Should I bring a french press? NCL Star Oceanview

Kmcspoon

Our family has 2 adjoining rooms on the NCL Star. This is not our first cruise, but first time with NCL.

We are all coffee lovers, but since we are not in a suite, we understand we do not have coffee makers in the rooms.

I never consider myself a coffee "snob", but really enjoy a good cup of coffee. Since we are on quite a long cruise, would it be a wise idea to bring some ground coffee and a french press?

We do have to fly to LA, then home from Copenhagen, so wonder what a french press looks like to the TSA? :eek:

Then, the question is, how do I get hot water! I would buy a coffee card if one was offered. We don't drink soda or alcohol.

Any coffee lovers willing to give me some advice?

Obviously, I will adjust no matter what, and enjoy the cruise.

Thank you, and yes, I realize this is a bit of a frivolous question! ;)

Edited by Kmcspoon

Well, our cruise is next month, so I can't help you with the current state of their coffee, but I will say that if we weren't in a suite, I'd probably be bringing my own French press and our favorite coffee. There was a recent post about the downgrade in their teabags, so I wonder if the coffee quality will follow?

I have a small, personal size French press that I sometimes travel with. I bought it from Starbucks, and it's about 16 ounces and is all metal, quite durable, and doubles as a travel mug. I love it, works great. I'm sure you can find them online, and they aren't bulky and are easy to clean.

Just my two cents, from a fellow coffee lover.

I do the same when traveling to a destination with suspected mediocre coffee. I also have a mini electric "hot pot" (think college, 1970s) that boils water. No idea if this would be allowed but it has an auto shutoff, so safe, and it's pretty small - sort of looks like a thermal coffee-to-go but with plug.

This might work for you: Bodum Bistro 17-Ounce Mini Cordless Electric Water Kettle

Edited by DachshundsRule

If you have a balcony cabin you should have a small coffee maker included. But if you want to make your own with a French press, (or make tea), you can order a pot of hot water from room service free of charge. :D

I believe that if you have a small pot with auto shut-off it is probably allowed. Check the website for verification.

Edited by JuneauWhatIMean

We always travel with either an Aeropress, a French Press or a pour over. Sometimes all 3! Order a tea set up.from room service, it will be piping hot water and cups! The only thing we add is some sandwich bags to dispose of grounds, to keep the mess factor down for storeroom attendants. Zero problems with TSA, or in any foreign airports!

I do the same when traveling to a destination with suspected mediocre coffee. I also have a mini electric "hot pot" (think college, 1970s) that boils water. No idea if this would be allowed but it has an auto shutoff, so safe, and it's pretty small - sort of looks like a thermal coffee-to-go but with plug.

This might work for you: Bodum Bistro 17-Ounce Mini Cordless Electric Water Kettle

Nothing with a heating element is allowed, with the exception of hair care appliances. Regardless of whether the appliance has an auto shutoff or not, it is not completely "safe", nor does a UL rating prove the appliance safe to leave plugged in when unattended. UL generally recommends that heating appliances be unplugged when not in use. Mr. Coffee almost went out of business due to house fires caused when their auto shutoff switches failed and the coffee makers melted.

A French press is a good alternative, you would have to get hot water from room service. I appreciate the poster who brings bags to dispose of the grounds, as otherwise this is an additional mess for the cabin steward.

Coffee on NCL ranges from terrible to undrinkable, I find. Last cruise was undrinkable and I bought coffee from the Atrium Cafe every day, although I once swore I would never stoop to buying coffee. I would never bring coffee making equipment, because I'm too lazy to pack all that stuff, but I have resigned myself to having to pay.

What kind of coffee maker is supplied by NCL in mini-suites? Is it one of those single serve Kuerig types? Or is it one of those small Mr Coffee types?

We were in a Star mini-suite this fall and the coffee maker was a small Mr Coffee type. Another option for hot water is the buffet area.

We were on deck 11, just one floor under the buffet so we never even used the in room coffee maker, just went up one floor to the buffet. We thought that the on board coffee was fine.

Add me to the list of people who bring a French press or pourover. While the press does make better coffee, the pourover was pretty good (found one that allows the coffee to "steep" then pours through once you actually set it on the cup) and was easier to clean up. I must have good coffee in the mornings, and I have to be on a cruise that had decent coffee anywhere unless you were paying for an Americano in one of the coffee venues. Agree, either order room service or run up to the buffet, depending on where the cabin was located.

