WHEN to buy travel insurance??

belle2

No, that won't work. Policies usually have wording that says something like this is to cover the first booking for that sailing to prevent people from doing exactly that. At that point, you have an increased likelihood of filing a claim

The best time to buy insurance is before you need it.

Thanks!!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I buy it as soon as I make final payment because if I have to cancel by that time, there is no $$ lost.

If I buy the insurance prior to final payment and decide to cancel, I lose the insurance payment.

Is my logic wrong?

I've canceled a couple times with the insurance and never lost the insurance. I always got a set amount of time to use it for another trip.

I believe it was TravelGuard I did this with.

Bill

My cruise is in November 2015. I will be buying third party insurance. I can cancel up to 75 days in advance and I will only lose my deposit. So when is the best time to buy? Now or wait closer to final payment or the 75 day mark? I don't have shore excursions booked and want to include them in the insurance. My gut says wait until I know how much shore excursions will cost and I haven't decided if we will fly or drive to the port. If. We fly I will want to include the cost of my airline tix and shore excursion in the insurance I buy. Thoughts?

Many of the above posts raise good and very important points.

Each policy has its own terms/conditions/restrictions.

Please call STEVE at

TripInsuranceStore.com

We've used him a lot (and had a big claim paid).

And we might change insurance for some of the trips to the type where you purchase at final payment (or full payment of largest part - cruise or air, etc.) and that DOES have the waiver for pre-existing condition exclusion.

However, if one wants the CFAR at that later date, *that* becomes extremely expensive (so we wouldn't use this policy if we thought that might be necessary).

There are pros and cons to different types of trips.

One "con" to waiting is something we faced:

DH got sick (big trip cancelled), and we could not make any deposits for several months because he wasn't fit to travel at that time (although we certainly expected a recovery, and that happened, thank goodness).

So we lost out on some trips where cabins we wanted filled up, etc.

Once he had the physician's "okay to travel" letter in his hand, we then booked several trips :)

And we've completed 2 of them thus far.

GeezerCouple