Whatever happened to Martinique?

stones902

Unlike many cruise passengers, we enjoyed our stops at Martinique whenever we did the S. Caribbean run. While I know the island is decidedly French, we enjoyed the cultural differences and we found the island to be beautiful to boot.

It seems like the cruise lines are pretty desperate to add additional destination ports (see Belize and Costa Maya) to attract new customers. That's why I can't understand why they don't stop in Martinique anymore. Does anyone know if the cruise lines or the government of Martinique effectively stopped cruise ship traffic to the island?

Your comments are welcome....this is just my opinion.

We are booked on a Princess cruise (Sea Princess) in April 2006. Martinique is one of our ports so I know Princess still goes there. We've been there once before and frankly didn't care for it, but we're determined to go with a different attitude this time.

Let's see - snooty shop owners; population with an attitude; frequent strikes; filthy city - sounds like what I am looking for on vacation! I agree that the scenary is beautiful but there has to be a comfort zone associated with the scenary. If the cruise line gets complaints about a port in sufficient numbers then the cruise line is not going to keep the port on many (if any) of its itineraries. The answer to your question is that a large number (majority) of passengers do not like Martinique so the cruise lines dropped it from their itineraries.

We were on the Carnival Legend this past Spring. One of our stops was in Martinique. The other 2 were Barbados and St. Maarten.

Out of the 3: Martinique is my LEAST liked. Did not care for it at all. If I was to do another cruise with a stop there, I would most likely stay on the ship.....Karen

We have visited Martinique several times. Our first visit in 1996 was enjoyable . We had a wonderful cab driver and saw quite a bit of the island. The natural beauty of the island was wonderful, but on several later visits, it appeared cruise ship visitors were less welcome. The cab drivers drove very, very fast and we felt tried to scare passengers with their reckless driving. On one visit to the island, we were traveling with someone who was handicapped. One driver refused to transport us to town because it would take too much time to load the gentleman's wheelchair. Another cab driver heard him and told us he would come back for us after he delivered his passengers to town. He returned and took us on a tour of the island. He was very gracious and appeared to be very embarassed at the other driver's behavior. So as in every place there are wonderful people, but the majority appeared not to want tourism (especially Americans). The shop clerks really didn't care if they waited on you. Martinique is an overseas territory of France. I don't think the people of Martinique need the tourist business and would like it better if the ships would not come to their island.

You have to get out of the city in Martinique. Find yourself an English speaking driver with an air conditioned cab, and tour the whole island. It's beautiful going through the rain forest etc. We invited our driver for lunch, and he took us to a wonderful restaurant half way around the island. We shared the cab with a couple we had met onboard. and it was not too expensive.

Ginnie

We were on the Carnival Legend this past Spring. One of our stops was in Martinique. The other 2 were Barbados and St. Maarten.

Out of the 3: Martinique is my LEAST liked. Did not care for it at all. If I was to do another cruise with a stop there, I would most likely stay on the ship.....Karen

We did that Legend run twice.

The first time we liked Martinique, the second time was when the new Iraq thing started and there was all that hostility between France and the USA and man what a difference. Did not feel welcome at all that time.

I wonder if that might be contributing factor to the OP's observations

I have been to Martinique several times. I have seen both sides of the island. The French side is alot like Montreal. Have always headed for Orient Bay and never had a bad time there. We consistenly use the Bikini Beach area for our day in the sun and surf. Never had a problem with taxis, etc. The ride across the island from the ship is beautiful. Lucked out with nice cabbies each time.

Just be aware - Orient Bay is clothing optional and gay friendly. If you have an open mind you can enjoy the beach there. It is beautiful and fun. Met up with alot of other cruise ship people there. I highly recommend it.

I have been to Martinique several times. I have seen both sides of the island. The French side is alot like Montreal. Have always headed for Orient Bay and never had a bad time there. We consistenly use the Bikini Beach area for our day in the sun and surf. Never had a problem with taxis, etc. The ride across the island from the ship is beautiful. Lucked out with nice cabbies each time.

Just be aware - Orient Bay is clothing optional and gay friendly. If you have an open mind you can enjoy the beach there. It is beautiful and fun. Met up with alot of other cruise ship people there. I highly recommend it.

I'm sorry:confused: ...but the OP was talking about Martinique not St. Maarten. Martinique is ALL French, St. Maarten is half French half Dutch.

We did that Legend run twice.

The first time we liked Martinique, the second time was when the new Iraq thing started and there was all that hostility between France and the USA and man what a difference. Did not feel welcome at all that time.

I wonder if that might be contributing factor to the OP's observations

Probably!! However, no big loss since, "Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without your accordion.''

Martinique is a beautiful island and the residents of the island were ALL kind, polite and just fantastic to us. Of course, alot has to do with YOUR attitude too. If you go assuming the worst and acting like the "ugly American stereotype tourist" you may find it not to your liking.

