Nice-Mont-St-Michel-Normandy-Paris

bocajag

We will be ending our cruise in Nice France and wanted to make a few stops before we end our trip in Paris. We want to visit Mont-St-Michel and Normandy. This is our original game plan and looking for some input since we are first timers to France. We figured on spending 2 days and nights in Nice, rent a car and drive to Mont-St-Michel which is a 10+ hour drive arriving late in the day, spend the night, tour MSM the next day, another night at MSM (??) then head to Normandy for the day and off to Paris for 3 days and 2 nights before we head home. Does this itinerary make sense? Suggestions on a better plan of action would be greatly appreciated.

Well, having spent a lot of time in France (and in the areas you cite) we would recommend you revise your itinerary. I doubt if you can drive from Nice to Mt St Michel in much less then 12 hours. You do need to stop for fuel, at the toll booths (you are going to have more then 80 Euros in tolls) and to eat. That being said, we think that Mt St Michel is at its best after dark when you see the city lit-up as you approach. We have previously stayed in a motel a few miles outside of town and had a great view from our window. As to touring MSM, we think that half a day is probably more then enough time for most folks. Much of the city is just tacky tourist shops (and not so good restaurants). So you might want to plan on driving to Normandy (its a big area so you need to focus on a destination in the afternoon (having seen MSM during the morning).

When DW and I first visited the D-Day area it was in early October (after the prime tourist season). We drove over to Omaha Beach about 8am and were actually the only car within site for nearly an hour (when some tour buses arrived). Omaha can sometimes take on a Carnival atmosphere (think hoards of tourists, cotton candy, etc) so we loved getting there on a dreary foggy morn with no other people.

We would also suggest that when you drive from the D-Day part of Normandy to Paris you consider stopping in Giverny to visit Claude Monet's home (and gardens). Also be cognizant the driving in Paris is not fun for most.....and parking can be a nightmare.

Hank

If the OP wants to miss out all that fun driving in Paris :D, he can return the car at a major train station (say Rouen, Nanterre, maybe Chartres, etc) and take the train into Paris. Most car rental companies have desks at the train stations.

If the OP wants to miss out all that fun driving in Paris :D, he can return the car at a major train station (say Rouen, Nanterre, maybe Chartres, etc) and take the train into Paris. Most car rental companies have desks at the train stations.

Bonjour Marazul, Always love to see your wise comments. We have oft driven into and out of Paris and it is always an "adventure." Might even be more fun then Disneyland Paris :).

Hank

Salut, Hank,

I always look for your comments and take notes for future adventures.

Who needs Disneyland when you can have the Etoile?

M

Hmm. So here is my question of the day (for which I have no answer). How many lanes of traffic do they have at L'Etoile?

Hank

How many cars can you squeeze in side by side?

Yeah, that is the impression I got when trying to drive through that area. Its all kind of funny. We usually see lots of Police in the area and they seem as confused as we tourists :). Somehow it all seems to work which is just one more charm of Paris.

Hank

Bocajag

First of all, MSM is in Normandy. Personally, I would make an overnight stop on my way from Nice to Normandy as it is a long way. France has lots of nice B and Bs which are not expensive. Have a look on gitesdefrance.com

As already stated, you probably need only half a day at MSM. You have to park in a designated area which costs 12€ and take a shuttle bus to the mount itself. The surrounding countryside is quite pretty.

You need to plan how long you want to stay in Normandy and what you want to see. There is a lot to see around the DDay beaches and Bayeux and the tapestry are also well worth a visit.

Monet's garden is well worth a visit as mentioned before.