Thanks for the tip - Canadian vs US dollars

Tesser26

Hi all,

Just wanted to extend a big thank you to this CC board for the great cost-saving tip!

Last week I booked my first NCL cruise, and started reading these boards. I read that NCL gives a better exchange rate if you book in Canadian funds (I originally booked in US Dollars). So today I phoned NCL and spoke to an agent who confirmed the exchange rate of 0.9 (exchange rate is actually at 0.79 now). So I cancelled my booking and rebooked in Canadian funds and saved $900+ dollars for my family of 5!!! Wow!

So thank you... and a friendly reminder to other Canadians to book in Canadian funds.

Looking forward to trying out NCL!

sorry for being ignorant on the topic.. but if i am US based, how do you do that? does it require you book directly with NCL instead of a TA (I booked thru a TA).. and then do you lose anything on the credit card side when you do this?

thanks

Hi all,

Just wanted to extend a big thank you to this CC board for the great cost-saving tip!

Last week I booked my first NCL cruise, and started reading these boards. I read that NCL gives a better exchange rate if you book in Canadian funds (I originally booked in US Dollars). So today I phoned NCL and spoke to an agent who confirmed the exchange rate of 0.9 (exchange rate is actually at 0.79 now). So I cancelled my booking and rebooked in Canadian funds and saved $900+ dollars for my family of 5!!! Wow!

So thank you... and a friendly reminder to other Canadians to book in Canadian funds.

Looking forward to trying out NCL!

Wow! That's a fantastic rate! Mine is 1.1628. I wonder if a phone call to NCL is in order. My final payment isn't until the end of April. Guess I'd have to cancel and rebook?

Wow! That's a fantastic rate! Mine is 1.1628. I wonder if a phone call to NCL is in order. My final payment isn't until the end of April. Guess I'd have to cancel and rebook?

I also got the 1.1628 rate. I was happy with that. I just emailed my guy at NCL asking why people booking before and after me got a way better rate. It seems that the 1.1628 was only during one week. I'll let you know what he says.

Our next one was booked before our dollar dived but we have 2 more coming up which we will look into. We are far out enough that this could mean we don't lose any promo's as well. Thank you for posting this.

We booked our December Epic cruise through an US TA. If we go online and book excursions and such can we take advantage of the good exchange rate?

To get the CDN exchange rate, you have to book through a CDN TA. I had to cancel with my TA and rebook myself.

I too had no idea that NCL gave a better exchange rate until I started reading about it here on CC. For my short duration cruise in January I booked with NCL directly online in US $. When I was booking our March break cruise the Canadian $ had tanked even more and I was very happy to book with my Canadian TA and get the 1.16 rate. Now that its down to 1.10 I may have to book another cruise!;)

We booked our Alaska cruise last year in Feb. and the Pacific coastal last Nov. all in Cdn $. We just recently pre paid the DSC @ the $12 pp pd rate via "my account" at NCL's site and my CC was charged in Cdn $.

All of the above is in Cdn $ with no worries about the exchange, we did this thru our PTA here in Canada. I can't mention the name here but the first two letters of their name are Xp****cruisesh*pcentersdotca ;).

cheers...the Ump...:D

Hi, This is great information. We recently came back from a trip and the exchange rate was brutal on our credit card bill.

I am confused though by how this works. I am about to book a trip - so I tell my PCC that I want to book in Canadian $. I have a FCC to use so I don't need to worry about the deposit but do want to lock in the better exchange rate. So when the time come for final payment - this is where I am confused.

I booked in Canadian, NCL converts it to US based on the exchange rate that was used at the time of booking. But what do I see charged on my credit card? That is where I am confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jai

So when I booked, I got the 1.16 rate (booked in CDN over the phone thanks to the message boards). Now that the rate has gone down, should I call to cancel and rebook for even greater savings? (Family of 5, so the discount is much appreciated!)