Jewel Transatlantic – Shoreguy Blogs - 4 September 2005

shoreguy

I'd like to add my thanks for sharing your trip with all of us. There must be a special place reserved for you in cruiser's heaven for your information and generosity in sharing it with us. Like everyone else, I'm greedy for more but understand it will take you a few days to organize your photos. Welcome back.

I'd like to add my thanks for sharing your trip with all of us. There must be a special place reserved for you in cruiser's heaven for your information and generosity in sharing it with us. Like everyone else' date=' I'm greedy for more but understand it will take you a few days to organize your photos. Welcome back.[/quote']

Not as long as you might think - many pics are online already - need to think about unpacking now :D

Link below

For Shoreguy...

You never cease to amaze me...you've just gotten home from your cruise and you've already posted pictures for all us envious cruisers to "enjoy". But, the hour is late and I must get to sleep, so I'll look forward to viewing your transatlantic voyage in the light of day tomorrow. Thanks for giving me something wonderous to look forward to!

Debjo

Thank you Shoreguy for such a GREAT daily log on your Jewel cruise!!! It was a pleasure to read and I LOVED your pictures!!! That last sunset one was truly AWESOME!!!:D Thank You!!!

Goldryder..... Thank YOU for the picture of the two ships!! Where did you find that "cam" web site???

Suesan:) :) :)

SHOREGUY: LOVED the pix! .... what is the long(big) straw gathering????

~D

One of those things that start on a roll call. We decided to meet informally at 6 for a drink. I said I was buying but bring your own straw. We ended bringing straws to help find each other at the Star Bar.

A virtual cruise with shoreguy is the next best thing to physically being there. Just make sure to have a tropical drink complete with umbrella in your hand while reading blogs.

I enjoyed your blogs as well as your pictures which happily took me about 1 hour to view. The Jewel does resemble the Dawn a great deal. You mentioned there were things that you liked more about the Dawn. I'd like to know what exactly are you referring to out of curiousity. Fortunately the pool area looks more spacious. In looking at your pictures I have so many questions. An adults only deck area? Bridge viewing? I'm happy about both.

I'm even more excited about my cruise which won't happen until April 2006. Ugh!!! But I'll be hopping over to the pier tomorrow to see her while she's in NYC.

I look forward to reading more about your trip.

Shoreguy: Nice picture of the room. How did you get the two separate beds? When you look up info on that room, it is listed as a queen bed. I would like to know because I often take friends or my children with me on cruises and I have been disappointed that I the only Penthouse suite I can get is the AB, so that we have separate beds. I am booked into the A3 on the Jewel in November with my sister so that we can have separate beds and be in a courtyard villa room.

Enjoy your day in Newport.

Marilyn

The only advantage of the HC AE is the twin beds. The other AEs have a true queen and can not be separated. The reason I booked what was a BA was this very issue. I turned down an upsell to the owners suite since I did not want to share a king with my adult son.

As you pointed out until you get to the AB every suite is a true king or queen.

A virtual cruise with shoreguy is the next best thing to physically being there. Just make sure to have a tropical drink complete with umbrella in your hand while reading blogs.

I enjoyed your blogs as well as your pictures which happily took me about 1 hour to view. The Jewel does resemble the Dawn a great deal. You mentioned there were things that you liked more about the Dawn. I'd like to know what exactly are you referring to out of curiousity. Fortunately the pool area looks more spacious. In looking at your pictures I have so many questions. An adults only deck area? Bridge viewing? I'm happy about both.

I'm even more excited about my cruise which won't happen until April 2006. Ugh!!! But I'll be hopping over to the pier tomorrow to see her while she's in NYC.

I look forward to reading more about your trip.

Things I liked better about the Dawn. Here are 10 quick things in no special order.

1. The Dawn art work - added class - all the stayway pictures on the Jewel are giant wallpaper photos.

2. The wood trim - To much dark grainy panels on the Jewel that does not look as nice or as real as the light cherry on the Dawn.

3. The funiture in public areas - looks really cool on the Jewel - But the one question I heard from many on the Jewel: Have you found a comfortable chair anywhere inside?

4. I miss Impressions the third dining room it is now the Bistro.

5. Dining with the Masters in the Dawn Bistro.

6. Pearly Kings - What a waste. It is now the art gallery and internet cafe on the Jewel

7. The Spa - more treatment areas on the Jewel but the loss of the indoor pool area and those wonderful aft facing teak loungers.

8. The Cigar Bar - on the Jewel it is not enclosed and sits between the entrance to the Bistro and the piano at bar central.

