Whatever happened to Martinique?

stones902

As someone previously said, the visitor's attitude has a lot to do with it....we were there aboard the Sun and while walking back to the ship, had to stop at a intersection to wait for the stoplight to change. Beside us was a couple in their 30s and he stomped his feet and looked at her and said "Why the he!! can't they speak English like the rest of us?"

We will be back there next March on the Sea.....

My In laws went on a RCI cruise that stopped at Martinique. Mom loved it and thought the shops were "very cute" and had a wonderful time,

My father in law, a quiet and unassuming man, said something so out of character and so funny..I have never forgotten it. While Mom was recounting her lovely day of shopping and sightseeing (she went on for about 15 minutes), we turned to Dad - who had not said a word and asked what he thought of the island and he said "Martinique is French for "stay on the boat"...and that was that.

Maybe you had to know him or it's one of those ya had to be there moments but it still brings a smile to my face...

We visited Martinique in January (with WestCoast - hi Tod & Jeff) and found it to be enjoyable. The people were cordial and respectful, but then again we tried to be as well. The cosmopolitan atmosphere in the city was a plus as it added another level of variety to the ports. It is, IMHO, no better or worse than any other port we have visited.

It looks like a few (large minority to the total visitors volume) had a bad experience but I wonder, in reading their posts, how much of it was self produced (or the reaction to earlier cruisers). We found that if you go as a visitor, rather than the demanding tourist, time can be much more enjoyable.

Reading messages on I find the word "rude" used to describe cruise line customer service reps more frequently than in other situations and they aren't in Martinique!! :eek:

We are booked on the Sea for 2/17/07, and Martinique is on the itinerary. We are looking forward to visiting there as well as several other ports we have not been to before. We really hope the negative assessments in this thread will turn out to be the opposite of what we find when we finally get there.

We are still looking forward to our first visit.

Americans and the French have a problem "thing" because we are TOO similar on TOO many levels rather than different... France and Martinique are beautiful...

That said, we all know George S. Patton was all American, as he said,

"I'd rather have a division of Germans in front of me than a division of Frenchman behind me!"

I LOVE their food, they really know how to cut the cheese!

We have friends who are from Paris and are very French. As he puts is in his accents ........"Ze people of Martinique are VERY rude........we are French and we will not even go there!"

You got that right. I have been there once and will never go again. If that is in the ships itinerary, I will stay on the ship. Rude....Rude....Rude!

Archived