lower promenade deck. We do like the LP deck very much and like the quick access to the outside. We do not mind people walking by our window -- it's kind of amusing sometimes. But there are so many exits to the deck that you can get there quickly from almost any room. You can even peruse the deck plan on the HAL site and choose a room close to an exit. I would get one a few doors away to minimize noise.

Also, remember that although lanai doors and cabin windows have mirrored glass, it is possible to see the first few feet into a room under the right conditions (dark outside, all the lights on inside). So there are times when you will want to draw the curtains.

I've wondered about the lanai cabins. When we had a balcony we would have room service breakfast out on the balcony but it would seem strange to eat a meal out on the promenade deck, especially in your pj's . As far as seeing in at night, when we walk the deck after dinner we are surprised how few close their curtains. We can see all the way to the door to the hall just walking by. Usually the walking deck has a lot of light on all night long so closing your curtains helps anyway.

We can see all the way to the door to the hall just walking by.
You must have excellent vision!! The photo below was taken with the drapes open and every light in the room on. Yes, this is not a Lanai but the window silvering is the same.

b>

In that picture you have a bright light shining directly at the mirrored glass, so it's not the best example.

I do not claim, as another poster did, that I had a clear view of the entire stateroom. But more than once, while walking on less illuminated parts of the deck, I have seen people inside the cabin if they are close to the lanai door.

Anyone booking a lanai should turn on all the lights, position a spouse at the door, and walk outside for a look-see, just in case.

I don't have super vision, but I could see into the lanai cabin at night with no problem. I was on the Veendam and went out on the deck at about 10PM. I had read a lot of posts that said that you couldn't see into the cabins, so I was surprised when I saw someone in their lanai cabin who was changing clothes. Please, close your drapes!

In that picture you have a bright light shining directly at the mirrored glass, so it's not the best example.
There is a bright light shining between every pair of cabins.

I do not claim, as another poster did, that I had a clear view of the entire stateroom.

Which is why I quoted her, not you.

Edited by jtl513

We're trying our first Lanai cabin on a Veendam trip to Bermuda this spring. I think we'll be perfectly comfortable enjoying a continental breakfast in our lounge chairs, but will probably skip the room service dinner.

Last time we were on Veendam, we had friends in a Lanai room; they didn't have any trouble with people seeing in, BUT the husband went out the deck door and didn't latch it properly. Someone walked in while she was changing! :o I'm going to be checking that door very carefully.

It took me a while to find this picture. As you can see, the light showing in the upper right corner of the previous picture was not shining at the window, but rather at the camera.

24v78kp.jpg

Our lanai experience was on the Rotterdam. I'd read where some people complained about the lack of storage, but we were on a 30 day cruise and found plenty of room for 2 people. I used my carryon bag as a "drawer" for our underwear and stowed it under the desk. The rest of our stuff fit nicely in the closet and on the shelves.

What I loved about our lanai was that, if something was going on outside, I could just grab my camera and run out and take pictures. We went to Hawaii and Tahiti on that trip and I was able to get pictures of dolphins and whales. We also had assigned deck chairs. It was nice knowing I'd be able to have a place to sit and read on deck without having to go searching.

Our lanai experience was on the Veendam for an 18 day Hawaii cruise. We had no problem with storage. I turned on all the cabin lights one night, went out on deck and pressed my face against the window. I could barely see shadows in the cabin. At 1' away I could not see anything in the cabin.

We agree with everything that Luna said (hi Dreena). We loved our lanai experience and would book a lanai again on the right itinerary.

We completely enjoyed our Lanai on the Veendam & would book another one in a minute.. Ours was a 7 day cruise, so no problem about storage.. We always enjoy being out on Promenade deck with others..

However, the poster who mentioned using their carry-on bag for their underwear had an excellent idea & probably had done some camping in their lifetime.. That's what we did in camp..

Loved having our own dedicated loungers out on Promenade Deck.. Never had breakfast out there but would take a cup of coffee out while DH was resting..

May will be our first HAL cruise, on Veendam. Because we need a fully accessible cabin, a balcony wasn't an option. It's great to hear so many good comments on the lanai cabins, but one question. How does room service work, especially at dinner, without a table in the room?

It's great to hear so many good comments on the lanai cabins, but one question. How does room service work, especially at dinner, without a table in the room?

It's not easy.

There may be enough room for one place setting at the desk. If there's a small table (iirc, there is one in the non-accessible lanai cabins), then the other person can set up there. The trays would have to be placed on the bed.

Take a good look, and make your plans for how you're going to work it before you place your order. And make sure the flat surfaces are cleared off to make room for the food/trays.

It's not easy.

There may be enough room for one place setting at the desk. If there's a small table (iirc, there is one in the non-accessible lanai cabins), then the other person can set up there. The trays would have to be placed on the bed.

Take a good look, and make your plans for how you're going to work it before you place your order. And make sure the flat surfaces are cleared off to make room for the food/trays.

Thanks. Guess on formal night we'll just eat in the Lido. I'll never convince DH to bring a jacket and tie; goes against his retirement rules!

... there are so many exits to the deck that you can get there quickly from almost any room. You can even peruse the deck plan on the HAL site and choose a room close to an exit. I would get one a few doors away to minimize noise...

We also like being on the LP Deck...very convenient for walking the deck as exercise. We spent three weeks on a Ryndam crossing once in 366, a room right next to a door, and loved the easy deck access.