9. Blue Lagoon - On the Jewel it is on deck 8 no outside seating. It is more formal and in fact just an extension of Tango's. At night you really can't run in there in your shorts or jeans for a quick bit. They in fact use most of the area for additional seating for Tango's at night. The good news it will not be the late night hang out for teens.

10. The number one thing I like better about the Dawn it sails out of NYC :)

I could and will post an even longer list of things I liked better.

Keep in mind the adult sundeck is small and designed for clothing optional sun bathing.

Shoreguy, Since Blue Lagoon is more formal, where's a good place for a late night snack. Buffet? That all?

Blue laggoon is open 7X24. Late night no problem. We came back from port and stopped in in jeans just afer five. That had about 6 tables set up as Blue Lagoon.

As others starting coming in dressed for dinner I felt I should be dressed better. It is not that it is formal just not the dinner feel that the Dawn has.

Shoreguy: Thanks for answering my question about the twin beds in the AE. It's and AB or A3 or with a good upsell the Garden Villa for my travel with my friends and children.

I totally agree with all of the things you like better on the Dawn. I can add one of my own to that list. I missed the padded bench seating on the balcony of the Stardust theater. The benchs are more comfortable than the theater seating.

My DH really missed the movie theater.

What deck is the adult sundeck? Is that on deck 14? I didn't see in on the Jewel. It was clothing optional?

I loved your pictures.

Look forward to the continuing report.

Marilyn

Shoreguy:

What deck is the adult sundeck? Is that on deck 14? I didn't see in on the Jewel. It was clothing optional?

I loved your pictures.

Look forward to the continuing report.

Marilyn

The "Freestyle Sundeck" is on deck 15 foward. It holds maybe 30 chairs, surrounded by frosted glass, and designed to allow private sunbathing.

165368458_JewelTAFSSundeck.jpg.693ffab0f974654204f2eb442c0b9a98.jpg

Hi Shoreguy,

Enjoyed your pics! Welcome home.

Do you have a similar list of things you liked better on Jewel? Just wondering if anything stands out.

Last time the "clothing optional" thing came up I promised Klaus I would post to clarify, so I guess I should do it again. He says it's a "topless" sunbathing deck. ;) That is, unless shoreguy has first-hand experience to the contrary. :eek:

Hi Shoreguy' date='

Last time the "clothing optional" thing came up I promised Klaus I would post to clarify, so I guess I should do it again. He says it's a "topless" sunbathing deck. ;) That is, unless shoreguy has first-hand experience to the contrary. :eek:[/quote']

Topless is correct :D Same for me on all sundecks

Hi Shoreguy' date='

Do you have a similar list of things you liked better on Jewel? Just wondering if anything stands out.

[/quote']

Here are some random things that I found better.

1. Garden Cafe - the station layout really makes the flow better. No more standing in line.

2. The Great Outdoors - back from the Sun - this will be a popular space once the ship gets to Miami.

3. Mama's Kitchen - the toughest reservation on the ship - far better then the dressed up area of the buffet on the Dawn. Great spot for breakfast. Many used it as a game room during the day.

4. The pool area - much more room - Two full sized pools - the water slide was a blast - it is fresh water. With almost no kids onboard the adults got to use it.

5. The massive areas on the Sun Decks - you should have no problem finding a chair to sit in the Sun.

6. In general all the additional seating in all the specialty resturants makes last minute reservations very easy. Lower cost then the Dawn Bistro $10 Cagneys $15

7. The balcony in Stardust has much better sight lines. Many complained about the lack of a center or side aisles on the main level. No issue for me.

8. The information systems will be better on the Jewel - the resturant status boards, the pagers allowing you to wander off until your table is ready, iteractive TV is coming to check you bill, book shore excursions and order room service.

9 the restaurant reservations are now all online. A card swipe and a couple of touches on the screen and you are booked.

10. In general the Jewel has better outside space and technology, In my view the Dawn better inside space.

Great pics Shoreguy...just one request....do you think you can sail on the Spirit somewhere between when it comes out drydock and thanksgiving? We will be on her for turkey day and would love some great first hand coverage and pics :D

Great pics Shoreguy...just one request....do you think you can sail on the Spirit somewhere between when it comes out drydock and thanksgiving? We will be on her for turkey day and would love some great first hand coverage and pics :D

Okay! Here's a new profession for SHOREGUY: we can P*A*Y him to cruise for us and write reviews for us ... a true CRUISE CRITIC! I'm sure he'd just LOVE to cruise 365 days a year.

So ... here's the one I want you to do for me, SHOREGUY ... 29 days from Australia to San Francisco, 4/17/07, on the Sapphire Princess. There are very few staterooms left, so you'd better book quickly!:D

~D

Archived