Newly handicapped cruiser questions

dbogusch

Hello everyone!

I have a cruise booked on NCL Breakaway. I have cruised many times in the past but this will be my first where I have to be on a scooter and oxygen. I have the oxygen situation handled but my question is regarding a scooter. I will probably rent one rather than bringing my own but my question is regarding life onboard. I can walk some places but not long walks. Will the restaurants and show theaters have places where I can store the scooter while I am in the restaurant/theater? I don't need to drive the scooter right up to the table since I can walk short distances but where would I keep the scooter?

Any other tips on handicapped cruising would be appreciated.

Diane

Here's a link to the Special Interest Cruising boards here on Cruise Critic ;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

You will be able to pose questions and find lots of first hand information from experienced cruisers knowledgeable about the issues you face and your new needs. It's just great that you are able to adapt and continue to cruise. Hope all your future cruises are fantastic!

Rochelle

Hello everyone!

I have a cruise booked on NCL Breakaway. I have cruised many times in the past but this will be my first where I have to be on a scooter and oxygen. I have the oxygen situation handled but my question is regarding a scooter. I will probably rent one rather than bringing my own but my question is regarding life onboard. I can walk some places but not long walks. Will the restaurants and show theaters have places where I can store the scooter while I am in the restaurant/theater? I don't need to drive the scooter right up to the table since I can walk short distances but where would I keep the scooter?

Diane

Yes you can park your scooter nearby. Ask one of the crew who work at the venue you are attending and they will be happy to show you where you can temporarily store the scooter so it is out of the way.

At some places like the theater you can remain on the scooter (if that is what you wish) in the handicapper seating area that has some of the seats removed to accommodate wheelchairs and scooters.

My wife uses a scooter. She has on all the cruise lines.

There is no problem using it around the ship. You can ride right up to the table and a staff member will ride it to a parking spot for you, or you can just park it yourself and walk. It all depends on where the table is. Once the staff knows you ride a scooter, they will try and sit you close to a walking path, and not behind 5 tables, around the bend, and behind the pole...LOL

The show rooms will have a few designated spots for scooters with a few chairs for their friends/family to sit close by. Some parking spots are close, some not. I must say, most are not close to the stage, but adequate. Most of the time, I will find an end chair, park my wife there with the one next to her open, then go park the scooter for her. Then pick it up after the show. This helps us in securing a better seat. We are not in a race to get out anyways...we are on vacation!!! :)

I must say, that all the cruise lines are very accommodating in any way they can be for wheelchair and scooter passengers.

My wife can also walk just short distances and has balance issues. She would never make it on any ship without the aid of the scooter.

I am very grateful of the assistance provided on all the cruise lines to help/accommodate the handicap guests.

I am surprised you never saw scooters parked by the front entrance to a theater or restaurant.

Added tips would be when leaving the ship or coming back from a port, be careful of bottoming out on the gangway/brow. Let the staff do most of the work on getting you on and off the ship...meaning they will push you when needed on the gangway/brow. You will lean in time a good way that will get you over the hump on a brow and what will not work on getting you on and off the ship.

Another tip, get a long pole flag of some sort and put it on the back of the scooter so your group can spot you and other people around you will see it. It truly comes in handy when you are around the elevators or other large meeting areas of people. You are basically seen/spotted easier. The pole is about 5 feet long or so with an, in my wife's case, orange flag for people to see her and not walk over her.....It even helps me spot her when we get separated...:)

Our battery could last about 2 days on most cruises if we do not leave the ship. But I always charge the battery nightly.

Do not be afraid to say excuse me, excuse me.....EXCUSE ME!!!!. People are in their own zone and will need to be nudged when you are riding past them some times. That is where the flag will help also. They see it coming and will move out of the way or will move a chair for you, or move their kid for you....

I will say that having a scooter on a ship makes it soooooooo much more enjoyable...for you and your cohorts.

Having a scooter makes life easy peasy. Don't tell anyone but I might use my wife's in the morning while she is still asleep so I can get up to the buffet...its a long walk in most instances otherwise...:)

Thank you so much for your informative reply. I'm sure there were scooters last time but I just didn't notice them because I wasn't using one myself. I hate that I have to do it this time but it's part of the fun of my disease. :(

Thank you so much for your informative reply. I'm sure there were scooters last time but I just didn't notice them because I wasn't using one myself. I hate that I have to do it this time but it's part of the fun of my disease. :(

Just think of the scooter as a segway with a seat.....There are plenty of ports in the Caribbean offering segway tours. You can go without the added fee!!! :)

Hello everyone!

Diane

There is a special section of CruiseCritic for "disabled" cruise travel.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

You can read a LOT of good suggestions there, and ask any types of general or specific questions you have.

And contact the NCL Special Needs desk long in advance, and they'll work with you.

We've found them amazing, for dietary and other special needs!

AccessDesk@NCL.com

They'll send you a form to complete that will help them to figure out what needs you have, and how they can help.

Enjoy!

GeezerCouple