Happy to report that we never noticed noise, and in fact have booked the same stateroom for Ryndam in April.

To me, the lanais are marketing genius on HAL's part. Weren't those cabins obstructed oceanviews prior to making them into lanais?

If one really enjoys the reserved chairs and easy access, go for it.

For us it's not worth the money. For a similar amount I'd prefer a balcony where I feel more comfortable coming out in my bathrobe, lol.

To me, the lanais are marketing genius on HAL's part. Weren't those cabins obstructed oceanviews prior to making them into lanais?

For us it's not worth the money. For a similar amount I'd prefer a balcony where I feel more comfortable coming out in my bathrobe, lol.

Wow I wish that the lanai I booked for our Canada/New England cruise was similar in price to a balcony. If that was the case I probably would book a balcony. The price difference was close to $700.00 per person. Not similar for that cruise. :eek:

Laurie

Sorry but you are way off on your prices of Outsides, Lanais & Balcony cabins..Balcony prices are NOT similar to the Lanai prices!

Just received HAL's sale brochure in the mail yesterday..Even on 7 day cruises now on sale from Boston to Sydney the Balcony prices are $500 more than the Lanai cabins.. Lanai cabins are $approx. $500 more than outsides & Balcony's are $1,000 more than outsides...

If you find it's worth it to pay $1000 more to go out in your bathrobe that's fine, but it's not worth it to me, especially since we do the longer cruises of at least 15 or more days where Balcony's are $1100 more per person than a Lanai .. (That's Maasdam's sale price)

May will be our first HAL cruise, on Veendam. Because we need a fully accessible cabin, a balcony wasn't an option. It's great to hear so many good comments on the lanai cabins, but one question. How does room service work, especially at dinner, without a table in the room?

We normally do not do room service.. Only time was when we were on our 68 day cruise & both of us were sick.. We were confined to quarters for several days by the Medical Dept..

Normally, I get up ahead of DH would get dressed & go up to the Lido for a cup of coffee & bring it back to enjoy out on deck..

My husband and I are doing a South Pacific crossing cruise to Australia in September on the Volendam. We've cruised on Holland twice and had outside cabins on the lower promenade which we really liked. On this 24 day cruise, we chose an interior cabin to save money, but then decided to splurge and try a lanai cabin ($700 more per person than an interior).

When booking the lanai, our travel agent told us that we could only book a guaranteed lanai and we agreed to do that. I would have preferred to choose our cabin, but did not have that choice. I was wondering if this is how lanais are typically booked. If we don't get the lanai, we will be upgraded to a Vista Suite ($1500 more than the lanai per person). I really doubt if that will happen though.

For us a lanai's only advantage for us is the no smoking. We will use a private verandah with balcony. PS, smokers do not bother us! I like the idea of your own deck chairs, but we so enjoy eating on our balcony. It would be a nice advantage to be able to walk so easily on the Prommenade.

Who knows we are planning to do a longer cruise than our last one of 24 days on the Nieuw. So we might try it.

Happy Cruising!

Sailing the Nieuw Amsterdam B2B Western/Eastern Caribbean Cruise 3/15/2015

Becoming 4 STAR on this cruise

When booking the lanai, our travel agent told us that we could only book a guaranteed lanai and we agreed to do that. I would have preferred to choose our cabin, but did not have that choice. I was wondering if this is how lanais are typically booked. If we don't get the lanai, we will be upgraded to a Vista Suite ($1500 more than the lanai per person). I really doubt if that will happen though.

We have recently booked two lengthy cruises on the Volendam and decided to book a lanai on both to save some money. On one cruise we were able to pick which lanai we wanted but on the other, only a guarantee was available.

Michelle.

We normally do balconies on other lines but the balcony price on HAL is so much more expensive. We did the Maasdam from Rio to Fort Lauderdale a couple of years ago and chose a lanai. We loved it. Yes we could only get a guarantee but were very lucky with our allocation. When sailing north in February, you really need to be on the port side of the ship, the starboard side was almost unbearably hot in the afternoon.

We had a lot of amusement with our allocated loungers outside our cabin. The plaque needed replacing and it was so difficult to read. Many times we went outside to find people on them. We sat inside sometimes laughing as people discussed sitting there - you could almost imagine what they were saying. Some people did not take kindly to being told they were our 'property'. My husband used to send me out to get rid of them, in the nicest possible way of course. He couldn't deal with it. :D

We normally do balconies on other lines but the balcony price on HAL is so much more expensive. We did the Maasdam from Rio to Fort Lauderdale a couple of years ago and chose a lanai. We loved it. Yes we could only get a guarantee but were very lucky with our allocation. When sailing north in February, you really need to be on the port side of the ship, the starboard side was almost unbearably hot in the afternoon.

We had a lot of amusement with our allocated loungers outside our cabin. The plaque needed replacing and it was so difficult to read. Many times we went outside to find people on them. We sat inside sometimes laughing as people discussed sitting there - you could almost imagine what they were saying. Some people did not take kindly to being told they were our 'property'. My husband used to send me out to get rid of them, in the nicest possible way of course. He couldn't deal with it. :D

Just that alone in regards to people sitting in your lounge chairs would make me not want to try a Lania. Who wants to patrol the chairs all the time. I will stick to a balcony.