We have been there twice, the last time on the Sun Princess in April. We took a tour (a/c van) with 2 other couples and had a great time. The driver spoke English as well as his native French. My husband and I speak French as well so we really enjoyed the entire tour as did the other couples.

The shopkeepers in Fort-de-France were all polite and friendly to us. I wanted to try a shirt on in a store that had no dressing room and the manager let me go into her office to try it on.

Perhaps speaking French helped, but we did not notice anyone being treated rudely by anyone at any place we were. Yes, it is a different culture, but that is what you travel for, isn't it? If not, stay on the ship.

Some of the taxi drivers were a little aggressive as we exited the ship, but we have encountered that in many places in the world in our travels, not just in Martinique or the Caribbean. That is part of travel. Quite honestly, the taxi driver we had in Ft. Lauderdale going from a/p to hotel was clearly an unhappy person who hated his job and our ride was quite "uncomfortable" you might say.

I think if you go with an open mind and plan on enjoying yourself you will, no matter what the destination.

We've been to Martinique several times and we have enjoyed it every time. It's one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean, IMO. The people have never been rude, but we have had taxi drivers who spoke very little English, but with my very little French, we got by. It has deteriorated over the past few years as unemployment has risen and the island has become increasingly poorer. As for their attitude being influenced by the war in Iraq, I don't believe so. I would doubt that anyone living in Martinique would care about what's happening on the other side of the world. I think their attitude would be more influenced by people with attitudes like RichardK

Probably!! However, no big loss since, "Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without your accordion.''

Oh well I took that as a clever joke.

I don't think our problem was the language because dw speaks fluent French and was having quite the conversation with our taxi driver.

Wait, maybe that was it

She was probably saying "That guy in the back seat is my dad, let's give him a hard time ok?"

I would have never known

I would doubt that anyone living in Martinique would care about what's happening on the other side of the world. I think their attitude would be more influenced by people with attitudes like RichardK

Maybe.........

Had a West Point "upbringing". Have seen the performance of our NATO Ally first-hand, not to mention that history has written volumes. I thought the remark about the accordion was not only humorous, but in fact, kind!!

Now if you want to talk about wine & cheeses, I'm a fan, big time.......

Oh no, this is our 25th Wedding Anniversary Cruise. It's me and dw. They'll be home minding the store!

Hey Chris, Have learned so much from you-many thanks. We'll be doing the Tahitian b2b in Nov 06 for our 25th anniversary. With air from Miami this is one expensive trip !! Hoping DH thinks I'm worth it :rolleyes:

Hey Chris, Have learned so much from you-many thanks. We'll be doing the Tahitian b2b in Nov 06 for our 25th anniversary. With air from Miami this is one expensive trip !! Hoping DH thinks I'm worth it :rolleyes:

No kiddin on the expense! Do be sure to post a review when you get back, I'd love to hear all about it.

The way I look at it is if she put up with me for this long I should be home free and good to go for another 25.

Somehow being married 50 years doesn't sound like so long now and the next 25 have gotta be easier than the last.

:)

I realise we are hijacking the post, but a tip about the air travel if you are flying Air Tahiti out of Los Angeles. Make sure that your flight originates in LA and is not part of a through flight from Paris. Everyone we spoke to that had the Paris flight didn't get the seating they thought that they had reserved. The seating was reassigned in Paris without their knowledge. The 1:00 pm flight out of LA gets you in Papeete at around 7:30.

The next 25 will pass by quickly. This December will be our 48th anniversary.

I only visited Martinque once around '93 or'94 and I did not like it. I must admit that we did not do a tour into the country side because my wife had swollen feet at the time and had difficulty walking. Maybe a by-pass of the city would have left a different impression. I do remember how impressed we were with St. Thomas after Martinque and Antigua. We prefer Western Carribean or Mex. Riviera to Eastern side.

John L.

• 9 months later...
We have friends who are from Paris and are very French. As he puts is in his accents ........"Ze people of Martinique are VERY rude........we are French and we will not even go there!"

Wow... that's quite a comment. We were there in Jan and found the locals to be very accomodating and friendly. Of course, a simple 'bonjour' helped to go a long way...

We were in Martinique in March of this year (Sea Princess). It is a very pretty island. We knew ahead of time from friends that had been there also and comments on these boards that the people are not always freindly toward visitors. But went with an open mind and very good manners on our part. We were quiet , polite and respectful of the people on the island, we enjoyed seeing the island, but that being said found the people there to be somewhat rude and not in the least friendly. I probably wouldn't plan another cruise that stopped there. But each person has a different experience, so you need to check it out for your self, you might have a wonderful time.

Happy cruising

Cori

Archived