is a change a cancellation

tlwfun9

ok so I used an online travel company and booked my cruise I lookedto make a change from an inside to an ocean view and was informed this is considered a cancellation and rebooking this I would be charged a 100.00 cancellation fee to do this. although I do not consider this a cancellation and I am still over 100 days out. Is this normal? I think I made a mistake by not booking directly but it seems strange everything else has been ok so far with the agency I just feel like this is a slap for something I was going to spend more on which would make the comapny more money

Assuming you haven't made final payment, I'm going to guess that this fee is being charged by the agency and NOT by NCL. My understanding is that agencies get their special pricing by buying blocks of rooms and then selling them to the public. I guess that changes on your part somehow affect their bottom line. Have you read the contract you got from the agency? I'm not totally up on this as I either use a private TA or book on my own, but I'm sure someone else reading this can provide you with a definitive answer. Good luck!:)

Technically any change of cabin is done with a cancel and re-book process. Some TAs charge a fee for this, some don't. Unfortunately your TA does and because they own your booking, there is not much you or NCL can do about it.

You are right in that the TA is out no money - providing they have an oceanview in their inventory - yes these online TAs often book large blocks of cabins - NCL give them substantial discounts for doing so. The TA has about 6mos to sell the cabins or NCL takes them back. There is a possibility that the inventory of oceanview cabins in the TA's inventory are already sold and they will have to go back to NCL and get a cabin at a higher rate.

But more than likely the TA is simply exercising their right to add a cancelation fee.

Now you can not do anything about that..just pay the 100usd and get the oceanview.next time though book with another ta that doesnt charge for these things.there are a lot of tas that do t charge anything.this ta gains 100usd more from you now though they will lose you as a future client.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, you do have options.

If you can get your money back and only get hit with a $100 cancellation fee call NCL and see what price you can get. It may be worth it to switch if the price at NCL is as good or lower. You'll be paying the $100 either way to get the room you want. You'll likely have better piece of mind if your directly with NCL.

Just make sure you understand your options, fees, etc. and make the best move.

We called a TA recently and I asked about the cancellation fee. They have a $100 fee, but we booked anyway as we liked the deal. Upon looking at the contract terms, I noticed the fine print stated that any change could be considered a "cancellation" under the contract terms and invoke the $100 fee. Uh Oh. I called back to inquire if price drops prior to final or cabin changes could incur a charge and was assured that they did not. But, note to self, be sure to ask about whether changes are considered cancellations as far as fees are concerned in the future.

Looks like you will have to pay the $100 either way.

After checking what it would cost for a NEW booking with NCL or another TA, here is what I would do.

CANCEL THE FIRST CRUISE and pay the $100. Then book a cruise with someone else that will treat you better. And, politely tell them why you are canceling.

ok so I used an online travel company and booked my cruise I lookedto make a change from an inside to an ocean view and was informed this is considered a cancellation and rebooking this I would be charged a 100.00 cancellation fee to do this. although I do not consider this a cancellation and I am still over 100 days out. Is this normal? I think I made a mistake by not booking directly but it seems strange everything else has been ok so far with the agency I just feel like this is a slap for something I was going to spend more on which would make the comapny more money

This has nothing to do with NCL and everything to do with the TA. You should just cancel and rebook yourself without fooling with the TA. Sure they get your $100 but they lose the commission.