Alternative tips for staff

luvslexi

Hi cruisers. Recently DH and I had a conversation with my MIL/FIL re tipping staff aboard the ships. We usually give additional cash tips individually but the in-laws said that they have alternative tips such as candy and calling cards from the 99 cent store. I understand why those would be welcomed by the staff but am not comfortable with the idea just yet.

Opinions/Suggestions. GO!

BTW I started a thread earlier tonight and haven't seen it in the feed so I apologize if this comes through as a duplicate :)

They don't want or need that stuff. What they do want and need is simple - cash. They have a store on board that they can buy candy from if they want it. Phone cards are pretty obsolete now days with being able to call with apps over the Internet which they get at a discounted rate on board or free when they pull into port. Most crew also have prepaid US cell phones that they can call home for free when in port. No one uses calling cards anymore.

I'm sure back in the day, those things would have been greatly appreciated, but now they probably go right in the trash.

Hi cruisers. Recently DH and I had a conversation with my MIL/FIL re tipping staff aboard the ships. We usually give additional cash tips individually but the in-laws said that they have alternative tips such as candy and calling cards from the 99 cent store. I understand why those would be welcomed by the staff but am not comfortable with the idea just yet.

BTW I started a thread earlier tonight and haven't seen it in the feed so I apologize if this comes through as a duplicate :)

The crew likes the extra $$$$$

Calling cards are so out dated now & they get about all the sweets they would like when in port or from the Cherry On Top.

Cabin is way to small to have anything extra.

Char :)

Please show her this thread :D

She's also bull headed and a B so she wouldn't give a darn about anything that anyone else had to say. I just smile and nod when taking to her... she is one of 'those' people.

I give cash AND my shirts I wear on the cruise, t-shirts, button- up, etc . They appreciate & I don't have to pack. I usually get some of these items @ thrift stores real cheap, good stuff.

I give cash AND my shirts I wear on the cruise, t-shirts, button- up, etc . They appreciate & I don't have to pack. I usually get some of these items @ thrift stores real cheap, good stuff.

So you literally give the ships staff the shirt off your back :D

Surely theres nothing wrong with leaving an extra useful gift if you done everything else tip wise?I imagine lots of cruisers do not leave any extra at all.

I think that as long as the gift is perishable (chocolate) or useful (toiletries etc) then theres no problem. We all like extra money but sometimes, just sometimes when home is a long way away a little personal gift may be welcomed. I remember on our recent cruise a couple from Portugal said they left a bottle of hot sauce from Costa Rica for their cabin steward as he joked the ships food was a little bland sometimes...a nice touch.

If I were a room steward I would be a little insulted that people would think money was the only language I understood.

Edited by Velvetwater

You give them third hand dirty clothes? How crude and disgusting.

You could also leave your toothbrush and half used toothpaste as well.

I'm glad my boss pays me in cash.

Edited by cruzincurt

In some cultures/countries it is considered rude /degrading to leave cash tips. I would not do that in those places(Japan comes to mind). On board a ship that leaves from the USA which is a tipping culture, money is not considered a bad thing nor is it "insulting". It is just the way that things are done here.

No one would consider leaving little goodies or clothing to people that work in the USA on land! Now that would be insulting!

Its more the attitude being a bit uncomfortable for some....money if useful of course but if I was turning down a bed and overheard the passengers saying 'They only understand money' etc I would feel hurt that people would think of me that way.

Many cruise ships leave from the USA but their cabin staff is almost entirely from abroad and while they may have worked on ships for years they likely still have values from back home. In my own place of work we get paid a salary as normal but our head from time to time starts meetings handing out cupcakes/chocolates or bottles of wine and its a nice thing to do.

I wasn't saying 'just leave chocolates' but I really don't see the harm in paying your tips normally and leaving something else too.

Edited by Velvetwater

In some cultures/countries it is considered rude /degrading to leave cash tips. I would not do that in those places(Japan comes to mind). On board a ship that leaves from the USA which is a tipping culture, money is not considered a bad thing nor is it "insulting". It is just the way that things are done here.

No one would consider leaving little goodies or clothing to people that work in the USA on land! Now that would be insulting!

I have a couple of hundred employees and what I have found that people appreciate the most is money (no-brainer) but I have also found that they really enjoy a hand written note of appreciation. Often jobs are a grind, you feel like you are not making a difference, you feel like no one appreciates your work....a kind word and note of thanks can make a difference. Not in lieu of a tip of course, but in addition.

Usually when I cruise, I give cash tips to those who bring room service, bartenders, etc. Sometimes I make it fun by wrapping the money around a fun-sized candy bar. Nothing too crazy. I make sure that I do a hand written note of thanks plus let the management staff know when someone goes above and beyond.

Treating people like people and letting them know you truly appreciate what they do is appreciated. I had several conversations with staff over the years and they remember guests who are sincere and personable....they remember the ones that treat them like servants too. Shocking that people do that!