In fact, the first time I brought a press, we were right below the buffet, so I would run up the stairs with my press in hand. People were smelling my wonderful coffee and I could have sold it a hundred times by the end of the cruise, LOL.

Well, our cruise is next month, so I can't help you with the current state of their coffee, but I will say that if we weren't in a suite, I'd probably be bringing my own French press and our favorite coffee. There was a recent post about the downgrade in their teabags, so I wonder if the coffee quality will follow?

I have a small, personal size French press that I sometimes travel with. I bought it from Starbucks, and it's about 16 ounces and is all metal, quite durable, and doubles as a travel mug. I love it, works great. I'm sure you can find them online, and they aren't bulky and are easy to clean.

Just my two cents, from a fellow coffee lover.

Great idea. My hubby must have his coffee each morning. I bought him one of those Starbucks presses a couple of years ago when he complained about the coffee at work. I will make sure he packs it with some coffee for our cruise.

I am planning to bring a travel french press for our cruise next month. Since we have a balcony stateroom, we should have a standard coffee maker in the room. Has anyone ever just used the coffee machine to heat the water and then pour it into the french press? Seems easier than ordering or tracking down hot water.

I am planning to bring a travel french press for our cruise next month. Since we have a balcony stateroom, we should have a standard coffee maker in the room. Has anyone ever just used the coffee machine to heat the water and then pour it into the french press? Seems easier than ordering or tracking down hot water.

Another idea is the Starbucks VIA individual packets of instant coffee. I did not realize we would have a coffee maker in our balcony so I brought them, enjoyed them in the afternoons using the hot water from the machine. Sometimes I brought the VIA to breakfast and people were jealous, lol

I'm not sure the water would be hot enough to pour into the press from the coffee maker. If it is a Mr. Coffee, I think the water would probably have to sit on the heating element for a bit to get hot enough.

We are in Ocean view adjoining rooms, so will not even have that as an option.

I guess I am an addict. I've already weighed my french press and counted how many Tablespoons are in a pound of ground coffee, and secretly wished I could take my coffee grinder for whole beans instead of ground coffee! :p

Ok. Laugh if you will. I see other people talking about bringing Rum runners on board, or counting wine bottles and such...so addictions come in many forms!

Thanks for all the great replies. VERY helpful!

I would think that the water from the in room maker would be hotter than water from room service, but, as you indicated, you don't have that as an option, so it sounds like dealing with room service hot water or taking the press to the buffet are you only options.

As far as bringing whole bean coffee, why not get a hand grinder? I carry an Aeropress, water kettle and hand grinder when I travel so I can have my home roast coffee. I haven't bothered with this on the ship since I can't bring the kettle and don't like coffee prepared with water less that 190 degrees. I haven't bothered to take the temp of water from room service, but I doubt it is much above 180, probably lower than that.

We always travel with either an Aeropress, a French Press or a pour over. Sometimes all 3! Order a tea set up.from room service, it will be piping hot water and cups! The only thing we add is some sandwich bags to dispose of grounds, to keep the mess factor down for storeroom attendants. Zero problems with TSA, or in any foreign airports!

I thought I wrote this! :D I do exactly the same thing! (even bring sandwich bags too)

The water from room service does come hot enough.

I also bring an electric kettle- Bodum makes a small one. I boil the water I bring on the ship.

If coffee is important- bring your own equipment. Coffee sucks on the ship!

Edited by tinawhitecar

I've read here on CC that some people in insides or OV rooms have asked their cabin steward if they could have a coffee maker and one was given to them. Just an idea for you to have hot water. It never hurts to ask

French press coffee is available in the MDR at breakfast. Not sure about the other times. We got it every morning on our Gem cruise and found it to be somewhat better than the normal excuse for coffee that they served. I really don't understand why NCL has done nothing to improve their coffee.

French Press in the MDR at breakfast? I only thought that was for the suite passengers at Cagney's. I never thought to ask for it in the MDR.

French Press in the MDR at breakfast? I only thought that was for the suite passengers at Cagney's. I never thought to ask for it in the MDR.

Wow, I never realized that either. I loved the French press coffee in Cagney's when we had a Suite....it would be awesome to get it in the MDR.

I, too, will be asking about French Press in the MDR!

BTW, just how does one clean up a press in the cabin? I would think even if you dump into the trash some grounds will end up in the drain when you rinse it, possibly causing problems...

It was in the MDR on the Gem in 2012. In fact it was the waiter who asked me if I wanted the french press. This past cruise on the Dawn we were in a suite so I can't comment on the MDR.